Toby Jones Says Role as Dobby for Both Deathly Hallows Films

DH Film
March 16, 2009, 04:47 PM

Last January, we told you that actor Toby Jones would reprise his role in the Harry Potter films series by again providing the voice of Dobby the House Elf for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Today, the actor made mention of his return to the series by noting: " I’m currently doing the new Harry Potter film; in fact, the last two Harry Potter films."

Please note: As readers will recall, there has been much ado and speculation over the possible splitting of the films, with the events involving the beloved House Elf at Malfoy Manor and Shell Cottage often discussed. While most certainly we do not yet know where the breaking point in the films will take place, or what all this may mean, it is interesting to note the mention of his return for both movies. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows films is currently in production in England, with Part One set for release November 19, 2010, and Part Two due July 15, 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Lily_et_harry_by_fonsalis_thumb

AW! I cried when Dobby died in the books! I’m glad they’re not just cutting him out but are actually bringing him back. I am interested to see where they split it. I wonder if they will make it all dramatic and split it after Ron leaves.

Posted by TimeTurnerFanx on March 17, 2009, 06:32 PM report to moderator
Mcgonagalldh_thumb

Excellent! Dobby’s death will be a good opportunity for Dan to really show us some acting. I hope every one the younger actors understands that he/she has to step up their game for the DH films. We’re talking the end of the film series, folks. It’s do or die time! I want to see pain on some faces! I want to see the drama! As a matter of fact, if I go to HBP and Tom Felton doesn’t sell me that tower scene, I’ll be disappointed. HBP is the best stuff, scriptwise, that he’s been given and he’d better make me believe him!

Posted by iamminerva on March 17, 2009, 07:54 PM report to moderator
20110227_001_thumb

Hmmm this is intriguing. The split must be somwhere during the Malfoy Manor chapter because that’s the only chapter Dobby is in- he dies right at the end. Perhaps the first film will end when they all escape Malfoy Manor?

The only alternative I can see is that they’re shoving some extra Dobby stuff in, but I can’t really see where. The only feasible place for him to be really is in kreacher’s place, and that would make no sense. Dobby can’t tell us the tale of Regulus because Dobby was the Malfoys’ house elf, not the Blacks’. As far as I know, Dobby was still working at Hogwarts during DH…although he obviously had some way of contacting Aberforth.

This is very interesting news, and I am SO glad Dobby is back.

Posted by Bookworm_Weasley {HS} {ROAR} on March 17, 2009, 08:12 PM report to moderator
Dobbyyoda_thumb

Yeah! DH would be incomplete without Dobby. I’m thrilled to hear we may get to see the character in both!

Posted by bookishgal,OoM3,GS on March 17, 2009, 09:38 PM report to moderator
Th_goficons-mmarauder-38_thumb

Hmmmm. Very interesting.

Posted by mrh216 on March 18, 2009, 10:47 AM report to moderator
Maraudersmap_thumb

I still think they will split the movies at the Silver Doe and Harry going into the water. It’s a dramatic ending to the first movie and a dramatic beginning on the 2nd. Then, Dobby would be in both movies because their capture and being taken to Malfoy Manor is after that. At least I hope that’s the direction they are going and I hope they make Dobby’s death as dramatic as it is in the book. They need to treat him well.

Posted by rhadamenthes {ROAR} on March 18, 2009, 11:05 AM report to moderator
Mr

I’ve been terrible at keeping up with my HP news lately. But, I’m so glad to hear we’re not going to keep ignoring Dobby’s existence anymore. Yay!

Posted by Mr. Stratford on March 18, 2009, 12:13 PM report to moderator
1204091927_thumb

YAYYYYY ; DOBBY’S BACK!
I was terribly sad when I heard that Dobby wasnt going to be included in HP 4 & 5, So I’m so happy to hear that in DH he’ll be back.

Posted by Heroine Luna on March 19, 2009, 10:21 AM report to moderator
Kris_thumb

Dobby, a free house-elf. I have cried while reading the last book..
I’m glad they include him in the last movie. I think I will need to bring tissues with me in theather!

Posted by Karrelien on March 19, 2009, 01:56 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

How about if they split the film at the Lovegoods maybe when they hear the deatheaters arrive? That could be a real cliffhanger and gives a little time before Malfoy Manor in the opening of the second film, which would give it a really exciting beginning, from one bit of action and suspense to another with the short interlude when they listen to potterwatch and discuss where Voldemort may have hidden other Horcruxes when it could seem they are safe and then Harry says that name…..

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on March 21, 2009, 01:39 PM report to moderator
Greathornedowl_thumb

DH just wouldn’t be the same without Dobby. At least they had enough sense to include his character this time!

Posted by PhoenixFlight [ITC!] on March 21, 2009, 02:20 PM report to moderator
Fish_02_thumb

DOBBY!!! I’m going to cry so hard when harry’s burying him. :’(

Posted by Gobbledygook [Sparrow] [WBM] J.O.R. on March 21, 2009, 04:52 PM report to moderator
Z_thumb

dobby is one of my favorite characters _

Posted by chocolaterabbits on March 21, 2009, 05:29 PM report to moderator
Photo_24_thumb

Yes, if Dobby is to come back, he’ll have to play some role outside of Hogwarts, since the trio aren’t seen there until the final battle, long after poor Dobby has met his demise. It’ll be interesting to see what they do with him. Of course, it would have been better to have brought him back in HBP, in the sequence where Harry asks Kreacher and Dobby to spy on Malfoy. This would have served the dual purpose of re-introducing Dobby and letting us get to know Kreacher a little better before the final installments.

Posted by LupinAscending [WBM] on March 27, 2009, 12:07 PM report to moderator
5372_224657370337_510970337_7616810_5737149_n_thumb

AH, YAY. I am so happy that he is coming back, I really loved the voicing he did in the others :D

Posted by choirgeek on April 16, 2009, 08:15 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

For a split second, both Harry and Riddle, wand still raised, stared at it. Then, without thinking, without considering, as though he had meant to do it all along, Harry seized the basilisk fang on the floor next to him and plunged it straight into the he