Mrs. Granger Cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
March 04, 2009, 11:40 AM

Here is a bit of good news now to brighten up the day: the part of Mrs. Granger (the mother of Hermione) has been cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The Coleraine Times reports that Michelle Fairley has been cast "to play the part of Mrs Granger, a Muggle dentist and the mother of Hermione Granger, one of Harry's two best friends, played by Emma Watson." Michelle Fairley says of the part: "It's not a very large part, maybe three or four scenes which will take just a few days filming. But it's very nice indeed for me." Editor's Note: Readers will recall that in Deathly Hallows, Hermione, in order to save her parents from the Death Eaters, modified the memories of her parents, gave them new names, and sent them off to Australia.

The actress, who is currently doing stage work in England, goes on to describe some early hurdles she had to overcome to get the part. Quotage: "They wanted to do shooting for the film on the press day for the play I'm in at the Old Vic which meant me being in the theatre all day. So, initially I couldn't do it.
"So it looked as if the part was gone until the director came back and said that he wanted me for the part. They have now arranged new dates for the shooting which will take a couple of days.

"I'm delighted as I've a lot of friends and family and their children who all love Harry Potter, so it's lovely to be involved.
"I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies or read any of the books," admitted Michelle, who now plans to watch the films and read the books in preparation for her part.

Filming is underway on both parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, with Part One due November of 2010, and Part Two due July, 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Avatar_thumb

NOW if they cut Bill and Fluer’s wedding I am going to be real pissed. Why is this lady in 3 or 4 scenes, she should be in 1…maybe. I am hopeful that one of her scenes is the wedding, but I won’t hold my breath.

Posted by GF_of_Seamus on March 04, 2009, 12:14 PM report to moderator
Burtondeppavvie_thumb

I haven’t been on Leaky for a while, I’d forgotten how angry you lot get about nothing..

Posted by Linnyish on March 04, 2009, 12:18 PM report to moderator
Keep_calm_hrh2_thumb

She’d better start reading!! LOL! Yay, we get to see Mrs. Granger!!!

Posted by tinagin [ROAR]! on March 04, 2009, 12:18 PM report to moderator
108_thumb

I am glad she is going to be doing her research!

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on March 04, 2009, 12:22 PM report to moderator
Hp-trio-dhx_thumb

okay,that’s just…weird( i guess i’ll never understand the film makers logic:cut out important characters,but keep charecters who were only mentioned)
well,we’ll see how this turns out.

Posted by xxIBelieveInNarglesxx on March 04, 2009, 12:23 PM report to moderator
Smartgirlsrule_thumb

I don’t really understand where they’re going to be adding Hermione’s mom (I suppose a flash back to the memory spell?), but I’m glad to hear that casting and filming have commenced!

Posted by phoenixphire24 (ROAR!!!) on March 04, 2009, 12:24 PM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

I just have this vision of this actress sitting down to watch all the movies to see her character. Oh, wait. We never see her character in the movies, unless it’s a very brief scene in COS. And then she’ll start reading the books looking for Hermione’s mother (what, no father?). Oops, she’s only ever mentioned. We never hear her talk to anyone, so what really is the point of putting her in at all.

Hagrid’s tale, a whole chapter in the book, was covered in less than five mintues by Hagrid telling them. Hermione’s parents get even less page time than that, and they have three or four scenes to shoot?

Argh! Give me Bill and Fleur’s wedding, please, and Lupin talking about the birth of their son Teddy. Or time at Tonks’s parents’ house, or Shell Cottage, or . . .

rolls eyes Whenever they talk about adding, it means that something else has been cut. I have to wonder what’s been cut to add a character that really has no importance in the story beyond what Hermione tells Ron and Harry.

Posted by Eeyore on March 04, 2009, 12:27 PM report to moderator
Muahaha_thumb

This sounds interesting. When I read about Hermione’s parents in the book, I always envisioned the scene played out in some way or another.

Posted by ScottMan on March 04, 2009, 12:29 PM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

I appreciate her honesty in stating that she HAS NEVER read the books or seen the movies…but, isn’t it always nice to hear an actor or actress cast in the upcoming films that says, “I am so proud to be a part of such a big phenomenon! I’ve read all of the books and followed the films as well. To have a part, large or small, in this world-wide literary and cinematic explosion is an honor”. Too much to ask for? Wouldn’t we all just drool for a part of Mr. or Mrs. Granger? 2 lines or 200…to be a part of HP history would be amazing.

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on March 04, 2009, 12:32 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

oohh does she have bushy hair like hermione?? haha
this is cool guys….i’ve always had a mental image of hermione’s mom & now we’ll be able to see her on film (:
i do wish bill & fleur’s wedding was on there though ://

Posted by Mary11_hplvr*WBM* on March 04, 2009, 12:32 PM report to moderator
Thio_palha_o_msn_thumb

I agree with Sash1113, This scene is very emotionally charged. I think it’s great that they are planning to show us this! And that will be a big scene for Emma to play!

Now… she said she would be seeing the movies and reading the books for a part as small as this? God! Will someone please ask her to play Dumbledore?

Posted by Thio on March 04, 2009, 12:33 PM report to moderator
Masterofmystery08_thumb

" We never hear her talk to anyone, so what really is the point of putting her in at all."

@ Eeyore: The point is to pimp up Hermione’s role even more than it is already in the book. They have most likely already given her all of Ron’s good lines and scenes, then cut out Bill and Fleur. We’ll most likely see Lupin and Tonks only once, when they lie dead in the Great Hall at the end of DH. But I guess it’s more important to see Hermione’s mother than keeping with the actual book, although that book was quite amazing as it was written. shrugs

Posted by galadriel12 (ROAR) on March 04, 2009, 12:37 PM report to moderator
Merlin_thumb

Yeah, I’m sure this is a desire to show-not-tell. So we’ll see them opening up a dental office in Canberra or something. Maybe they’ll take over from the guy from Finding Nemo, who lost his mind when all his fish escaped. I’m guessing it’s not really going to be three or four REAL scenes … maybe something like Hermione explaining what she did and we get a few five-second cutaways to her zapping them, them packing, etc.

Posted by Dean O'Carroll on March 04, 2009, 12:38 PM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

Forgive me if I’ve missed something…have we heard that they’re not shooting Bill and Fleur’s wedding? Or are we just speculating? If they don’t, they had better get pretty creative as to how we learn all of the informational nuggets that Auntie Muriel spills at the wedding!

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on March 04, 2009, 12:40 PM report to moderator
Lunaworm2_thumb

Actually, three or four scene IS a large part, considering they have completely cut many important characters in the past. Not sure if I’m happy or not about this news, I mean, they could easily just mention Hermione’s mother without having to show her. Or maybe they want to add as more characters as possible in DH part 1, since in the book we see only the Trio for the most part (which could get a bit boring)

Posted by LoonyLucy on March 04, 2009, 12:47 PM report to moderator

"Get him, save him, he's only just gone through!"[br]"It's too late, Harry --"[br]"We can still reach him --"[br]Harry struggled hard and viciously, but Lupin would not let go...[br]"There's nothing you can do, Harry... nothing... He's gone."