Mrs. Granger Cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
March 04, 2009, 11:40 AM

Here is a bit of good news now to brighten up the day: the part of Mrs. Granger (the mother of Hermione) has been cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The Coleraine Times reports that Michelle Fairley has been cast "to play the part of Mrs Granger, a Muggle dentist and the mother of Hermione Granger, one of Harry's two best friends, played by Emma Watson." Michelle Fairley says of the part: "It's not a very large part, maybe three or four scenes which will take just a few days filming. But it's very nice indeed for me." Editor's Note: Readers will recall that in Deathly Hallows, Hermione, in order to save her parents from the Death Eaters, modified the memories of her parents, gave them new names, and sent them off to Australia.

The actress, who is currently doing stage work in England, goes on to describe some early hurdles she had to overcome to get the part. Quotage: "They wanted to do shooting for the film on the press day for the play I'm in at the Old Vic which meant me being in the theatre all day. So, initially I couldn't do it.
"So it looked as if the part was gone until the director came back and said that he wanted me for the part. They have now arranged new dates for the shooting which will take a couple of days.

"I'm delighted as I've a lot of friends and family and their children who all love Harry Potter, so it's lovely to be involved.
"I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies or read any of the books," admitted Michelle, who now plans to watch the films and read the books in preparation for her part.

Filming is underway on both parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, with Part One due November of 2010, and Part Two due July, 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Harryavatar_thumb

Woot – my first ever tip-to-LC Story! :D

Posted by coppertopchopperhopper on March 04, 2009, 12:49 PM report to moderator
Hpmaggie2_copy2_thumb

Of course we’re not getting Bill & Fleur’s wedding, Bill has never been in the films (except in the newspaper clip of their family trip to Egypt in POA) and Fleur has not been seen since DH, why would they bring them back now? The most we can hope for is to substitute Tonks & Lupin’s wedding instead. But suddenly it’s critical to waste valuable screen time on scenes with Hermione’s mother, a total non-character in the books? What are they going to cut in order to make time for that? The trip to Godric’s Hollow, perhaps? Malfoy Manor? Ron leaving and his reunion with Harry after the doe? I’d forgotten how hard Kloves works to make sure that Emma is on screen as much as possible, whether she was there in the books or not. I love Emma Watson, and I love Hermione, but I am so freaking sick of them deviating from the books this way, adding things that have NO bearing on Harry’s journey or the trio within the books, and taking away canon that we WANT to see.

Posted by Headmistress LemonFaerie on March 04, 2009, 12:59 PM report to moderator
Baby_harry_thumb

I don’t think it’s odd at all. In the movies, they try to make things more in the present than Jo does in the books, because of the difference in the medium. Things need to be very “here” in the films, because dialogue just doesn’t have the same impact. In a book, you can have characters talking about what someone did in the past and it be fine, but with a movie, you want to see it. Seeing Mrs. Granger (perhaps only post memory charm? or a before and after?) would really make the point that the bedroom scene tries to make, but with more impact for a move-going audience. Same concept as the added scene in HBP with the death eater attack. I think it’s cool. :)

Posted by savingharry on March 04, 2009, 01:07 PM report to moderator
Baby_harry_thumb

Oh, and she is (as always with HP) brilliantly cast. look at this photo of her:

Doesn’t she look exactly like you’d expect Emma’s mother to look? They certainly favor each other, even more so than Tom and Jason.

Posted by savingharry on March 04, 2009, 01:09 PM report to moderator
Paolo_nutini2_thumb

good luck to her !!! ;D

Posted by Sidish_black6 [WBM] on March 04, 2009, 01:12 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

I’d like to know why they’ve cut out so many characters in the movies (Dobby was only in CoS…sniff) and now they’re just throwing in a character that hasn’t even got a scene in the books (exept for that short one in DH). Why do you do this…whoever-is-in-charge-of-these-things?

Still, congrats to the actress who got the part. I’m happy that she’s willing to read the books…unlike SOMEONE

Posted by Dances with Dobby on March 04, 2009, 01:15 PM report to moderator
The_leaky_cauldron_thumb

is there a picture of her anywhere?

Posted by JustZoe »ROAR« on March 04, 2009, 01:16 PM report to moderator
L_14a5217ad3d6474c94123a84eb762af8_thumb

I find this amazing. They cut all these scenes in the book and they are adding something that is only mentioned. I would have rather them spent time with Bill and Fleur’s wedding. I am still at a loss how they are going to do the movie without it.

Posted by lilhpchick20 on March 04, 2009, 01:22 PM report to moderator
Biker_old_lady4done_use_thumb

I don’t know about this. Why bring in a character who is barely mention in the books but not have Bill in the movie? Whose house is Harry suppose to be at after Dobbie’s death? If they can bring in a non character at this point, why not have Bill ?

Posted by Cool G on March 04, 2009, 01:24 PM report to moderator
Laurie_kins_yahoo

I’m excited to get a look at Hermione’s mother.

Posted by snapealicious on March 04, 2009, 01:24 PM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

that lovey i hope she plays her well in the movie.

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on March 04, 2009, 01:26 PM report to moderator
Ravenclawd_normal_thumb

She actually look a bit like I thougt Mrs Granger wouldl… GREAT

Posted by DobbyandWinky WBM!!! on March 04, 2009, 01:27 PM report to moderator
Menkit_thumb

Wow, really? Were Hermione’s parents ever really mentioned besides a little bit in DH? I don’t understand x_x

Posted by Sarabi on March 04, 2009, 01:29 PM report to moderator
Cropped_thumb

Yes I agree with VermontWizard! Is there still somebody who dosen’t know anything about Harry Potter!!! i hate people who says that they don’t know anything about Harry Potter!!!

Posted by ~ Asi ~ on March 04, 2009, 01:32 PM report to moderator
Dsc01852_thumb

I love love love the fact that she’s going to “read the books” in prep for her role. HAHA, I would love to see her reaction after 3000 or so pages and realizing her character has never had a line! This could be a nice little acting showcase for Emma though if they’re going to include a potentially emotional scene where Hermione sends her parents away.

Posted by SFenton24 on March 04, 2009, 01:47 PM report to moderator

"I've got a broom!" said Ginny.[br]"Yeah, but you're not coming," said Ron angrily.[br]"Excuse me, but I care what happens to Sirius as much as you do!" said Ginny, her jaw set so that her resemblance to Fred and George was suddenly striking.