Tom Felton Talks Potter Actor Jam Sessions, and Wizard Rockers Draco and the Malfoys

Felton
March 24, 2009, 10:02 AM

Actor Tom Felton recently gave a new interview to Feltbeats.com, where the Draco Malfoy actor discussed his love of music, jamming on the set with fellow Harry Potter actors, and even a bit on Wizard Rockers Draco and the Malfoys.

While it isn't quite the Weird Sisters at work on set, Tom Felton first discussed his long love of music, and time spent with fellow cast members playing music on the set. Quotage from the interview:

TF:As far as jamming on the set with people, I know James Phelps is a big guitar man. I think he's more into his electric, shredding up the e-string and that sort of thing. He was always working, though, as well, so we never actually got a chance. One of the young chaps, Freddie Stroma (Cormac) - we had a little jam once on one of the nicer days outside. He brought his guitar and I had mine. And some of the crew members as well.

FB: Were you wearing your school uniforms while you were playing?
TF: Yes, I think so. It was a really sunny day the day we played so I remember being really hot in my uniform outside!

FB: And doesn't Matt Lewis play?
TF: And Matt Lewis, yeah! I didn't realize he jammed on the strings! He sent me a message the other day. He said, "Loved the new song; I really want the chords." And I didn't realize he played the guitar. That's cool, that's cool. We've got another jammer on the list.

FB: Yeah, you guys should have, like, a Harry Potter Reunion Tour.
TF: Yeah, that's it. We should have a band, shouldn't we? Brilliant.

Talk then turned to the wildly popular Wizard Rock, where Tom Felton described learning of the fan based rock music recently while here in Florida, where he spoke on the phone to members of Draco and the Malfoys (Brad and Brian). In what is surely a cool thing, Tom described this encounter as follows:

TF: Well, you know, when I was in America, I was brought aware of this thing called wizard rock. Are you aware of such a thing?

FB: Oh, yeah, definitely!
TF: Oh my god, I had no idea that people were actually making a living out of singing about, you know, Harry Potter! It's craaazy, man! I find that so fun!

FB: Have you heard any of the songs, then?
TF: The funny thing is, we met a lady once who actually sung in one of the bands. And she got some of her friends on the phone. I think it was a band called 'Draco and the Malfoys'?

FB: Yeah, yeah!
TF: Yeah, it's quite random! And I spoke to them, and was like, "Hello, nice to meet you." I won't lie, I thought it was a novelty thing; I didn't realize it had this huge following! And they actually have gigs and stuff! I was like, "Wow!" I mean, 'Draco and the Malfoys' actually toured Europe! It's incredible.

FB: And have you heard their song "Tom Felton's Kinda Hot"?
TF: Well, I think I heard about that... Aren't there guys in that band?

FB: Yes, but it is from Draco's perspective, see? All the songs in wizard rock are from the perspective of the character the group is named after. So this song is about how Draco thinks you're a good actor to play him in the movies.
TF: Well, there you go. How bizarre! How bizarre. Wow, well, that gives me more insight!

Thanks to Feltbeats, and much to Emma from Snitchseeker, who emailed about their questions that Tom answered!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Felton News

I didn’t know that phelps and Matt Lewis played the guitar…

Posted by Bradyboy on March 24, 2009, 12:10 PM report to moderator
Ron_and_hermione2_thumb

thats a cool interview. its gud that the actors are aware of the wrock bands.
tom and draco and the malfoys shud do a duet

Posted by sunshine123ROAR on March 24, 2009, 12:10 PM report to moderator

Oh dear. The people interviewing him obviously didn’t know much about Wizard Rock…

Posted by Amy Snow on March 24, 2009, 12:21 PM report to moderator
Menkit_thumb

Haha, what a neat interview :) I like how Tom is in touch with the fandom. Hopefully they’ll make that wrock band some day ;)

Posted by Sarabi on March 24, 2009, 12:31 PM report to moderator
Iconator_0a5624c43952b5b07b84c03f790d87aa_thumb

Wow, he seemed truly unphased there was a song out there about him being Hot. Lol, still, he seemed to me to be a little disconected from the fan community. bring on the flames now XD So, I know that’s not a popular opinion but. . .

Posted by House of Awesome on March 24, 2009, 12:34 PM report to moderator
Ravenclawd_normal_thumb

That was just AMAZING

Posted by DobbyandWinky WBM!!! on March 24, 2009, 12:38 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

SO GREAT.

All I got to say.

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on March 24, 2009, 12:41 PM report to moderator
N8846922_43549767_6482_thumb

what a good interview! i would love to hang out with tom felton.. he seems like such a cool guy. i hope he, james phelps, and matt lewis do actually start a band :D

Posted by avrenim [WBM!] on March 24, 2009, 12:47 PM report to moderator
60c9c9ed966148bcbf9c4a4258e60858_1__thumb

That was a funny interview!

Posted by FrancescaElle on March 24, 2009, 12:48 PM report to moderator
Bb0d8cadc6614c0d_thumb

That was hilarious!

Posted by Sirius_Craic on March 24, 2009, 01:34 PM report to moderator
Mugsp_profile_thumb

Aww…that reminds me when my coworkers had jam sessions. I miss it! :(

Posted by eiVega on March 24, 2009, 01:36 PM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

Netalia Tena is quite a good singer too. You can check that out as one of the bonus features of the OotP DVD.

Posted by Garden State Geek on March 24, 2009, 02:21 PM report to moderator
Myleaky_avie_2_thumb

Wow, that is pretty awesome. I think Tom is one of my new favorite actors. :)

Posted by Hermionegirl on March 24, 2009, 02:36 PM report to moderator
Mefleming_thumb

Tom Felton rocks. I hope he does form a band out of cast and crew members – he could open for Draco and the Malfoys!

Posted by NDduLac [Dodo] on March 24, 2009, 02:48 PM report to moderator
Ahh_thumb

I loved that interview. It’s always nice to hear how the actors spend their downtime while waiting for the next shot to be set up!

Posted by spicefan78 OoM1 {ROAR!} on March 24, 2009, 02:53 PM report to moderator

"One does not parade the fact that one is All-Knowing. I frequently act as though I am not possessed of the Inner Eye, so as not to make others nervous."[br]"That explains a great deal," said Professor McGonagall tartly.