Followup: First Editon Copy of Harry Potter and Sorcerer's Stone Sells at Record Price

Books
March 10, 2009, 06:58 AM

A quick followup this morning regarding this story from last month involving an auction of a rare First Edition of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Scores of you owled to let us know the auction was completed, with the book selling for a record $19,120. The AP reports that "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" was one of only 200 copies from the first printing issued with illustrated wrappers by London publisher Bloomsbury. The 1997 work about the boy wizard was published in the United States as "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" and includes an illustrated card signed by author J. K. Rowling.  The winning bidder was" a vintage comic book collector from Dubai in the United Arab Emirates whose wife is a Harry Potter fan."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Bd_thorgal027_thumb

How nice for his wife! :P

Posted by emmy. on March 10, 2009, 04:42 PM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

What a keepsake! Lucky! (Jealous ;) )

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on March 10, 2009, 05:28 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

I have a 1st edition Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone but it is so beat up that I’m sure I’m the only one who would want it, and I would not sell it for any amount of money in the world!!!

Posted by BeAchL0veEr05 ☼ on March 10, 2009, 05:39 PM report to moderator
Avatars_house2_03_thumb

wow lucky i wish i could have afforded that

Posted by Gryffindorprincess09 on March 10, 2009, 05:54 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

That’s an unbelievable amount of money! Only for HP, Only for HP! :)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on March 10, 2009, 06:55 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I cannot imagine how valuable these first editions will be in a few more decades!

Posted by Kirk on March 10, 2009, 08:32 PM report to moderator
Fangirl_thumb

Wow, over $19,000 for a book is incredible! … Well, then again, it is the first addition of HP:PS (SS). That guy must really love his wife to buy it for her. I wish I had a husband like that!

Posted by Miss Smarticle on March 10, 2009, 09:06 PM report to moderator
4266_95379003085_554113085_2686657_2975125_n_thumb

WOW that is so much money! I mean like I would have paid a lot for that book, but I don’t think any of us would have paid that much for that book.

Posted by Sam H. on March 10, 2009, 09:08 PM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

I can’t wait to see what my collector’s edition of beedle the bard will be worth.

Posted by Garden State Geek on March 10, 2009, 09:12 PM report to moderator
Dsc05228_thumb

Man, I wish I could get my hands on some first editions. When I grow up I would love to be that kind of book collector.

Posted by ProfKnight on March 10, 2009, 10:17 PM report to moderator

Congrats Jo!

Posted by Bradyboy on March 11, 2009, 12:18 AM report to moderator
Mypicture_thumb

Sigh… if only I had the money….

Posted by FlourishandBlotts (RAWR) on March 11, 2009, 01:40 AM report to moderator

yay for jo!

Posted by albeitgruggish on March 11, 2009, 02:44 AM report to moderator
Avpmpeoic2_thumb
2012 Points

OMG! That’s Like, REALLY EXPENSIVE!! lol I wish I had that kind of money so I could buy Harry Potter Books…

Posted by - Mishh. (WBM) on March 11, 2009, 06:17 AM report to moderator

I imagine that if the man who bought the book is from Dubai and he can spend so much money for a book, he has to be very rich, one of that sheiks…
I don’t think that’s right: that’s too much money for a book that has less than 20 years. Altough, yes, I would love to have the firts edition of HP and the sorcerer’s stone..

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on March 11, 2009, 07:02 AM report to moderator

Hermione's Patronus, a shining silver otter, was gamboling around her.[br]"They [i]are[/i] sort of nice, aren't they?" she said, looking at it fondly.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014