Dan Radcliffe and Richard Griffiths End Broadway Run of "Equus"

Radcliffe
February 08, 2009, 02:42 PM

Today at 3pm actors Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and Richard Griffiths (Uncle Vernon) will give their final performance in the Broadway production of Equus. As Playbill.com notes "when it closes, the acclaimed revival will have played 21 previews and 156 regular performances. Previews began Sept. 5, 2008, with an official opening Sept. 25."

As readers will recall, this is the second time Dan Radcliffe and Richard Griffiths have appeared in a theatrical production of the Peter Shaffer play, the first being several years ago in Longon, England. Playbill reminds us that  "Radcliffe made his West End leading-role debut in Shaffer's 1973 drama at London's Gielgud Theatre on Feb. 27, 2007, following previews that began Feb. 16. Radcliffe drew positive reviews from the London critics and lots of attention from gossip columnists because of the much-written-about nude scene." The subject matter of the play is a serious one, as "psychiatrist Martin Dysart investigates the blinding of six horses, a savage act committed by an unassuming 17-year-old stable boy, Alan Strang, whose family life is rife with bigotry and religious fervor. As Dysart exposes the truths behind the boy's demons, he finds himself face-to-face with his own." Playwright Shaffer based the play on a true story told to him by a friend."

The play and actors have continued to garner the attention of the press and various awards and honors during the US run of Equus.  Most recently, Dan Radcliffe was honored again as another portrait of the young actor was added to the wall of another famous NY restaurant, this one Tony's DiNapoli. You can see photos of Dan and this new portrait here in our image galleries.

TLC would like to send our since Congratulations to Dan and Richard and the entire cast and crew for a successful run on Broadway!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Doctor2_thumb

I would have loved to see it! Oh well.

Posted by Aynil on February 09, 2009, 06:21 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_ravenclaw_thumb

I was a little afraid no one was going to post this news story, but it happened. Thanks for letting everyone know!

Posted by Edna_Turnblad on February 09, 2009, 06:48 AM report to moderator
N1314356338_7633_thumb
20582 Points

i would have loved to of seen it!!!! your coming home now dan to start on dh!!!! cant wait!!!!

Posted by ٭Ĥ☻ğđ☻ъъÿ٭ Ř☻äř٭ on February 09, 2009, 06:59 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

all good things come to an end. and now so much better things are to come up-DH!

Posted by Matea on February 09, 2009, 07:11 AM report to moderator
Dsc02812__2__thumb

I do so wish I would have been able to see this performance. I know it’s like sacrelidge to film a theater play, but it would certainly be lovely if we could at least see that! I’m such a dreamer!

Posted by Lillylove on February 09, 2009, 08:11 AM report to moderator
Squee_thumb

It was an amazing play – I am just thrilled I got to see it in October. The whole NYC trip was brilliant!!

Congrats, Dan, Richard, and cast for a job very well done.

Posted by Kismatt on February 09, 2009, 11:32 PM report to moderator
Daniel_and_lorenzo_-_holding_the_equus_broadway_bear__thumb

I saw the final show last night. WOW. I had never been to a closing Broadway show and it to go to Equus’s closing show….it was a dream. The curtain call was so emotional and really beautiful. We were cheering and whooping and didn’t want the moment to end. Daniel gave a wonderful speech about how incredible the Broadway community was, how welcoming they were and thanked Richard and Thea for teaching him how to perform on stage. He also told everyone when he came to NY, he knew no one and shortly, he had a new family. Richard talked about everyone going their separate ways and recited Robert Frost’s “The Road not Taken” and the house was completely moved. Bravo to two eloquent, classy men.

Posted by mariapotter on February 09, 2009, 11:42 PM report to moderator
06_thumb

it was a very exciting two years.

Posted by silverwings [FTC!] on February 10, 2009, 12:09 AM report to moderator
Biker_old_lady4done_use_thumb

I never got to see it but have several friends who did. I loved hearing their reviews. According to them, the play was really intense but proved how good an actor that Dan really was. It does deserve a Tony Award and I hope both of them get one.

Posted by Cool G on February 10, 2009, 12:09 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

oh my gosh. i was there.

Posted by Courtney Quirke on February 10, 2009, 12:52 AM report to moderator
Photo_231_thumb

I WAS THERE.
Also, Dan told us on Saturday night that he starts filming for DH in ten days time =]

Posted by Jenny Williams on February 10, 2009, 12:57 AM report to moderator
N8846922_43549767_6482_thumb

i’m lucky enough to live in nj, so it was only a 2 hour train ride away to see equus on broadway :D it was awesome. dan radcliffe & richard griffiths are amazing actors and i’m so glad they came to nyc.

Posted by avrenim [WBM!] on February 10, 2009, 02:47 AM report to moderator
Green_hummers_thumb

I wish I could have seen it. I wonder if they recorded it? (like they did with some of the Broadway shows). I would love to buy the DVD. Wishful thinking. The proceeds could go one of the Broadway Charities.

Posted by Lady Grey OoM2,CW*ROAR* on February 10, 2009, 04:02 AM report to moderator
108_thumb

Call me bad but that means it is that much closer for Dan to be filming Deathly Hallows!!! Squeeee!

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on February 10, 2009, 08:17 AM report to moderator
Zooey_thumb

Congrats to Daniel and Richard. I suppose Dan is back in London by now. Back to the old HP routine soon enough.

Posted by miriam the wounded on February 10, 2009, 08:22 AM report to moderator

"What are you doing Muggle Studies for?" said Ron, rolling his eyes at Harry. "You're Muggle-born! Your mum and dad are Muggles! You already know all about Muggles!"[br]"But it'll be fascinating to study them from the wizarding point of view," said Hermio