Rhys Ifans to Play Xenophilius Lovegood in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
March 27, 2009, 07:39 PM

Tonight, scores of readers let us know that actor Rhys Ifans announced on the Friday Night with Jonathan Ross program broadcast this evening on the BBC that he would be appearing in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. While Mr. Ifans did not state which role he would be portraying, TLC can report that Rhys Ifans will be taking on the part of Xenophilius Lovegood, Luna's eccentric father and publisher of the Quibbler magazine. A rather fitting photo of Mr. Ifans as an elaborately garbed person can be seen here. During his appearance, TLC reader Neil writes that Rhys Ifans said  the "HP wardrobe people flew out to Spain to fit him for his robes while on the set of Mr Nice," a film which is now in post production. Rhys Ifans has appeared in many films, notably Notting Hill, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, and the soon to be released The Boat that Rocked. Update: You can now see additional photos of Rhys Ifans here in our Image Galleries. Also thanks to ComingSoon.net we can see video of his announcement via YouTube.

On a related note, UHP emailed us to let us know they spoke with agents for actress Clemence Poesy about her possible return to the part of Fleur in Deathly Hallows, however the negotiations are ongoing, and nothing is certain yet. We are working to learn more on this and will update when we can.

Please note: As with all the others, WB has not yet officially confirmed any of these casting reports, and we continue to await a formal release on these, however TLC believes the casting of Mr. Ifans as Xeno to be correct.

Thanks to SS, and especially Will, Nick, Neil, and all the readers who emailed about the Jonathan Ross announcement!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

never heard of him.

Posted by Bradyboy on March 27, 2009, 09:22 PM report to moderator
Hg53qu2_thumb

He can do quirky and all, but doesn’t he seem a little young to be playing the father of a teenager? Maybe it’s just me, but Xeno was more than just odd, he was committed to his vision of truth, which gave him a maturity that he otherwise would not have had. I hope Rhys can pull that off.

Posted by Chrysanthemum on March 27, 2009, 09:23 PM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

Rhys Ifans is a character actor and I think that he will thoroughly enjoy the part of Theophilius, and it isn’t difficult to age up if required. Surrounded by the heavyweights of the HP team he isn’t going to make a mess of it is he?

Posted by Graymayne on March 27, 2009, 09:34 PM report to moderator
Img_3521_thumb

I can’t wait to see Xeno in the films. He looks the part, but I hope he does it justice.

Posted by McGiggles92 on March 27, 2009, 09:35 PM report to moderator
Small_wizard_rock_page_logo_thumb

Yeah, he does play pretty wacky roles by the looks of it!! I only just realised you’d posted this- I’m glad you took a better look at the photos than I did Sue!! The one you linked to is great!! All we need is for someone to photoshop it so his coat is egg yolk yellow and it would be perfect!! :-)

As for Miss Posey; well if they’re in negotiations that’s great!! At least it looks like Fleur has been kept in. The more people they bring back the better as far as I’m concerned!!

Posted by Neil in Scotland * ROAR! * on March 27, 2009, 09:36 PM report to moderator
Small_wizard_rock_page_logo_thumb

P.s. Well done on narrowing down the role the he will be playing!! You rock!

Posted by Neil in Scotland * ROAR! * on March 27, 2009, 09:38 PM report to moderator
Scarff_copy_thumb

VEERRRRRYYYY nice! he should be great!look is right, at least! lol :)

Posted by weasleyalltheway(rrooaarr!) on March 27, 2009, 09:42 PM report to moderator
Iconator_77bb337efe9e8c2f9da191f0c527a9f4_thumb

haha he looks like such a playboy!

Posted by Great Uncle Algie on March 27, 2009, 09:45 PM report to moderator
Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

I’ve never seen him act before. I like his face for Xeno.. not so much his hair. I pictured almost-shoulder-length blonder hair.. Hopefully WB will change his hair :]

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on March 27, 2009, 09:46 PM report to moderator
L_32b0eddba4eb43718eb38ffa016162b2_thumb

Not quite what I had in mind for Xeno but I’m sure once he is in make up and costume he will fit just right. He seems a bit young for what I always pictured. As for Fluer, I hope they get the same actress again. I just love when they do that for continuity’s sake.

Posted by phantomdave79 on March 27, 2009, 09:47 PM report to moderator
Thecave_thumb

He’s not how I pictured Xeno, but he is a perfect actor for this. Completely quirky, he plays fantastic over the top characters. Yes, I think I love this casting.

Posted by mollywobble on March 27, 2009, 09:53 PM report to moderator
Thecave_thumb

Ifans is 40 guys, more than old enough to play a 16-year-old’s dad. MOEgir198, I was thinking Hoskins too, but I still like this choice.

Posted by mollywobble on March 27, 2009, 09:58 PM report to moderator
Ph191_thumb

huh, interesting choice. Not quite what i expected. I pictured Xenophilius being more plump, but whatever. I’m sure he’ll do a great job! I hope Clemence Poesy reprises her role as Fleur too!

Posted by PotterYay on March 27, 2009, 09:59 PM report to moderator
20110227_001_thumb

Hmm…I hope they’re going to age him up because he looks SO much younger than what I pictured.

Posted by Bookworm_Weasley {HS} {ROAR} on March 27, 2009, 10:02 PM report to moderator
Icon_thumb

OMGWHAT!?!? I mean, I love the guy, but I cannot see him as Xeno. Nope. Not at all.

Posted by Heather [Conure] [WBM] on March 27, 2009, 10:06 PM report to moderator

...Dean Thomas, who was very good at drawing, had put up some impressive new banners, most of which depicted Harry zooming around the Horntail's head on his Firebolt, though a couple showed Cedric with his head on fire.