Stephen King Comments on JK Rowling and Stephenie Meyer

Celebs on HP
February 03, 2009, 07:52 PM

Scores of readers let us know about a new interview with acclaimed author Stephen King, who has made some new comments regarding Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer. Speaking with USA Weekend, Mr. King compared the two authors and had some blunt things to say about the Twilight author Meyer. Quotage as follows:

Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. ... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good."

"Somebody who’s a terrific writer who’s been very, very successful is Jodi Picoult. You’ve got Dean Koontz, who can write like hell. And then sometimes he’s just awful. It varies. James Patterson is a terrible writer but he’s very very successful. People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because they’re not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet."

Thanks to everyone who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Celebs on HP News

431_thumb

I think you can’t compare the two authors. Rowling is such a great writer… Meyer’s book are simply like really bad fanfiction.

Posted by Meow on February 05, 2009, 05:17 PM report to moderator
Wgwg2_thumb
2064 Points

I find it refreshing that he gave his honest opinion, which i happen to agree with, JKR is amazing and in a league of her own :)

Posted by hp29 [ROAR!] on February 05, 2009, 05:37 PM report to moderator
Sirius_thumb

Good for him! I did enjoy Twilight in the beginning…in fact, I started reading it before the hype, but it was just a good read, a good story…but that’s just about it. Meyer is not anything special, she just happened to offer up a decent story that appealed to teenage girls, and we all know how vast the teenage girl population is and how quick they are to become obsessed with anything (especially if a certain member of the opposite sex is involved…especially if he sparkles). Perhaps with more experience Meyer will be able to develop more as a writer, but only time will tell…..but in any case, it is good to finally hear some criticism, lest the crazy fangirls dispense their fury, but I think the King is pretty safe. Edward Sparkles Cullen is no match for the King’s monsters. :P

Posted by HufflepuffQueenie on February 05, 2009, 05:49 PM report to moderator

Very blunt well I guess thats best sometimes. I have never read the books but I have heard both good and bad. I have some friends who enjoy them they actually went to the midnight release for the fourth book that came out a few months ago

Posted by dobby_rocks on February 05, 2009, 08:10 PM report to moderator
Lunabook_thumb

Meyers can’t write but where else can you find sparkly vampire fiction that takes itself so seriously? I read them as a guilty pleasure.

Posted by Masquerade on February 05, 2009, 08:36 PM report to moderator
20040820-205rp_thumb

I have read all of the Twlight books, I really liked the first one, it proved to be a good distraction during finals week. I have never known anyone to act like Bella does when Edward leaves her, to the point where they would lock you up in a metal institution. After the last book, I don’t even think I can go back and read the first one again.

In a way, its nice to see someone being ‘blunt,’ there are not enough ‘blunt’ people in the world, but there is a time and a place for that, not the USA Today Weekend edition. I felt it was rather a cheap shot than an actual critique of her writing. I also really wish people would stop comparing the series, there is really nothing to compare.

Posted by queequeg on February 05, 2009, 08:52 PM report to moderator
15657683_thumb

STEPHEN KING, YOU MADE MY WEEK! :D

Now we anti-Twilight have him in our side.

Posted by Cellar Door [*SQUEE!*] on February 06, 2009, 09:49 AM report to moderator
Buddy___bertha_bishop___1945_cropped_thumb

I completely agreed with SK’s comments. As a matter of fact, by the end of the 2nd book, I was completely over all of the references to cold, hard, marble bodies. I kept reading so that I could keep track of what my students read, and it was entertaining…just not my idea of a very good book.

Posted by aburgess68 on February 06, 2009, 09:53 AM report to moderator

quote from wendybird3 on February 05, 2009, 06:37 AM:

“Not all books are classics. It’s like having a meal. Sometimes we eat something wonderful and completely satisfying and it is a meal we remember for ever. But sometimes we just want a bit of a snack. We may think about it and remember it sometimes but it is pretty much fluff. Some books are great and timeless and last forever and some are just a brief bit of entertainment. Why not enjoy both?”

Because we can’t afford the trees. XD

Sure, there’s room for junk-food reading, but after enough of that, you realize why it isn’t good for you and you hopefully go back to good mental nutrition, for the most part. For the times when we just want a bit of fluff… hey, publish those books online only. We can’t sustain an economy or an ecology that spends so much time and money printing up and shipping trash.

As for SK’s comments, yes, they were blunt and that’s a shame — but it does help shape taste in literature for a leader in the field to express their opinion. Diplomacy would be good, but that’s been in short supply all around lately. ;o)

Stephen King’s masterwork was The Stand — if you haven’t read it already, I highly recommend that one:

For lighter reading or younger ages, try The Eyes of the Dragon:

Pretty much everything else except On Writing is just for those who want to be hardcore scared:

Posted by elly2.0 on February 06, 2009, 12:31 PM report to moderator
Menkit_thumb

Stephen King is my new lord and savior <3

Posted by Sarabi on February 07, 2009, 12:26 AM report to moderator
Adamlamberticon6-1_thumb

Whoa, that was heavy. But, I’ve got to agree with him. Twilight was fun but only for about a day or two. I personally liked Jacob Black but only him and not the whole series. Stephenie Meyer is truly disappointing and is nothing compared to Jo Rowling…

Posted by ◙sleepwalker◙ on February 07, 2009, 12:54 AM report to moderator

This is not about comparing JK Rowlings Harry Potter to Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight Saga. I mean JK Rowling is a great writer. This is about Stephen King commenting that Stephenie can’t write. He shouldn’t have commented on the authors writing skills rather on the book itself if he wants to critique it. I mean writers can comment on the works of others(such as editorials,reviews, critiques etc.) but its how he said it. He stooped to a level not as a writer criticizing a novel – rather a jealous has been. I mean he didn’t even pointed out what was lacking on the writing just “she can write worth a darn”. I mean have he read the book? If he wants to critique her work do it point by point and not just two sentences or two. I mean such a poor behaviour for what you call a “best selling author”.

Posted by Me_Too on February 07, 2009, 06:02 AM report to moderator
Wizard_thumb

I like the Twilight books, they are good fluff to read

but i absolutley loved The Host. I thought it was pretty fantastic. Personally I would love to see the Host get a sequel.

Posted by HRWGHP Roar on February 07, 2009, 09:24 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

Hey_x

OMG can’t believe he said that.
However, it is true!
I have recently started to read the first one but just can’t get into it (Twilight). Though my friend is OBSESSED by them but they are nothing compared with Harry Potter!!
Thank-you!!

Yay, 300th! Anyway, I´ve just read a bout 30 books by SK over the years and nothing in the last couple of years and I still have to make it thru the first Twilight Series book, which by the way is called Twilight. :) However, it seems that Bella isn´t a particularly strong female character, which is a bit of a shame, since she was created by a woman.

Posted by Fonty on February 07, 2009, 12:55 PM report to moderator