Stephen King Comments on JK Rowling and Stephenie Meyer

Celebs on HP
February 03, 2009, 07:52 PM

Scores of readers let us know about a new interview with acclaimed author Stephen King, who has made some new comments regarding Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer. Speaking with USA Weekend, Mr. King compared the two authors and had some blunt things to say about the Twilight author Meyer. Quotage as follows:

Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. ... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good."

"Somebody who’s a terrific writer who’s been very, very successful is Jodi Picoult. You’ve got Dean Koontz, who can write like hell. And then sometimes he’s just awful. It varies. James Patterson is a terrible writer but he’s very very successful. People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because they’re not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet."

Thanks to everyone who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Celebs on HP News

Excuse me? This is not the rambling of some “obsessed fangirl” or “crazed Twilighter.” I am an experienced reader who has enjoyed the Twilight series as thoroughly as the Harry Potter series. I understand people have their own opinions as to which series is BETTER – and I respect them. But I do not feel there is any need for a full-on attack of the author’s ability to write. Stephenie Meyer is an excellent writer who captivated me with her style of writing – not just her story. If it weren’t for the writing, I wouldn’t be able to read Twilight. The way she describes things is beautiful and elegant – and not just in the Twilight series. I also read her other book, The Host, at first because I was waiting for something to tide me over in the span between Twilight books (you should have seen me in the gap between HP books!) but I ended up falling in love with the book. The story was slow for about the first half of the book, but her writing kept me going because it was so very captivating. I am a proud fan of both Harry Potter and Twilight who refuses to participate in this ridiculous debate of books just because they are both popular novels written by skilled women.
I am deeply upset by Stephen King’s comments, as he is a man who I previously respected because of his open love for Harry Potter – a book many adults won’t admit to reading because of its status as a “children’s book.” It is one thing to present an opinion, and another thing entirely to express that offensive opinion as fact. Stephenie Meyer worked hard to get to where she is today, only to be known to the press as the “next J.K. Rowling.” This irritates me from both a Harry Potter and Twilight standpoint – Harry Potter because she is NOT J.K.R. and has not come anywhere close to the success our beloved author has, and from Twilight because she is her own person, with her own stories to tell. I don’t believe the Twilight fans had anything “coming to them” – do you see them ridiculing you on their boards?
This never-ending competition annoys me so, and it makes it difficult to call yourself a fan of both books. I visit Leaky and the Twilight Lexicon nearly every day, because I am a fan of both, and spend my time between them. I read other books constantly; including those by authors such as James Patterson and Jodi Picoult (My Sister’s Keeper is one of the single greatest books I’ve ever read.) I don’t understand what some Harry Potter fans (and obviously not all – I’ve seen some very gracious responses) have against the Twilight fans. They pose no threat to you. They don’t attack the Harry Potter books daily on their boards. They have nothing but respect for you – in fact, many (including myself) understand that the books’ popularity would have been impossible had Harry Potter not gotten many readers into books in the first place. I wish the few fans that seem to have some sort of vendetta against the Twilight books would remember that it is the media, not the fans, who are behind this so-called “battle of books.”
I respect Mr. King as an author, and sincerely hope his comments were made in a moment of foolishness, because to insult such a fine author is a great affront to both me and fellow readers.

Posted by Hiei-Touya-icedemon on February 07, 2009, 03:40 PM report to moderator
Photo_on_2010-08-14_at_00
1941 Points

I do like the series but I agree that she isn’t the best writer, go stephen lol.
It’s nice to see someone who doesn’t call Twilight the “new Harry Potter”, that’s really annoying, and incredibly untrue.

Posted by Rhys on February 07, 2009, 07:25 PM report to moderator
Image1_thumb

What Stephen King did was wrong. I’m sure there are other author’s he does not like why just go
after Stephanie Meyer publicly. That was uncalled for and very unprofessional If you ask me.
Everyone has a right to their own opinion on what books they like and dislike.That maybe his opinion
but he didn’t need to make it public like that,with him being so well known you would think he
would use it in a positive way instead of bashing another author.

