PotterCast 183: Accio Nerdfighters!

PotterCast
Posted by: Edward
February 05, 2009, 08:38 AM

The 183rd episode of PotterCast, our Harry Potter podcast, is now online and just got a whole lot nerdier!  This week, the PotterCasters are joined by none other than Vlogbrothers John and Hank Green for a live show which features a ninety minute discussion on a number of topics including: Harry Potter, Brotherhood 2.0, the Nerdfighting phenomenon, and more.  The show starts out with a quick run down of the latest Harry Potter news from Sue, with talk of the recent accident on the Deathly Hallows set, info a screening of Rupert Grint's latest film Cherrybomb, the price of registration increasing for LeakyCon 2009 (along with some exciting Con-related news), and news regarding two books edited by Cheryl Klein winning honors at the ALA Awards.

The PotterCast Quartet then dive into the main discussion of the show, speaking with John and Hank about how the Vlogbrothers project began, the song by Hank that linked Harry Potter with the Vlogbrothers, the books by Printz-award winning/NYT Bestselling young adult novelist John Green, Hank's passion for environmental technology with his website EcoGeek.org, the start of Nerdfighters, the Project For Awesome, and so much more.  We then take some phone calls for the John and Hank from a number of the listeners, and answer a number questions from the chat Question Tuesday style.  Finally, Hank and John help us wrap up the show with some more LeakyCon talk, Wrock Reggies memories, Hank's CD So Jokes, and the Deathly Hallows Epilogue.  To listen, just hit the "Play" button on the right side of the page (->), or use iTunes, or direct download.  And, DFTBA!

"Accio Nerdfighters!"
  • The Vlogbrothers John and Hank Green join us this week and the PC4 do their best to not forget to be awesome.
  • Are John and Hank coming to LeakyCon?  Listen to find out!
  • "Accio Deathly Hallows" by Hank Green.
  • The Harry Potter versus Twilight debate and how it's STUPID.
  • Harry Potter and the Inconvenient Truth.
  • What do you have against Tonks?
  • "Save the freaking world, dude!  Crank this crank and power the entire country!"
  • Cameo's pun.
  • Pirates, ninjas, Vikings, wizards. Or Jedi.
  • Wanding each other.
  • The kind of things that eccentric thousandaires do!
  • Harry Potter, one of the great characters in the history of contemporary literature.
  • "Why are there only two corndogs?"
  • Conjoined twins.
  • Nasty tapeworm.
  • "Oh God, the scar is about to trouble him..."
  • Special thanks to the group of Mods who patrolled the live UStream chat.
  • So much more awesome it can't be named... what are you waiting for? Go listen!

• Vlogbrothers YouTube Channel.
  • Hank's EcoGeek.org website.
  • John's website, Sparksflyup.com
  • The Nerdfighters Ning Community: Nerdfighters.com.
  • Buy Hank Green's CD, So Jokes at DFTBA records.
  • Buy John Green's book, Paper Towns.
  • Go to youtube.com/pottercast for our daily vlogs.
  • Register for LeakyCon 2009 now!
RT: 95:02

Producer: John Noe

LeakyCon 2009: A Harry Potter Conference in Boston
“Harry, A History” Website
Jingle Spells 2
PotterCast Vlogs
Podcast Alley
Digg

Direct download (44MB).

Direct download low-bandwidth.

Remember you don't need an iPod to listen. Listen easily on iTunes, which you can download and install here, by clicking here to listen, or you can just use the streaming Flash player at PotterCast.com or just on the right side of this page. Discussion of the PotterCast is right here. Enjoy!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent PotterCast News

12440441_thumb
19573 Points

Great show!! Am listening to it now!!

Posted by R-for-H {ROAR} :D on February 05, 2009, 01:55 PM report to moderator
Cimg2325_thumb

YES, I can’t wait to listen to it! :D

Posted by MadameSuede on February 05, 2009, 02:05 PM report to moderator

just finished listening …another great one!!

Posted by padfoot84sb on February 05, 2009, 02:39 PM report to moderator
72256880_5_usce_thumb

I fell asleep during the show xD not your fault, I was just too tired. Is there a live show tonight? I think I’m able to stay online then (A)

Posted by McChickie on February 05, 2009, 02:46 PM report to moderator
Badgers_thumb

YAY!!!! Pottercast! The antidote to school & family stress. :D
I wish I could listen to a live show T_T it would be so cool.

Posted by Tiahn on February 05, 2009, 03:17 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

Yeah I did the same thing but I am just glad I found it. I NEED MY NERDFIGHTER FIX!!

Posted by waffleshouse on February 05, 2009, 04:03 PM report to moderator

I’m enjoying the bits of PotterCast with Albus Sevurus Potter at Hogwarts a lot. Is the third one up now?

Posted by Robbie Rowe on February 05, 2009, 04:26 PM report to moderator
0119092003_thumb

SQUEE! Downloading now (:

Posted by debbielikescereal on February 05, 2009, 04:49 PM report to moderator
N1585320109_30028278_6922_thumb

Sweet! My computer can NOT handle ustream, so it’s nice to be able to listen to this in more than 8 minutes pieces…

Posted by Kelsey on February 05, 2009, 05:06 PM report to moderator
36090_413317180969_787035969_4440390_4514136_n_thumb

I haven’t read all the posts, mind you, but I have to say that I couldn’t listen to much of it. It was too grainy and I guess their coordination of themselves and the “live” thing wasn’t working. I gave up, after about the first 15 minutes…sorry guys!

Posted by Confederate Lady [CL, Rawwrrrr] on February 05, 2009, 05:13 PM report to moderator
67_richardoud_thumb

Thankyou thankyouthankyou! I was annoyed with myself for missing the live show, and now I can’t wait to listen!

Posted by Noella_Mansrot [Raven] {WBM} on February 05, 2009, 05:16 PM report to moderator
-_owl_post_-_thumb

I’m about to listen to it right now! I listened to the live show, but I think this will be better since the live one had some audio issues for the first part of the show.

BTW: On iTunes, the release date shows as 1/4/2009 instead of 2/4/2009. It’s weird, idk… :-S

Posted by Felipe on February 05, 2009, 05:26 PM report to moderator
Angel_reader_chagall_thumb

I enjoyed the show. (Though the nargles were clearly at work, alas.) Thanks for the laughs, Pottercasters!

My favorite eye-opening moment was when John and Hank Green suddenly say (in unison, or was that an echo?), “Well, our dad is a documentary film maker.” Helps put them in context, doesn’t it?

Posted by Arithmancer on February 05, 2009, 05:26 PM report to moderator
100_6668_thumb

great show!!!

Posted by lnh92(Lorrie) on February 05, 2009, 05:32 PM report to moderator
Shoe_thumb

Neat new Podcast picture!

Posted by eagleblue on February 05, 2009, 06:56 PM report to moderator

"He was provoked, Professor Snape," said Hagrid, sticking his huge hairy face out from behind the tree. "Malfoy was insultin' his family."[br] "Be that as it may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Hagrid," said Snape silkily. "Five points from Gryffi