Mrs. Granger Cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
March 04, 2009, 11:40 AM

Here is a bit of good news now to brighten up the day: the part of Mrs. Granger (the mother of Hermione) has been cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The Coleraine Times reports that Michelle Fairley has been cast "to play the part of Mrs Granger, a Muggle dentist and the mother of Hermione Granger, one of Harry's two best friends, played by Emma Watson." Michelle Fairley says of the part: "It's not a very large part, maybe three or four scenes which will take just a few days filming. But it's very nice indeed for me." Editor's Note: Readers will recall that in Deathly Hallows, Hermione, in order to save her parents from the Death Eaters, modified the memories of her parents, gave them new names, and sent them off to Australia.

The actress, who is currently doing stage work in England, goes on to describe some early hurdles she had to overcome to get the part. Quotage: "They wanted to do shooting for the film on the press day for the play I'm in at the Old Vic which meant me being in the theatre all day. So, initially I couldn't do it.
"So it looked as if the part was gone until the director came back and said that he wanted me for the part. They have now arranged new dates for the shooting which will take a couple of days.

"I'm delighted as I've a lot of friends and family and their children who all love Harry Potter, so it's lovely to be involved.
"I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies or read any of the books," admitted Michelle, who now plans to watch the films and read the books in preparation for her part.

Filming is underway on both parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, with Part One due November of 2010, and Part Two due July, 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

I can’t wait.

Posted by LochDoc on March 05, 2009, 09:15 PM report to moderator
Lexi_dumbledore_harry_wands_thumb

She’ll learn all about Hermione from reading the books and watching the movies, so she can play her mother perfectly for 30 seconds. Yay, if only a few other actors would follow her lead. ahem, ahem.

Posted by Lexi*the*Auror on March 05, 2009, 11:15 PM report to moderator
3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

That’s odd. No Bill but there’s Hermy’s mother. Er… It doesn’t make sense. :(

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on March 06, 2009, 03:14 AM report to moderator
Dscf0369_thumb

I’ll be interested to see how big a part this turns out to be – hope they don’t change the story too much!!

Posted by Minerva McGonagall on March 06, 2009, 05:10 AM report to moderator

But the most “saddest” thing is that the actress who was cast had never read any of the books or seen any of the movies, and she probably believes that her character is in the books from time to time..

Posted by Sonja43 on March 06, 2009, 10:00 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

This doesn’t make any sense in the world. First she isn’t mentioned in the book. Second why are they deleting scenes and adding them? And finally, I thought we had our Mrs Granger already? Wasn’t she in Chamber of Secrets in flourish and blotts with Mr Granger talking to Arthur Weasley?

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on March 07, 2009, 03:02 AM report to moderator
Rh7_thumb

It’s weird that she hasn’t read or watched any of them, but I like that she is dedicated enough to her (small) role that she is going to. Very different take than that of other more major actors in the films cough GAMBON cough
I loved that J.K.Rowling mentioned Australia in the books at some point. We got recognition – yay!

Posted by bec majec *roar* on March 07, 2009, 05:08 AM report to moderator
Masterofmystery08_thumb

Sonja43: “IMO: The most POINT-LESS casting in the history of the HP movies, I mean WHAT excatly is the point of this…I really don´t get it…To give Hermione more screentime by showing her modifying her mothers memory??”

I’m afraid that’s the reason. I mean, Kloves was writing the script and he’s not only a huge Hermione fan (nothing wrong with that of course) and completely smitten with Emma. The more screentime Emma gets, the better.

The sad thing is, Hermione already is very prominently featured in the book DH, so there should be no need to pimp up her role any more. She is awesome as JKR has written her and I would have loved to see that onscreen. But alas. I’m sure Ron’s story of trying to protect his family by making the Ghoul in the attic look like himself with spattergroit will NOT be shown in the movie. Heck, why show something that actually is in the movie and on top of that does show Ron of all characters in a good light when we can have Mrs Granger and in consequence more Hermione in the movie. (I love Hermione and and Emma, so this is nothing against the character and the actress playing her, but I am just annoyed at some of the weird descision by the WB)

Posted by galadriel12 (ROAR) on March 07, 2009, 05:43 AM report to moderator
Dsc02251_thumb

Why are they putting this in?? I’d rather have a good scene!! I mean hermione’s parents are only mentioned in the book they aren’t important to the plot!! And why cast a new actress why not use the actress they used in Chamber of Secrets?? Warner Brothers are very strange!! I think there’s a monkey writing the script! (That was a bit uncalled for! Sorry WB But why put this in no-one cares about it!)

Posted by ChantyBabez on March 07, 2009, 08:57 AM report to moderator
Lmlmlm_thumb

I’m surprised they’re going to film the scene of Hermione sending her parents to Australia, considering it’s only mentioned in passing in the book. And I’m surprised they’re doing this while cutting the scenes of characters we know better.

Nevertheless, it should be interesting.

Posted by SlytherinDragoon on March 07, 2009, 02:27 PM report to moderator
Young_riddle2_thumb

wow, thats cool. i really can’t wait for this movie, they seem to be including everyone. and goodluck lillie lovegood, hope you get the part :D

Posted by iLoveDolores [FTC!] on March 07, 2009, 09:44 PM report to moderator
Imagescad1mlxa_thumb

Good for her!

Posted by muggle..andproudofit =:) on March 08, 2009, 12:42 PM report to moderator
0oh__snap___xx04_thumb

is there any photos of her? i kinda want to see what they liked so much that they’d reschedule shooting. x3

and i would actually really love to see the scene where Hermione modifies her parent’s memories. probably pretty emotional for her. ^^ but for all we know it could be for a different scene.. a reunion, perhaps?

Posted by iceymoon [Cygnus] on March 08, 2009, 11:23 PM report to moderator
Groucho2_thumb

I can understand a quick shot toward the end of DH, after Voldy is gone, Hermione reuniting with her parents in a brief 10 seconds of tearful embraces and then cut to next scene. that makes sense, a nice “happy ending” moment that brings closure …but more that that sure don’t.

In CoS, the actors were:
Tom Knight … Mr. Granger
Heather Bleasdale … Mrs. Granger
and you cannot even see Bleasdale’s face

Posted by budb on March 09, 2009, 12:25 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

she looks pretty good for the part i think.

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on September 10, 2009, 05:20 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

As a surprise for Harry, they had painted a large banner on one of the sheets Scabbers had ruined. It said Potter for President, and Dean, who was good at drawing, had done a large Gryffindor lion underneath. Then Hermione had performed a tricky little ch