Posted by ~Rose~ on February 09, 2009, 07:12 AM report to moderator
137_thumb

GO STEPHEN KING :) This made my whole week and I couldn’t get the grin off of my face the entire day.

Posted by Shlesha {ROAR} on February 16, 2009, 06:11 PM report to moderator
Dsc_0062_thumb

I really enjoy Stephenie Meyers work and fell in love with the Twilight series/saga not long after Deathly Hallows was released. I needed something new and a friend recommended the title. I would just love the character Alice, she said. And she was right, I do adore Alice! I think the series is fun and flirty. I enjoy the books because I have a love for the characters. Bella is average, clumsy, and at an age I totally miss. So, yes, its loads of fun to read. They may not be written perfectly but the books aren’t terrible.
I’m wondering if Stephen King has bothered with The Host by Stephenie Meyer. Because that novel is excellently written. In fact, if someone had handed me a naked copy of that book I would have never guessed that Stephenie Meyer wrote it. The style is completely different. The tone, the flow, EVERYTHING. Its absolutely amazing. But its definitely love or hate it piece of fiction. I recommend that book to anyone, especially those who aren’t into science fiction.

Posted by Geiger[starr] on February 18, 2009, 08:52 AM report to moderator

It was just his opinion, I honestly don’t know why people are making a huge deal about this.

Posted by Bradyboy on February 18, 2009, 09:08 PM report to moderator

Finally someone with a powerful voice says what I’ve been trying to say for months! LoL…

Posted by on February 19, 2009, 06:42 PM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

I am surprised that one author would take such cheap shots at a peer. There’s no reason to say such thing. Meyer must be doing something right to attract such a big following.

Posted by Garden State Geek on February 24, 2009, 11:59 AM report to moderator
Cheshire-cat1_thumb

My “Hoorays” go out to Stephen King! :D

Posted by The Cheshire Cat {WBM} on May 30, 2009, 04:33 PM report to moderator
Ginny_thumb

BAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA I LOVE U SK!

Posted by RaveKatie [WBM] on May 31, 2009, 04:30 AM report to moderator

Stephanie Meyer has one level of writing and I think she assumes all of her readers are either 11 years old or have never read a book before. There’s no nuance in her writing which is one reason why Rowling far surpasses Meyer when it comes to best-selling authors.

Posted by Broomsnitch on June 17, 2009, 03:35 PM report to moderator
Images_4__thumb

Though I enjoy the Twilight series, I agree with Stephen King that Meyer is not the best writer. She has good stories, but the writing is not in any league with J.K. Rowling. However, I do resent his criticism towards authors such as James Patterson without explaining why he thinks they are bad authors (no suspense/plot, bad characters, etc.). I have heard from many that Stepher King’s books are impossible to get through (cannot judge myself as I have not read one…I want to read The Mist after watching the movie, loved it) and feel every author can be criticizes but it is unfair to do so without explanation.

Posted by crazyforSeverus on August 13, 2009, 11:47 AM report to moderator

I agree with King totally that JK Rowling is a much better writter and Meyer will never EVER compare to her. I don’t get what’s so special about that very predictable (from the very beginning to the very end I knew what’s gonna happen there), badly written series, though all my friends are simply mad about it. I’m all with King there, though, on the orher hand, there are lots of books much worse written than the Twilight series and maybe that’s why they became so popular – because there’s actually simply nothing to read for teenagers. And here comes Meyer with her vampires and love and some young readers get attracted by it. And it’s obviouse for me that Meyer, I think, used to regulary watch Buffy and Angel, though she will never compare to the vampire-god Whedon:)

So, my orinion is that JK Rowling’s writting is way better. Thanks for your comment, Stephen:)

Posted by Maria Ksand on September 09, 2009, 04:59 PM report to moderator

Posted by Maria Ksand on September 09, 2009, 05:03 PM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

Oh wow.

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on March 18, 2010, 10:51 PM report to moderator

"You believe all the rubbish [Harry's] come out with about You-Know-Who, do you, you reckon he's telling the truth?"[br]"Yeah, I do!" said Ron angrily.[br]"Then you're mad too," said Seamus in disgust.[br]"Yeah? Well unfortunately for you, pal, I'm also a

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014