Rhys Ifans Talks His New Role in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows as a "Great Guy"

DH Film
March 31, 2009, 07:13 AM

Late last week, actor Rhys Ifans (Notting Hill, Elizabeth: The Golden Age) announced on the BBC program Friday Night with Jonathan Ross he was joining the cast of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. TLC was first to report that Rhys Ifans would be portraying the role of Xenophilius Lovegood, Luna's eccentric father and publisher of the Quibbler magazine. In a new interview today with Indie London, Mr. Ifans now goes on to describe joining the cast of the final Harry Potter films, saying "its kind of  a real honour" to be asked to join the series, and that his character is "a good wizard – a really great guy."  He also notes he is going to be filming a part in Nanny McPhee Two with actress Emma Thompson (who as readers will recall declined to return to Deathly Hallows as Prof.Trelawney in order to focus on the second Nanny film). Full quotage as follows:

Q. Are you taking any time off?
Rhys Ifans: No. I hit the ground running. I’m working with Ben Stiller now. I fly back to LA on Thursday to do Greenberg, a Noel Baumbach film, with Ben, and Jennifer Jason Leigh. Then I fly back here to do Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows, and after that I’ll do Nanny McPhee 2, with Emma Thompson. So I’m busy, busy, busy.

Q. Who do you play in Harry Potter? And is this something quite new for you, to be doing family orientated movies?
Rhys Ifans: I play a wizard. The last few Harry Potter films, I think they’re really cool. I was never a real fan of Harry Potter, but I love how they’ve become darker, and I love how Daniel Radcliffe and his co-stars have grown up through the telling of the story. Harry Potter is a little bit of history; it will be. So it’s been kind of a real honour being asked to be part of a project like that, and though I haven’t got kids myself, a lot of my friends have kids, so it’ll be great to do something they can see. He’s a good wizard – a really great guy. In Nanny McPhee, I’m a bad guy, someone you’d boo and hiss at.

You can see many photos of Rhys Ifans here in our Image Galleries.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Lunanargles_thumb

yay luna’s dad!

Posted by calliet2b4g on March 31, 2009, 07:25 AM report to moderator
11723820-5b9d22023dddf8a43ff58441c54cbe16

Excellent choice for this quirky but loveable character. Hopefully they will include ALL the Xenophilius Lovegood scenes in the last two movies.

Posted by Mobius on March 31, 2009, 07:29 AM report to moderator
Photo_1_thumb

I think he will be an amazing dad for Luna. I think they will feed nicely off each other. I can’t wait!

Posted by Lulu42 on March 31, 2009, 07:38 AM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Cool. I can’t wait to see him all in costume and stuff! :]

Posted by Christine on March 31, 2009, 08:14 AM report to moderator
P4093399_thumb

I love this choice…(as all the actors they choose really…)… Oh God!!! It’s the beginning of the end already!

Posted by Natalia {ROAR} on March 31, 2009, 08:16 AM report to moderator
Copy_of_hg_thumb

I hope he will be good for the role! :)

Posted by Edza on March 31, 2009, 08:23 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I cannot wait until we see pictures of him performing in this particular role.

Posted by Kirk on March 31, 2009, 08:33 AM report to moderator
Ahh_thumb

I can’t wait to see these films! I’m sure he’ll be great!!!!!

Posted by spicefan78 OoM1 {ROAR!} on March 31, 2009, 08:39 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Here’s hoping that we DO get the wedding and that they dress Xeno and Luna in yellow and we get Auntie Muriel saying that bit about Xenophilius looking like an omlette (actually I don’t mind too much if Muriel isn’t there but surely someone has GOT to say that line!)

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on March 31, 2009, 08:41 AM report to moderator
Download_thumb

he has a lot ridding on his shoulders cause that character has a big part in the book

Posted by Leander21[WBM] on March 31, 2009, 09:28 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

He sounds good enough for me! Hope they include him in the wedding scene as well. Then again, they probably will have to if they don’t want the Trio randomly saying at a certain point in the movie “Oh, I’ve heard that Luna’s dad will probably know about this symbol. Let’s go ask him”.

Posted by Dances with Dobby on March 31, 2009, 09:33 AM report to moderator
N1314356338_7633_thumb
20582 Points

wow!! he will be brill! he was so fun as spike in notting hill!

Posted by ٭Ĥ☻ğđ☻ъъÿ٭ Ř☻äř٭ on March 31, 2009, 09:36 AM report to moderator
Pc060024_thumb

Rhys will be awesome!
I cannot wait to him all dressed up in his robes haha!

Posted by Bekhee on March 31, 2009, 09:39 AM report to moderator
Ravenclawd_normal_thumb

He will be awesome!

Posted by DobbyandWinky WBM!!! on March 31, 2009, 10:07 AM report to moderator
Keep_calm_hrh2_thumb

I love this guy. I think he’ll be great Xeno!

Posted by tinagin [ROAR]! on March 31, 2009, 10:17 AM report to moderator

"If you made a better rat than a human, it's not much to boast about, Peter," said Black harshly.