Rumor Alert: A Second Test Screening Held for Half-Blood Prince?

HBP Film
March 11, 2009, 09:37 PM

Hang on everyone, as The Sun is reporting tonight a second "secret" test screening for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was held yesterday. In true tabloid fashion, the paper declares that "the handful of devotees came out blasting film bosses for making key characters and plot-lines from JK ROWLING’s best-seller disappear...as if by magic." As such, the article contains only negative reactions to this supposed screening, with no details provided on where and when these comments were made. One example of reactions as the paper writes " the Half-Blood Prince of the title barely features. Worse still the film was slammed as too SOPPY."

To read more, click here. We are trying to obtain more information about this test screening and will update with more when we can.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Riddle_thumb

I trust the Sun as much as I’d trust Mundungus Fletcher to sell me a real solid 24ct gold cauldron. From what I’ve seen from the trailers, they’ve got a nice mixture of everything, and so what if they cut out bits? They always do that. Just the media trying to cause a stir.

Posted by RiddleTM on March 12, 2009, 05:40 AM report to moderator

hmmm, well one look at the cheesy headline should be enough to tell those of you who don’t already know, what kind of newspaper we are dealing with here.

On the other hand, it all sounds plausible to me. I’ve been worried about the overemphasis on the romance in this film. The book itself overdoes it, but at least the memory scenes and the cave and battle scenes make up for it, so if those are missing or reduced from the film then it doesn’t bode well from my point of view, as someone who isn’t remotely interested in Ron and Hermione’s love triangle. There has been a lack of info about casting of characters we know featured in the memory scenes. All I can say is that if they have emphasized the sloppy romance at the expense of the important part of the HP story, which is meant to be Harry’s journey, and what Dumbledore can teach him, then it’s a travesty.

Posted by anne1 on March 12, 2009, 06:30 AM report to moderator

Lol, they got half of the “comments” from the reviews by Eric and Rachel, who both loved the movie. What idiots.

Posted by Jaymie Brooks on March 12, 2009, 06:46 AM report to moderator

Well, I hope that’s just press. Anyway, I’m sorry to say I’m not expeciting much from this movie. As HBP and DH are the final, most important movies,I think people will be disappointed because, in my opinion, for the first films it was easy to cut something, but here’s another thing. We’re talking about 6 adn 7 book? Wouldn’t you want to see EVERYTHING? I do.

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on March 12, 2009, 07:04 AM report to moderator
Ruin_thumb

Codswollop.

Believing ‘The Sun’ as a reliable source is equivalent to believing ‘National Enquirer’. They’ve been filming ONE MONTH, I highly doubt they’re going to do a ‘screening’ at this juncture.

Posted by nundu on March 12, 2009, 07:05 AM report to moderator
Ruin_thumb

smax forehead I misread what film! Even so, I wouldn’t trust ‘The Sun’ for any sort of reliable news!

Posted by nundu on March 12, 2009, 07:12 AM report to moderator
Avatarhghbp_thumb

Quite apart from the fact that The Sun is a disreputable tabloid, the fact that they won’t say where or when the screening was, or name the people making the comments makes this all very suspicious. There is also the fact that nobody let any of the HP sites or sites like AICN know they had seen a screening, which is really odd if the screening in fact happened.

Is The Sun owned by Rupert Murdoch? As I have seen this article, or parts of this article turn up in all the Murdoch owned Australian newspapers online. Murdoch also owns Fox. I’m not usually a conspiracy theorist but is this a sly attempt by the Murdoch owned newspaper and film empire to discredit HBP and hurt it’s box office? Just a thought.

Posted by mouse68 on March 12, 2009, 07:14 AM report to moderator

No, I don’t think it’s a kind of conspiracy. It’s just a tabloid thing, they always write what they want.

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on March 12, 2009, 07:34 AM report to moderator
Jk-j-k-rowling-harry-potter-and-the-order-of-the-phoenix-unabridged-compact-discs_thumb
I too am going to hold my opinion until I see it. I would have to say I was disappointed with the OOTP and how everything was messed up. I just think they have to make the trailers look more appealing; so more of us Harry Potter films are going to see it.

I did lose a little faith in them making my favorite bookseries(Harry Potter) into movies right when I saw GOF and OOTP: There was so much I was disappointed with in those movies of how the plotlines were messed up and it sounds like they are doing this again. I mean “Come On”, only two past memories when there are a lot in the book and which two memories did they choose to portray on the screen?

I am just so upset with how WB is butchering our favorite bookseries adaptations and they expect us to wait, well they should make the movies more faithful to the books.

Posted by harrypotterbookpurist on March 12, 2009, 07:54 AM report to moderator
Littleburrow_thumb

Nothing is going to hurt HBP’s box office. Everyone who sees harry potter films is going to go see this one. This is just one of the things that these kinds of magazines write. I think i would be disappointed with some of the things in the film if i wasn’t aware, like the fact that the memories are cut, which in my opinion is the best part of the book.

I am still hoping that the story works well, but it probably won’t. I will still like it because i am a fan, but that is what harry potter is.

Posted by decarus on March 12, 2009, 07:54 AM report to moderator
Thecave_thumb

Yeah, I think The Sun grabbed comments from the Chicago screening last summer. If there was a second screening, someone would have posted it somewhere.

