Rhys Ifans to Play Xenophilius Lovegood in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
March 27, 2009, 07:39 PM

Tonight, scores of readers let us know that actor Rhys Ifans announced on the Friday Night with Jonathan Ross program broadcast this evening on the BBC that he would be appearing in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. While Mr. Ifans did not state which role he would be portraying, TLC can report that Rhys Ifans will be taking on the part of Xenophilius Lovegood, Luna's eccentric father and publisher of the Quibbler magazine. A rather fitting photo of Mr. Ifans as an elaborately garbed person can be seen here. During his appearance, TLC reader Neil writes that Rhys Ifans said  the "HP wardrobe people flew out to Spain to fit him for his robes while on the set of Mr Nice," a film which is now in post production. Rhys Ifans has appeared in many films, notably Notting Hill, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, and the soon to be released The Boat that Rocked. Update: You can now see additional photos of Rhys Ifans here in our Image Galleries. Also thanks to ComingSoon.net we can see video of his announcement via YouTube.

On a related note, UHP emailed us to let us know they spoke with agents for actress Clemence Poesy about her possible return to the part of Fleur in Deathly Hallows, however the negotiations are ongoing, and nothing is certain yet. We are working to learn more on this and will update when we can.

Please note: As with all the others, WB has not yet officially confirmed any of these casting reports, and we continue to await a formal release on these, however TLC believes the casting of Mr. Ifans as Xeno to be correct.

Thanks to SS, and especially Will, Nick, Neil, and all the readers who emailed about the Jonathan Ross announcement!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Chapter19_thumb

This is truly awesome news. I adore him. I can’t wait to see his portrayal of Lovegood.

Posted by Discribble on March 28, 2009, 04:31 PM report to moderator
Dsc00162_thumb

Not how I’d pictured the character at all. I suppose Bob Hoskins would be too old, but still…

Posted by dcrazmo {ROAR} on March 28, 2009, 05:25 PM report to moderator
Doggles_thumb

PERFECT casting again!

Posted by bingobango on March 28, 2009, 05:50 PM report to moderator
Avator_thumb

he’s a bit younger than i imagined but still looks the part!

Posted by ellamia on March 28, 2009, 05:58 PM report to moderator
Choices_thumb

I loved him in Notting Hill! He’ll be perfect as Xeno. LOL

Posted by dillypoo on March 28, 2009, 06:01 PM report to moderator
Choices_thumb

I loved him in Notting Hill! He’ll be perfect as Xeno. LOL

Posted by dillypoo on March 28, 2009, 06:01 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

He’s PERFECT!!! I thought Bob Hoskins was going to play him, but this guy is an excellent choice. Not only does he kind of look like Evanna Lynch aka Luna Lovegood…he’s also got a perfect balance of quirkiness and creepiness going on. Love this decision!!

Posted by cghambright on March 28, 2009, 06:14 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

He is a little young, but the makeup people on the Harry Potter films are sooo good they can definitely make him look older. But the character wouldn’t be that old…Luna’s only about 15 or 16 in Deathly Hallows.

Posted by cghambright on March 28, 2009, 06:15 PM report to moderator
Lily_evans_thumb

I hope he does Xeno he is Rhys is a great actor.

Posted by Athenamalfoy on March 28, 2009, 06:58 PM report to moderator
Poa-09_thumb

When I saw him mentioning Harry Potter on Jonathon Ross I knew that this was new info I hadn’t heard before – i would have remembered the news! I just really hope thatt hey don’t forget the yellow robes and give him longer hair!

Posted by Matilda S. on March 28, 2009, 07:26 PM report to moderator

ehhh

ehhhhhhh
ehhhhhhhhh
i’m iffy on this…seems waaaaay too young
but we’ll see… Im pretty sure ive seen notting hill, and he was good in that, so we’ll see..

honestly, even if he can pull it off, i think the script has a LOT more to do with it

(one last thing) does this mean Xeno’s part is in the second, since hes not even confirmed yet?

Posted by Zoom on March 28, 2009, 08:35 PM report to moderator
Leaky_thumb

Oh no – total fail!

I like Rhys Ifans, but this isn’t how I pictured Xeno at all. Isn’t he supposed to be quite old? I pictured him as more like … I dunno … Benjamin Franklin, actually!

I’d love to see him in an HP movie, but not this role!

Posted by Ravenclawed on March 28, 2009, 08:37 PM report to moderator
Leaky_thumb

John Malkovich!

John Malkovich would have been an AWESOME Xeno Lovegood !!!

Posted by Ravenclawed on March 28, 2009, 08:37 PM report to moderator
2v8o186_thumb

I guess it could work with some make up..nothing like I imagined but yeah…what can you do?

Posted by morgannnn yo! {roar} on March 28, 2009, 08:42 PM report to moderator
108_thumb

I pictured an older character but I think he will be great for the part.

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on March 28, 2009, 08:56 PM report to moderator

"Well, we think [Hagrid's] a bit of a joke in Ravenclaw," said Luna, unfazed.[br]"You've got a rubbish sense of humor then," Ron snapped...[br]Luna did not seem perturbed by Ron's rudeness; on the contrary, she simply watched him for a while as though he