Tom Felton Talks Potter Actor Jam Sessions, and Wizard Rockers Draco and the Malfoys

Felton
March 24, 2009, 10:02 AM

Actor Tom Felton recently gave a new interview to Feltbeats.com, where the Draco Malfoy actor discussed his love of music, jamming on the set with fellow Harry Potter actors, and even a bit on Wizard Rockers Draco and the Malfoys.

While it isn't quite the Weird Sisters at work on set, Tom Felton first discussed his long love of music, and time spent with fellow cast members playing music on the set. Quotage from the interview:

TF:As far as jamming on the set with people, I know James Phelps is a big guitar man. I think he's more into his electric, shredding up the e-string and that sort of thing. He was always working, though, as well, so we never actually got a chance. One of the young chaps, Freddie Stroma (Cormac) - we had a little jam once on one of the nicer days outside. He brought his guitar and I had mine. And some of the crew members as well.

FB: Were you wearing your school uniforms while you were playing?
TF: Yes, I think so. It was a really sunny day the day we played so I remember being really hot in my uniform outside!

FB: And doesn't Matt Lewis play?
TF: And Matt Lewis, yeah! I didn't realize he jammed on the strings! He sent me a message the other day. He said, "Loved the new song; I really want the chords." And I didn't realize he played the guitar. That's cool, that's cool. We've got another jammer on the list.

FB: Yeah, you guys should have, like, a Harry Potter Reunion Tour.
TF: Yeah, that's it. We should have a band, shouldn't we? Brilliant.

Talk then turned to the wildly popular Wizard Rock, where Tom Felton described learning of the fan based rock music recently while here in Florida, where he spoke on the phone to members of Draco and the Malfoys (Brad and Brian). In what is surely a cool thing, Tom described this encounter as follows:

TF: Well, you know, when I was in America, I was brought aware of this thing called wizard rock. Are you aware of such a thing?

FB: Oh, yeah, definitely!
TF: Oh my god, I had no idea that people were actually making a living out of singing about, you know, Harry Potter! It's craaazy, man! I find that so fun!

FB: Have you heard any of the songs, then?
TF: The funny thing is, we met a lady once who actually sung in one of the bands. And she got some of her friends on the phone. I think it was a band called 'Draco and the Malfoys'?

FB: Yeah, yeah!
TF: Yeah, it's quite random! And I spoke to them, and was like, "Hello, nice to meet you." I won't lie, I thought it was a novelty thing; I didn't realize it had this huge following! And they actually have gigs and stuff! I was like, "Wow!" I mean, 'Draco and the Malfoys' actually toured Europe! It's incredible.

FB: And have you heard their song "Tom Felton's Kinda Hot"?
TF: Well, I think I heard about that... Aren't there guys in that band?

FB: Yes, but it is from Draco's perspective, see? All the songs in wizard rock are from the perspective of the character the group is named after. So this song is about how Draco thinks you're a good actor to play him in the movies.
TF: Well, there you go. How bizarre! How bizarre. Wow, well, that gives me more insight!

Thanks to Feltbeats, and much to Emma from Snitchseeker, who emailed about their questions that Tom answered!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Felton News

Me_thumb

Love him! He plays the guitar, he’s funny and hot!

Posted by Dances with Dobby on March 24, 2009, 02:55 PM report to moderator
Th_hufflepuff2_thumb

That’s awesome! I’m so glad that at least one of the HP actor’s knows about Wizard Rock!

Posted by lunalovegood97 on March 24, 2009, 03:09 PM report to moderator
Acciobooks_thumb

Good interview but the article missed the whole point- Matt Lewis plays the guitar! ;)

Posted by potterhead23 on March 24, 2009, 03:14 PM report to moderator

This is pretty funny. LoL…

Posted by on March 24, 2009, 03:26 PM report to moderator
Dsc02251_thumb

Awesome! :D x

Posted by ChantyBabez on March 24, 2009, 03:37 PM report to moderator
Imagen009_thumb

good interview

Posted by selene21 (ROAR) on March 24, 2009, 03:39 PM report to moderator

Hmmm. Guess Entertainment Weekly is just a US thing. Draco and the Malfoys were pictured in the Nov. 14th issue where the DVD “We Are Wizards” was reviewed. http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20241376,00.html
I guess it goes to say that Tom Felton has also not seen himself in the DatM fanvids on YouTube either. “My Dad is Rich” will always be one of my favorite Wizard Rock songs.

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on March 24, 2009, 03:50 PM report to moderator
Snape_vs__sirius_normal_thumb

That’s great! I love that so many of our favorite faces are also musicians.:) So cool. Tom’s response to Wrok reminds me of my own. I just found out about the “Wizard Rock” side of famdom recently, too, and I’m still being surpized at how “big” a thing it really is (for instance, "Draco and the Malfoy’s toured Europe? I think that this article might be the first I’ve heard of that…). Awsome

Posted by Lunabelle7 on March 24, 2009, 03:52 PM report to moderator
Scarff_copy_thumb

thats so awesome! he seems like such a cool person to talk to. i love hearing the stars talk about wrock ;)!

Posted by weasleyalltheway(rrooaarr!) on March 24, 2009, 03:53 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_girl_thumb

awww he’s so cute! i LOVED the part about wizard rock and the dinosaurs!!! and haha hp jam sessions….. that’d be something to see!!!

Posted by ameema on March 24, 2009, 03:55 PM report to moderator
Z_thumb

he’s minee :)

Posted by chocolaterabbits on March 24, 2009, 03:58 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

He’s so amazing! :) I love the comment about the song. LOL.

Posted by Christine on March 24, 2009, 04:04 PM report to moderator

Hahahaa you cAn tell they are amazed bu sort Of think we’re creepers at the same tiiime lol. He sounds so uncertain by the way im reading it :P

I guess you really got to experience it to truely NOT think we’re creepers.
My favorite thing was when i was hangin outside the nyc wrock fest w/ alex& explaining to some middle aged women who worked near by what was going on in there

xD

Posted by KaraDawlish on March 24, 2009, 04:11 PM report to moderator

I guess you really got to experience it to truely NOT think we’re creepers.

xD

Posted by KaraDawlish on March 24, 2009, 04:11 PM report to moderator
L_9109ce48d9b16291674b205c03cb8e2b_thumb

“…this song is about how Draco thinks you’re a good actor to play him in the movies.”
“How bizarre! How bizarre.”

hahaha, it’s too good.

Posted by Czechmetz on March 24, 2009, 04:16 PM report to moderator

[Hermione] glanced over at Ron too. "[i]He[/i] doesn't want me to join in."[br]There was no arguing with this, as Ron chose that moment to say loudly, "If Scabbers hadn't just been [i]eaten,[/i] he could have had some of those Fudge Flies. He used to real