Mrs. Granger Cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
March 04, 2009, 11:40 AM

Here is a bit of good news now to brighten up the day: the part of Mrs. Granger (the mother of Hermione) has been cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The Coleraine Times reports that Michelle Fairley has been cast "to play the part of Mrs Granger, a Muggle dentist and the mother of Hermione Granger, one of Harry's two best friends, played by Emma Watson." Michelle Fairley says of the part: "It's not a very large part, maybe three or four scenes which will take just a few days filming. But it's very nice indeed for me." Editor's Note: Readers will recall that in Deathly Hallows, Hermione, in order to save her parents from the Death Eaters, modified the memories of her parents, gave them new names, and sent them off to Australia.

The actress, who is currently doing stage work in England, goes on to describe some early hurdles she had to overcome to get the part. Quotage: "They wanted to do shooting for the film on the press day for the play I'm in at the Old Vic which meant me being in the theatre all day. So, initially I couldn't do it.
"So it looked as if the part was gone until the director came back and said that he wanted me for the part. They have now arranged new dates for the shooting which will take a couple of days.

"I'm delighted as I've a lot of friends and family and their children who all love Harry Potter, so it's lovely to be involved.
"I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies or read any of the books," admitted Michelle, who now plans to watch the films and read the books in preparation for her part.

Filming is underway on both parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, with Part One due November of 2010, and Part Two due July, 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Ahh_thumb

OMG! This is exciting news. But I’m wondering why they are giving Hermione’s parents screen time when they are cutting out Bill and Fleur (If I am correct?).
I wonder if they’ll give her a first name? Also, if Mr. Granger will be cast. Any which way this is exciting news to me!!!!!

Posted by spicefan78 OoM1 {ROAR!} on March 04, 2009, 03:53 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_ravenclaw_thumb

I’m glad to see such a part cast, things like that don’t seem normal to cast, they cut out the Gaunts after all. Why don’t people even watch the movies? At least she will.

Posted by Edna_Turnblad on March 04, 2009, 03:54 PM report to moderator
Imagen009_thumb

mmmmm ok, I never consider it

Posted by selene21 (ROAR) on March 04, 2009, 03:57 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I am rather fascinated that she has apparently been accorded a significant role in the movie. I do not believe that she even appeared in the book. Nevertheless, I look forward to seeing her on screen and hope that she gives a good performance.

Posted by Kirk on March 04, 2009, 03:58 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Cool. Maybe she’ll be at the Burrow or something and she’ll meet everyone? Haha. I don’t know. They usually change the movies, so I’m not surprised that she’s cast :T

Posted by Christine on March 04, 2009, 04:01 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Cool. Maybe she’ll be at the Burrow or something and she’ll meet everyone? Haha. I don’t know. They usually change the books*, so I’m not surprised that she’s cast :T

Posted by Christine on March 04, 2009, 04:01 PM report to moderator
Fangirl_thumb

Wow, I wouldn’t have expected them to actually DO anything with Hermione’s parents. I figured it’d just be some quick, passing explanation on where they went, and would then move on with the rest of the film. I’m glad they’re looking at details. :)

On another note, of the few pictures I’ve seen on her, I think Michelle would make a great Mrs. Granger.

Posted by Miss Smarticle on March 04, 2009, 04:03 PM report to moderator
Triogrounds2cut_thumb

this is odd… this kinda reminds me of something from a peice of fanfiction or something… but hey i’m not complaining. it makes me very happy that even a minor character wants to prepare for a part that she knows loads of people are going to watch. unlike other actors that have even larger roles. if you catch my drift. long live actors that care about their characters! ok sorry rant over.

Posted by kayzz on March 04, 2009, 04:10 PM report to moderator
Greathornedowl_thumb

I think her parents are being included in DH because Hermoine’s character tends to be “overwritten” in the movies. Gotta focus on Hermoine and her parents, to the exclusion of other characters actually “in” the book! sigh

Posted by PhoenixFlight [ITC!] on March 04, 2009, 04:31 PM report to moderator

This is kind of annoying… They cut out characters integral to the plot in the books, but we’re getting Mrs Granger in the movie? Why?

Posted by halcyon /roar/ on March 04, 2009, 04:38 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

I just wonder what will be going through her head when she’s reading the books – “Man, when am I going to show up?” I think the Grangers make, like, three on screen appearances in the entire series, all of them either at King’s Cross or Diagon Alley.

Also, what surprises me is that she says she’s going to be in about 4 scenes, and I have no clue what those scenes would be. One of them would be Hermione modifying their memories, I guess, but I can’t think of any other one, much less three more.

Maybe they show up at the Battle of Hogwarts with a legion of Mecha Kangaroos!!!

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on March 04, 2009, 04:41 PM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

I think it’s great to get some of Hermione’s back story in the films.

Posted by Garden State Geek on March 04, 2009, 04:43 PM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

My only disappointment with the books is that JKR never told us more about Hermione’s family life. I’m glad to hear DH will have something about Hermione modifying her parents’ memories and having them shipped off to Australia. It was a very touching scene in the book.

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on March 04, 2009, 04:56 PM report to moderator
Playermodel

wow i can’t belive that they’ll be casting someone for hermione mother

Posted by jonfrog {ROAR} on March 04, 2009, 05:10 PM report to moderator
Mypicture_thumb

That’s so exciting! I wonder what scenes she will be in though, as we don’t see her at all in the book. Congratulations!

Posted by FlourishandBlotts (RAWR) on March 04, 2009, 05:13 PM report to moderator

"You stay here with him!" Harry said to Krum. "I'll get Dumbledore, I'll be quicker, I know where his office is --"[br]"He is mad," said Krum doubtfully, staring down at Crouch, who was still gabbling to the tree, apparently convinced it was Percy.