Dan Radcliffe and Richard Griffiths End Broadway Run of "Equus"

Radcliffe
February 08, 2009, 02:42 PM

Today at 3pm actors Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and Richard Griffiths (Uncle Vernon) will give their final performance in the Broadway production of Equus. As Playbill.com notes "when it closes, the acclaimed revival will have played 21 previews and 156 regular performances. Previews began Sept. 5, 2008, with an official opening Sept. 25."

As readers will recall, this is the second time Dan Radcliffe and Richard Griffiths have appeared in a theatrical production of the Peter Shaffer play, the first being several years ago in Longon, England. Playbill reminds us that  "Radcliffe made his West End leading-role debut in Shaffer's 1973 drama at London's Gielgud Theatre on Feb. 27, 2007, following previews that began Feb. 16. Radcliffe drew positive reviews from the London critics and lots of attention from gossip columnists because of the much-written-about nude scene." The subject matter of the play is a serious one, as "psychiatrist Martin Dysart investigates the blinding of six horses, a savage act committed by an unassuming 17-year-old stable boy, Alan Strang, whose family life is rife with bigotry and religious fervor. As Dysart exposes the truths behind the boy's demons, he finds himself face-to-face with his own." Playwright Shaffer based the play on a true story told to him by a friend."

The play and actors have continued to garner the attention of the press and various awards and honors during the US run of Equus.  Most recently, Dan Radcliffe was honored again as another portrait of the young actor was added to the wall of another famous NY restaurant, this one Tony's DiNapoli. You can see photos of Dan and this new portrait here in our image galleries.

TLC would like to send our since Congratulations to Dan and Richard and the entire cast and crew for a successful run on Broadway!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Daniel-radcliffe-06_thumb

I saw the play in December and got to meet Daniel afterward. It was truly an amazing experience, he really is as spectacular as he seems.

Posted by Jenlynn709 on February 08, 2009, 07:09 PM report to moderator
Hufflepax_thumb

I saw it 4 times last week but I wish I could have made it back today for the final performance.

Posted by Lorelei du Lac on February 08, 2009, 10:39 PM report to moderator

As I’ve said before, the whole production was fantastic, and both Dan and Richard should be at least nominated for Tonys. And don’t worry, LillyAngel1, I’m sure that Dan will shave his beard before he starts filiming DH.

Posted by SybilT on February 08, 2009, 10:42 PM report to moderator
250px-hufflepuff_thumb

Congrats to Dan and Richard. Sadly I didn’t get a chance to see the play, but I think being involved with Equus really showed people that Dan is serious about acting.

Posted by Tami on February 08, 2009, 11:49 PM report to moderator
40320resize_thumb

Aw, I wish I could have seen it :-(

Posted by Athena ★ROAR!★ on February 09, 2009, 12:17 AM report to moderator
Hermione_stills84a_thumb

I wanted to see this soo badly, but my friend was there tonight and got in to the cast after party!!! She kept on updating her status on Facebook about all the people she was meeting… eek!

I hope Dan continues to do stage acting and that I can one day see it in person! But congrats to all of them on a successful run!!

Posted by PineappleCrush on February 09, 2009, 12:34 AM report to moderator
41105_10150254604520192_615620191_14488176_2111077_n_thumb

never got to see it

Posted by placebowiz on February 09, 2009, 12:36 AM report to moderator
Fish_02_thumb

Congrats Dan and Richard! I never got to see it.

Posted by Gobbledygook [Sparrow] [WBM] J.O.R. on February 09, 2009, 02:37 AM report to moderator
Bild_thumb

I am so glad I got to see it even thogh it ment flying a long way and spending a lot of money. The actors and the play was brilliant.

Posted by ElinJ*ROAR* on February 09, 2009, 02:44 AM report to moderator
67_richardoud_thumb

I live in California and didn’t get to see it…
But still, cangrats to the whole cast.

I wish I could have been there :(

Posted by Noella_Mansrot [Raven] {WBM} on February 09, 2009, 03:07 AM report to moderator
Dsc00472_thumb

yay! now they can go and start HP!

Posted by a1000wtp[FTC!!] on February 09, 2009, 03:57 AM report to moderator
Always_thumb

I saw it in england and it is beyond amazing, it’ just genius. Daniel was amazing in it, he really proved himself as an actor. It’s great he followed it through to broadway. Richard was great too obviously. Well done dan and richard :D

Posted by spiritbound on February 09, 2009, 04:50 AM report to moderator
3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

I also want to see this too, too bad I never did… :( But still congratulations to Daniel and Richard!

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on February 09, 2009, 05:03 AM report to moderator

Congrats to Dan and the whole cast of Equus. Was there any special ovation that happened after the curtain call? The two tribute portraits are amazing though. Great honor for Dan. Although it’s a pity they had to present the show in the middle of the recession, at least I can look forward to some Tony nominations, if not from Dan, then from Richard…hopefully…

Posted by pensive on February 09, 2009, 05:04 AM report to moderator
Ravenclawd_normal_thumb

Congrats, Dan and Richard

Posted by DobbyandWinky WBM!!! on February 09, 2009, 05:51 AM report to moderator

"First Hogsmeade weekend," said Ron, pointing at a notice that had appeared on the battered old bulletin board. "End of October. Halloween."[br]"Excellent," said Fred, who had followed Harry through the portrait hole. "I need to visit Zonko's. I'm nearly