Rhys Ifans to Play Xenophilius Lovegood in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
March 27, 2009, 07:39 PM

Tonight, scores of readers let us know that actor Rhys Ifans announced on the Friday Night with Jonathan Ross program broadcast this evening on the BBC that he would be appearing in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. While Mr. Ifans did not state which role he would be portraying, TLC can report that Rhys Ifans will be taking on the part of Xenophilius Lovegood, Luna's eccentric father and publisher of the Quibbler magazine. A rather fitting photo of Mr. Ifans as an elaborately garbed person can be seen here. During his appearance, TLC reader Neil writes that Rhys Ifans said  the "HP wardrobe people flew out to Spain to fit him for his robes while on the set of Mr Nice," a film which is now in post production. Rhys Ifans has appeared in many films, notably Notting Hill, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, and the soon to be released The Boat that Rocked. Update: You can now see additional photos of Rhys Ifans here in our Image Galleries. Also thanks to ComingSoon.net we can see video of his announcement via YouTube.

On a related note, UHP emailed us to let us know they spoke with agents for actress Clemence Poesy about her possible return to the part of Fleur in Deathly Hallows, however the negotiations are ongoing, and nothing is certain yet. We are working to learn more on this and will update when we can.

Please note: As with all the others, WB has not yet officially confirmed any of these casting reports, and we continue to await a formal release on these, however TLC believes the casting of Mr. Ifans as Xeno to be correct.

Thanks to SS, and especially Will, Nick, Neil, and all the readers who emailed about the Jonathan Ross announcement!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

I really hope this gets confirmed. I think he’d be brilliant!

Posted by KayWeasley on March 27, 2009, 10:09 PM report to moderator
Dscf3733_02_thumb

i love him!
i saw him in the replacements with keanu reeves,
and he was probably my favorite character.

they picked very well.
i’m excited.
:DDD

Posted by duo_93 on March 27, 2009, 10:12 PM report to moderator
Luna_thumb

This is fantastic news! Brilliant casting!

zr

Posted by ZoeRose on March 27, 2009, 10:16 PM report to moderator
Voldyneedsahug_thumb

He fits perfectly!

Posted by squeefulhuffie on March 27, 2009, 10:17 PM report to moderator
Capture_thumb

ah yes finally!i have been waiting for this! And i think he’ll do just fine!

Posted by ChaseT on March 27, 2009, 10:19 PM report to moderator
Hp6d09467xg8_tn_thumb

perfect!

Posted by on March 27, 2009, 10:33 PM report to moderator

I know him from Notting Hill, The Replacements, and Little Nikky. He can definately play the part, he’s amazing. I pictured Xeno as a foot shorter than him (he’s 6’2") and 3 feet wider, but Rhys will change my image in the first two seconds I’m sure. imdb says it’s pronounced Reese Ee-vans.

Posted by Patricia421 on March 27, 2009, 10:34 PM report to moderator

While I love Rhys in Little Nicky, I’m still holding out for Eddie Izzard (whom you can now follow on Twitter) as Xeno. Clemence coming back would be awesome. Really, though, I think Rhys Ifans may be too young to be Xeno. Eddie’s closer.

Posted by RumourBuster3000 on March 27, 2009, 10:34 PM report to moderator
4266_95379003085_554113085_2686657_2975125_n_thumb

awesome :)!

Posted by Sam H. on March 27, 2009, 10:46 PM report to moderator
Snapeharry_thumb

That’s interesting…

Posted by missskye «Я☼AR» {OoM2} on March 27, 2009, 10:48 PM report to moderator
Img_1798_thumb

It’s Spike from Notting Hill!! I’m pretty sure that is the only thing I’ve seen him in, haha. I think he can pull off Xeno.

Posted by Kim on March 27, 2009, 11:02 PM report to moderator
Fish_02_thumb

SOOOO EXCITED!!!

Posted by Gobbledygook [Sparrow] [WBM] J.O.R. on March 27, 2009, 11:41 PM report to moderator
Tale_of_three_bros

Interesting choice….He’ll be great.
However I DID expect someone….older?

Posted by Marauder (OM1C) on March 27, 2009, 11:56 PM report to moderator
Siriusblack_thumb

HAHAHAHAHA cool! i think he’s perfect!

Posted by Shalanarah on March 28, 2009, 12:15 AM report to moderator
Quidditch_2012_thumb

I just don’t see it. I like the actor and he’s definitely eccentric enough to be Xeno, but he’s certainly not what I expected. Hopefully it works out :)

Posted by muzic823{ROAR} on March 28, 2009, 12:17 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Come back, boy!" she shouted, but Neville was rising straight up like a cork shot out of a bottle -- twelve feet -- twenty feet. Harry saw his scared white face look down at the ground falling away, saw him gasp, slip sideways off the broom and -- WHAM -