Toby Jones Says Role as Dobby for Both Deathly Hallows Films

DH Film
March 16, 2009, 04:47 PM

Last January, we told you that actor Toby Jones would reprise his role in the Harry Potter films series by again providing the voice of Dobby the House Elf for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Today, the actor made mention of his return to the series by noting: " I’m currently doing the new Harry Potter film; in fact, the last two Harry Potter films."

Please note: As readers will recall, there has been much ado and speculation over the possible splitting of the films, with the events involving the beloved House Elf at Malfoy Manor and Shell Cottage often discussed. While most certainly we do not yet know where the breaking point in the films will take place, or what all this may mean, it is interesting to note the mention of his return for both movies. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows films is currently in production in England, with Part One set for release November 19, 2010, and Part Two due July 15, 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Jk-j-k-rowling-harry-potter-and-the-order-of-the-phoenix-unabridged-compact-discs_thumb
I am glad they are bringing Dobby back in the Deathly Hallows. I think he played as big a part as Kreacher did in DH, since he rescued Harry and his friends from the Malfoy Manor. I missed Dobby in GOF and OOTP especially when he was wearing all the hats hermione has sewn. It was very emotional when he died and I cried at the moment and a lot of other moments in DH. I am sure it will be very emotional in the movie when he dies. I also am looking forward to a lot of the parts in DH including the trio flying on the dragon after escaping Gringotts.
Posted by harrypotterbookpurist on March 16, 2009, 06:57 PM report to moderator
Films_dh_articles_dhew_11_thumb

I’m glad that he is back because I don’t know if anyone else could do a better Dobby voice than Toby Jones can.

Posted by harrypotter1991{ROAR} on March 16, 2009, 07:03 PM report to moderator

I think it would be pretty hard to get Dobby in both movies. To me it seems unnatural.

Posted by Heavenly_Horcrux on March 16, 2009, 07:09 PM report to moderator

I’m just glad they are finally putting him in there! I was always upset to find out he wasn’t coming back. I suppose we will see quite a bit of Dobby in Deathly Hallows to make his “leaving” more meaningful.

Posted by on March 16, 2009, 07:09 PM report to moderator
Phoenix_thumb

Yay Dobby!

Posted by Pottercastfan ∞∆ROAR!∆∞ on March 16, 2009, 07:10 PM report to moderator
Keep_calm_hrh2_thumb

Best news I’ve heard all day :)

Posted by tinagin [ROAR]! on March 16, 2009, 07:26 PM report to moderator
Muahaha_thumb

I’m guessing they’ll try to squeeze some of SPEW in there, or at the very least Hermione’s affection for House Elves.

Posted by ScottMan on March 16, 2009, 07:47 PM report to moderator
Biker_old_lady4done_use_thumb

At least we know he is going to be in both parts. I wonder if the second part is just to say " Harry Potter".

Posted by Cool G on March 16, 2009, 07:48 PM report to moderator
Img_7836_thumb

im so happy they are not cutting out dobby.
but…i wonder how they are going to make him be in both films. they BETTER not end the movie as they disapparate from the malfoy manor, right when harry finds out about dobby. , and then continue the next movie at shell cottage.
that would be ridiculously awful.
but idont think they are that idiotic…right?

Posted by kira902k on March 16, 2009, 07:54 PM report to moderator
L_s_icon_thumb

Yay for Dobby! Maybe they’re planning on cutting it just after Dobby disapparates with Luna and Dean? But then I thought it was supposed to be an emotional break…Unless they show flashbacks, but then those would be pre-recorded. Who knows.

Posted by VeganMudblood on March 16, 2009, 07:58 PM report to moderator
Photo_41_thumb

Love you Dobby!

Posted by rebel on March 16, 2009, 08:08 PM report to moderator
Beauty_and_the_beast2_thumb

Huh. That is interesting… I really don’t want the break to be between them leaving Malfoy Manor, and arriving at Shell Cottage though….
Unless they make the break right after Dobby shows up in the cellar…

Posted by NymphadoraTonksLupin on March 16, 2009, 08:09 PM report to moderator
065_thumb

Yeah, Dobby is back. Would love to have seen him more in the previous films. I’ll take what I can get.

Posted by potterversefan on March 16, 2009, 08:14 PM report to moderator
L_s_icon_thumb

Actually, wait…Maybe they end part 1 when Dobby apparates into the Malfoy Manor, when he says, “Harry Potter! Dobby has come to rescue you!” I thought it was emotional, and truthful, considering Harry hadn’t seen Dobby in a long time, and he comes to his rescue, remaining a loyal friend, and risking his own life. I think it would be a better cut than just before they apparate to Shell Cottage, anyway.

Posted by VeganMudblood on March 16, 2009, 08:14 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_owl_main_thumb

Yay! More Dobby! I’m probably going to cry when he dies…

Posted by Owlet on March 16, 2009, 08:22 PM report to moderator

"You are not in a position to bargain, Potter," said Lucius Malfoy, his pale face flushed with pleasure. "You see, there are ten of us and only one of you... or hasn't Dumbledore ever taught you how to count?"