Posted by mollywobble on March 12, 2009, 08:01 AM report to moderator
Hswand2_kopiex_thumb

I’d be disappointed if Snape really hadn’t more screen time than in previous films.
Especially because he won’t be in Deathly Hallows at all (well, not “not at all” but “hardly” => not at all for me ;-)

Posted by grey_nightshirt on March 12, 2009, 08:06 AM report to moderator
Avatarhghbp_thumb

HarryPotterbookpuriist, if you think WB have butchered this series you haven’t seen many book to film adaptations. HP has been far more faithfully realised on film than most books are, you are never going to get everything on film you get in a book, or in the same way they are presented in the book.

They are very different mediums and the story needs to be tailored for the different medium. I’m not saying they have got everything right, they haven’t, but overall they have done a far more faithful job of adapting the books than I think they get given credit for.

I get annoyed everytime I read fans using the word “butchered”. They have not butchered the books. The main parts of the storyline have always remained intact, even if some of the subplots that we as book fans love don’t make it to the screen. The only way all the things that some fans want to see would make it to screen was if Jo had agreed to 8-10 hour min-series on TV for each book.

I really think a lot of Potter fans need to get out there and see book to film adaptations of a lot of other works, and how badly they have been handled, how distorted and yes “butchered” they are and maybe they would realise how hard David Heyman, all the directors, cast and crew have tried to remain true to the spirit of the books.

If you really want to see “butchered”, read Rilla of Ingleside, the final book in the Anne of Green Gables series, set during WW1, when Anne was a middle aged woman with five children who are teens to young adults going off to war, or in the case of Rilla, keeping the home fires burning. The very arrogant Kevin Sullivan decided he could tell a better story, and in the third Anne mini-series,set duing WW1, had Anne and Gilbert, still fairly young, recently married, and Anne running around Europe as a spy. THAT’s butchering!!

Posted by mouse68 on March 12, 2009, 08:11 AM report to moderator

OK LISTEN TO THIS GUYS AND COMMENT IF YOU NEED TO. ok so im from england and know that the sun prints stories to sell papers and have been sued on a few occasions for printing rubbish that simply is not true. but heres my thoughts on what to expect. ok so i wasnt overly impressed with order of the phoenix as i thought david yates and the script writers left out vital scenes that were important to the movie the final battle was lame and way to short especially the battle between dumbledore and voldemort which lasted all of 1 minute 13 seconds. so the half blood prince movie theres been cuts such as the gaunts adult voldemort the dursleys moaning murtle etc i know theres more and im sure you avid potter fans such as myself know what they are. the best thing to do is not go to the cinema and see this film with high expectations and not look out for what has been cut but to try and follow the story and see if it makes sense, so we now know that dobby and bill weasly has been confimed for the final movie so they may make a reference to the wedding in half blood prince but as no fluer has been confirmed yet again dont get ur hopes up.i remember an interview with tom felton. (DRACO MALFOY) a while ago and he said he was suprised how close to the book that they have kept. ive never read the lord of the rings book and my mum has told me that they had cut quite alot from there movies so its hardley suprising that they cut things from this franchise to. on the other hand tho. jk rowling has alot of infleunce in these movies if you remember they were gonna cut kreacher from the last movie until she said i wouldnt do that if i were you. if she is satisfied with the way half blood prince has been made and is sure enough that they have followed the story as well as they can do with the cuts they have made who are we to argue. dont forget they only have a certain limited amount of time to do a movie and to keep every detail of a book would turn the movie into about 6 hours. i myself wouldnt complain but there ya go.dont forget of course there making deathly hallows into two movies and david heyman has said the reason of this is because theres to many key elements and they cannot cut anything from the movie coz if they do whats the point of the two movies they may aswell just makes one, so i quite confident that the weddin scene will be included as thats where there journey begins as they escape from there and end up in that cafe then at grimmauld place.theres always gonna be people who dislike these movies. i myself as ive said wasnt impressed with order of the phoenix but i didnt hate it i was a great potter film aside from the issues i mentioned,OK GIVE A WHISTLE IF YOU AGREE THAT THE FINAL BATTLE OF HOGWARTS IN DEATHLY HALLOWS SHOULD BE AT LEAST AN HOUR LONG. give the fans what they have been waiting for steve cloves and david yates. i only wish they looked at these harry potter sites and read what the fans were feeling they could then take note and improve things. phew ok im almost done. so go and see harry potter and the half blood prince with an open mind bearing in mind there have been cuts and just go with the flow.

Posted by jaiboi2 on March 12, 2009, 08:23 AM report to moderator
Ced_thumb

I don’t know if any of you noticed it or not, but as I read this blasted article, I can’t help but see a starkling similarity of it with Rita Skeeter’s writing style.

How they kept the speakers’ and witnesses’ names secret. For a second there, I thought I was reading Daily Prophet!

Seriously, if there’s one thing to look out for in that review, it’s the fact how funny it was and nothing else.

Harry Potter was the best, is the best, and will remain the best…

Posted by AatiMuoaS | SaouMitaA on March 12, 2009, 08:25 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

He stuck out his forearm and showed it to Fudge, who recoiled.[br]"There," said Snape harshly. "There. The Dark Mark.... Every Death Eater has the sign burned into him by the Dark Lord. It was a means of distinguishing one another, and his means of summon