Tom Felton Talks Potter Actor Jam Sessions, and Wizard Rockers Draco and the Malfoys

Felton
March 24, 2009, 10:02 AM

Actor Tom Felton recently gave a new interview to Feltbeats.com, where the Draco Malfoy actor discussed his love of music, jamming on the set with fellow Harry Potter actors, and even a bit on Wizard Rockers Draco and the Malfoys.

While it isn't quite the Weird Sisters at work on set, Tom Felton first discussed his long love of music, and time spent with fellow cast members playing music on the set. Quotage from the interview:

TF:As far as jamming on the set with people, I know James Phelps is a big guitar man. I think he's more into his electric, shredding up the e-string and that sort of thing. He was always working, though, as well, so we never actually got a chance. One of the young chaps, Freddie Stroma (Cormac) - we had a little jam once on one of the nicer days outside. He brought his guitar and I had mine. And some of the crew members as well.

FB: Were you wearing your school uniforms while you were playing?
TF: Yes, I think so. It was a really sunny day the day we played so I remember being really hot in my uniform outside!

FB: And doesn't Matt Lewis play?
TF: And Matt Lewis, yeah! I didn't realize he jammed on the strings! He sent me a message the other day. He said, "Loved the new song; I really want the chords." And I didn't realize he played the guitar. That's cool, that's cool. We've got another jammer on the list.

FB: Yeah, you guys should have, like, a Harry Potter Reunion Tour.
TF: Yeah, that's it. We should have a band, shouldn't we? Brilliant.

Talk then turned to the wildly popular Wizard Rock, where Tom Felton described learning of the fan based rock music recently while here in Florida, where he spoke on the phone to members of Draco and the Malfoys (Brad and Brian). In what is surely a cool thing, Tom described this encounter as follows:

TF: Well, you know, when I was in America, I was brought aware of this thing called wizard rock. Are you aware of such a thing?

FB: Oh, yeah, definitely!
TF: Oh my god, I had no idea that people were actually making a living out of singing about, you know, Harry Potter! It's craaazy, man! I find that so fun!

FB: Have you heard any of the songs, then?
TF: The funny thing is, we met a lady once who actually sung in one of the bands. And she got some of her friends on the phone. I think it was a band called 'Draco and the Malfoys'?

FB: Yeah, yeah!
TF: Yeah, it's quite random! And I spoke to them, and was like, "Hello, nice to meet you." I won't lie, I thought it was a novelty thing; I didn't realize it had this huge following! And they actually have gigs and stuff! I was like, "Wow!" I mean, 'Draco and the Malfoys' actually toured Europe! It's incredible.

FB: And have you heard their song "Tom Felton's Kinda Hot"?
TF: Well, I think I heard about that... Aren't there guys in that band?

FB: Yes, but it is from Draco's perspective, see? All the songs in wizard rock are from the perspective of the character the group is named after. So this song is about how Draco thinks you're a good actor to play him in the movies.
TF: Well, there you go. How bizarre! How bizarre. Wow, well, that gives me more insight!

Thanks to Feltbeats, and much to Emma from Snitchseeker, who emailed about their questions that Tom answered!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Felton News

Rh7_thumb

haha how amusing

Posted by bec majec *roar* on March 24, 2009, 07:39 PM report to moderator
Jonas_thumb

Haha! Cool interview!

Posted by NargleCatcher on March 24, 2009, 08:48 PM report to moderator
Jonas_thumb

Haha! Cool interview!

Posted by NargleCatcher on March 24, 2009, 08:48 PM report to moderator
Iconator_1219385d1bc508ea565d4c902a6f052d_thumb

Thats awesome.

Posted by Kara000 ~ROAR~ on March 24, 2009, 08:53 PM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2010-10-29_at_12

Spectacular interview!!!!!!!!!! I love how he knows about wrock! He’s amazing!! I had no idea that Matt and James played guitar too, that’s awesome!!!!!!!

Posted by KatherineWeasley on March 24, 2009, 09:13 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

Certainly an entertaining and illuminating interview! Thanks for linking.

Posted by Kirk on March 24, 2009, 09:14 PM report to moderator
L_32b0eddba4eb43718eb38ffa016162b2_thumb

LOL! That’s pretty cool. When two worlds collide!

Posted by phantomdave79 on March 24, 2009, 09:32 PM report to moderator

There should be a new genre called Wizard-Actor Rock. Really a lot of them are musicians!

Posted by greenfire on March 24, 2009, 09:51 PM report to moderator
Mollyfied_thumb

That’s really adorable, especially his initial befuddlement over the song about him by DatM. Glad to see he’s gained this insight!

Posted by Whisperwing*ROAR!* on March 24, 2009, 11:07 PM report to moderator
Mollyfied_thumb

Oh! Oh! The boys should all play their instruments and have Evanna do the singing! Now that would be ‘freaking awesome’!

Posted by Whisperwing*ROAR!* on March 24, 2009, 11:08 PM report to moderator
2vjooj9_thumb

yay! i luv tom felton. he is such a good singer. i love his songs! :DD

Posted by nyteflite on March 24, 2009, 11:39 PM report to moderator
Infinitus_avatar_thumb

This interview was really funny. I loved that he talked about the wrock thing from his perspective as an actor. And how he thinks we are weird, which I totally agree with because I think we are (and I am personally proud of it).

Posted by Miss Freewind on March 25, 2009, 01:18 AM report to moderator
Pru2_thumb
2016 Points

OK so I have one small request… when that Jam session happens someone record it! Maybe they could record them Jamming and use it as an underbed (music underneath) Potterwatch – or something random like that… could you imagine – it would be awsome…

Have to say though he’s taking the fact that a band about the Character he plays in Potter – who has done more then him musically (at this point), like touring – REALLY well. What a gentlemen!

Posted by JustSuperMione on March 25, 2009, 04:35 AM report to moderator
Tonks_thumb

tom felton is kinda hot :)

Tonks_thumb

YES JustSuperMione they should so record them… maybe they could post the videos online or something :)

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"So," sneered Fudge, recovering himself, "you intend to take on Dawlish, Shacklebolt, Dolores, and myself single-handed, do you, Dumbledore?"[br]"Merlin's beard, no," said Dumbledore, smiling. "Not unless you are foolish enough to force me to."