Dan Radcliffe and Richard Griffiths End Broadway Run of "Equus"

Radcliffe
February 08, 2009, 02:42 PM

Today at 3pm actors Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and Richard Griffiths (Uncle Vernon) will give their final performance in the Broadway production of Equus. As Playbill.com notes "when it closes, the acclaimed revival will have played 21 previews and 156 regular performances. Previews began Sept. 5, 2008, with an official opening Sept. 25."

As readers will recall, this is the second time Dan Radcliffe and Richard Griffiths have appeared in a theatrical production of the Peter Shaffer play, the first being several years ago in Longon, England. Playbill reminds us that  "Radcliffe made his West End leading-role debut in Shaffer's 1973 drama at London's Gielgud Theatre on Feb. 27, 2007, following previews that began Feb. 16. Radcliffe drew positive reviews from the London critics and lots of attention from gossip columnists because of the much-written-about nude scene." The subject matter of the play is a serious one, as "psychiatrist Martin Dysart investigates the blinding of six horses, a savage act committed by an unassuming 17-year-old stable boy, Alan Strang, whose family life is rife with bigotry and religious fervor. As Dysart exposes the truths behind the boy's demons, he finds himself face-to-face with his own." Playwright Shaffer based the play on a true story told to him by a friend."

The play and actors have continued to garner the attention of the press and various awards and honors during the US run of Equus.  Most recently, Dan Radcliffe was honored again as another portrait of the young actor was added to the wall of another famous NY restaurant, this one Tony's DiNapoli. You can see photos of Dan and this new portrait here in our image galleries.

TLC would like to send our since Congratulations to Dan and Richard and the entire cast and crew for a successful run on Broadway!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I wish I could have seen it! Still, congratulations to the cast and crew for the successful run of a fantastic play that has inspired and touched thousands!

Posted by Kirk on February 08, 2009, 03:04 PM report to moderator
Emma_thumb

What a wonderful achievement! I saw them both in Eqqus on my 21st birthday in London and they was wonderful. I hope we see more stage work from Dan in the future!

Posted by EmmaLouise on February 08, 2009, 03:06 PM report to moderator
Emma_thumb

oh my goodness, that grammar looks awful! I changed ‘he’ to’they’ and forgot the was/were change! I’m a pedant…had to comment on my own idiocy! lol

Posted by EmmaLouise on February 08, 2009, 03:07 PM report to moderator
Bookworm_thumb

Congratulations, Dan and Richard! I will be keeping my fingers crossed for some Tony nominations. The play was wonderful. It feels strange to say that I “enjoyed” it when it the storyline is so emotional and disturbing, but the quality of the production was excellent.

Posted by Bookworm Jen on February 08, 2009, 03:10 PM report to moderator

I’ll probably regret not getting to see this play for the rest of my life :/ I’m so happy for the actors though! What an achievement! Congrats!

Posted by Sophie on February 08, 2009, 03:58 PM report to moderator
1583_10200139037625374_1819296304_n_thumb

test

Posted by Alex Robbin on February 08, 2009, 04:23 PM report to moderator
1583_10200139037625374_1819296304_n_thumb

one more test

Posted by Alex Robbin on February 08, 2009, 04:26 PM report to moderator
Prophecy_thumb

I wanted to see this so badly. Equus is one of my favorite plays and I really wanted to see Dan’s version of Alan especially since I’ve only seen the movie and read the play. Wouldn’t it be lovely if they recorded one of the performances and put it out on dvd? They do that with plays sometimes but I really doubt they did. Oh well.

Congrtatulations Dan and Richard. I’m sure you will be featured prominently at the Tony Awards.

Posted by DeliaDee on February 08, 2009, 06:43 PM report to moderator
100_6668_thumb

I wish I could have seen it

Posted by lnh92(Lorrie) on February 08, 2009, 06:44 PM report to moderator

It must have been an amazing experience for them, I love Broadway. I hope they return soon! And I wish them a safe travel back to the UK, I’ve heard the weather is not very good there these days.

Posted by ethanHP on February 08, 2009, 06:44 PM report to moderator

man, im so mad i missed, i never got around to seeing it, but congrats to both of them on broadway

Posted by kwickspell111 on February 08, 2009, 06:45 PM report to moderator
Wgwg2_thumb
2064 Points

i wanted to see this really bad as well, but congrats to Dan and Richard!!

Posted by hp29 [ROAR!] on February 08, 2009, 06:49 PM report to moderator
Wgwg2_thumb
2064 Points

i wanted to see this really bad as well, but congrats to Dan and Richard!!

Posted by hp29 [ROAR!] on February 08, 2009, 06:49 PM report to moderator
Lilly_thumb

hhe has a beard…..sob

Posted by Lilly-Angel1 on February 08, 2009, 06:57 PM report to moderator
Lilly_thumb

hhe has a beard…..sob

Posted by Lilly-Angel1 on February 08, 2009, 06:57 PM report to moderator

"Hey!" said Ron, who had staggered to his feet and was now tottering drunkenly toward Harry, giggling. "Hey, Harry, there are [i]brains[/i] in here, ha ha ha, isn't that weird, Harry?"

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014