Mrs. Granger Cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
March 04, 2009, 11:40 AM

Here is a bit of good news now to brighten up the day: the part of Mrs. Granger (the mother of Hermione) has been cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The Coleraine Times reports that Michelle Fairley has been cast "to play the part of Mrs Granger, a Muggle dentist and the mother of Hermione Granger, one of Harry's two best friends, played by Emma Watson." Michelle Fairley says of the part: "It's not a very large part, maybe three or four scenes which will take just a few days filming. But it's very nice indeed for me." Editor's Note: Readers will recall that in Deathly Hallows, Hermione, in order to save her parents from the Death Eaters, modified the memories of her parents, gave them new names, and sent them off to Australia.

The actress, who is currently doing stage work in England, goes on to describe some early hurdles she had to overcome to get the part. Quotage: "They wanted to do shooting for the film on the press day for the play I'm in at the Old Vic which meant me being in the theatre all day. So, initially I couldn't do it.
"So it looked as if the part was gone until the director came back and said that he wanted me for the part. They have now arranged new dates for the shooting which will take a couple of days.

"I'm delighted as I've a lot of friends and family and their children who all love Harry Potter, so it's lovely to be involved.
"I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies or read any of the books," admitted Michelle, who now plans to watch the films and read the books in preparation for her part.

Filming is underway on both parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, with Part One due November of 2010, and Part Two due July, 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

36090_413317180969_787035969_4440390_4514136_n_thumb

Well, another addition to the cast list! Very good! As someone once put it, “On with the show!”

Posted by Confederate Lady [CL, Rawwrrrr] on March 05, 2009, 08:35 AM report to moderator
Groucho2_thumb

In the CoS film, the roles of H’s parents were played by Tom Knight and Heather Bleasdale … were they not available so we can have continuity of cast?

Also, some of you have forgotten that H’s parents also appear briefly in the last chapter of OotP, and not just in Diagon Alley in CoS. But that’s really it.

I must say that I’m surprised there’s anyone out there who —except for deeply held religious reasons —has not seen any of the HP movies or read any of the books! Rather hard to avoid watching tv, reading to one’s kids, etc etc.

Other than one scene toward the very end (H reuniting with her parents after the fall of Voldy), I see no point in this role at all.

But, hey, we’ll go see the movie, we’ll buy the dvds….

I envy those of you that will still be around when the remake is begun in 30 years…..

Posted by budb on March 05, 2009, 08:54 AM report to moderator
Groucho2_thumb

hi Molly W and C Lady…and to any other friends I may have missed

Posted by budb on March 05, 2009, 08:59 AM report to moderator
108_thumb

I can’t wait for the movie!

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on March 05, 2009, 10:04 AM report to moderator
Gryffindor-cat-is-not-amused_thumb

this is neato but at the same time a little strange? i can’t imagine mr./mrs. granger having any lines in the film, maybe just a memory montage while hermione explains that she sent them to australia

Posted by stuckinanhpmoment on March 05, 2009, 03:01 PM report to moderator
Deathly-hallows-symbol-harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-564456_1422_1545_thumb

wow…so they’re cutting the wedding and putting her in instead? no offence to whoever this lady is but I’d have preferred Fleur and Bill….

Posted by justwannaWrock on March 05, 2009, 03:06 PM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

Little bit odd isn’t it? They were hardly in it and yet there cutting out Bill and Fleurs wedding?!

Werid.

N8846922_43549767_6482_thumb

i hope her scenes are really short so it doesn’t take away too much from the story. and i feel kind of bad for her, reading all the books to “get a sense of the character” only to find out her character is mentioned a few times in passing! we don’t even get a first name, do we?

Posted by avrenim [WBM!] on March 05, 2009, 03:35 PM report to moderator
Littleburrow_thumb

I don’t think they should have a flashback of her. There are so many flashbacks in DH i don’t think they need to make up another one. I would think they are going to be at the wedding. I don’t think the wedding is confirmed cut yet.

Posted by decarus on March 05, 2009, 03:52 PM report to moderator
Groucho2_thumb

Leaving everything else aside, IF there was to be a wedding scene, we should have heard casting news for Fluer (presumably Clémence Poésy would return?), Bill and Charlie Weasley, Victor Krum ( Stanislav Ianevski —remember the importance of Gregoravitch the wandmaker?), and possibly even Aunt Muriel (or somehow work in Rita Skeeter —Miranda Richardson) to talk trash about Dumbledore.

And later for DH there would need to be Scrimgeour (how are harry and company supposed to get the stuff from Dumbledore’s will?) , Ollivander ( John Hurt) and Griphook (Verne Troyer)…I haven’t heard of any of these roles being cast either.

Doesnt make sense to me to add even a small role without first ensuring the storyline is clear and then nailing down the major players, preferably the same actors who had previously played the role.

There are two ways to work in the wedding at this point —one, suggested by many others here at Leaky, would be to turn it into Lupin and Tonks’ wedding; drawback to that is that even a 10 year old will start counting on his/her fingers to figure out how long between the wedding and the arrival of the baby (unless there is no baby Teddy?)! the other would be to end HBP with Ron saying something like “Yeah, but before you go off after Horcruxes, you need to come to my house this summer. Remember ole Fleur Delacoeur? She’s marrying my brother Bill!” and let it go at that. No one that has seen a preview screening has said that is what happens, tho.

We’ll still go to the movies, let’s be honest, and we’ll be buying the dvds too! Then we can always look forward to the extended version, or the directors’ versions, and…..

Posted by budb on March 05, 2009, 04:15 PM report to moderator
5372_224657370337_510970337_7616810_5737149_n_thumb

I find it strange that with all of the things that have been cut in the past, Hermione’s mother made it in. Although I think it’s really great, because Hermione’s actions for her parents’ safety show the severity of the war, Mr. and Mrs. Granger are never actually shown in the books or the films. Except for the two-second shot of them in Chamber of Secrets, where they don’t talk.

Posted by choirgeek on March 05, 2009, 05:35 PM report to moderator
Lights-_by_hakupuff_thumb

I’m excited to see her character.

Posted by Samantha on March 05, 2009, 07:27 PM report to moderator
Iconator_ff20bdd615cdbf54d1de3fc9cdfe44ed_thumb

Cool! I wonder what exactly will the Grangers do?

Posted by Harry89 !ROAR! on March 05, 2009, 07:55 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_owl_main_thumb

Woo, Mrs. Granger! I was wondering whether they were going to have Hermione’s parents in the film. Yay!

Posted by Owlet on March 05, 2009, 08:17 PM report to moderator
Chrissypuff_thumb

very random indeed. but thats awesome she is going to actually prepare for the part!

Posted by ChrissyPuff on March 05, 2009, 09:10 PM report to moderator