Stephen King Comments on JK Rowling and Stephenie Meyer

Celebs on HP
February 03, 2009, 07:52 PM

Scores of readers let us know about a new interview with acclaimed author Stephen King, who has made some new comments regarding Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer. Speaking with USA Weekend, Mr. King compared the two authors and had some blunt things to say about the Twilight author Meyer. Quotage as follows:

Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. ... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good."

"Somebody who’s a terrific writer who’s been very, very successful is Jodi Picoult. You’ve got Dean Koontz, who can write like hell. And then sometimes he’s just awful. It varies. James Patterson is a terrible writer but he’s very very successful. People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because they’re not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet."

Thanks to everyone who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Celebs on HP News

Aliceicon_thumb

LOL. I laughed so hard when I saw this on Yahoo. She had it coming eventually xD

Posted by 13_lucky_charms on February 05, 2009, 06:07 AM report to moderator
Lunasane_thumb

Yes, JK Rowling is a much better author then Stephanie Meyer. However, I don’t think that means her books are not worth reading. Not all books are classics. It’s like having a meal. Sometimes we eat something wonderful and completely satisfying and it is a meal we remember for ever. But sometimes we just want a bit of a snack. We may think about it and remember it sometimes but it is pretty much fluff. Some books are great and timeless and last forever and some are just a brief bit of entertainment. WHy not enjoy both?

Posted by wendybird3 on February 05, 2009, 06:37 AM report to moderator
1_760677928l_thumb

You know what? i agree with stephen king!

Posted by aubrey015 on February 05, 2009, 06:47 AM report to moderator

I always found ridiculous to compare HP and Twilight and now he compares the writers, even more ridiculous.

I love HP.

I really enjoyed reading Twilight.

I don’t read Stephen King books. I just did not like them. I do not need him to say who is good who is bad. As a reader I can decide this by myself.

I found him saying " Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn" very very rude.

Posted by Lily_Severus on February 05, 2009, 07:44 AM report to moderator
Avatars_bookauthor_misc_oct_001_thumb

I may be the only person here who hasn’t read Stephanie Meyer, but I have read a lot of stuff by James Patterson. I particularly like the Alex Cross series and my daughter is totally into the young adult Maximum Ride series. In my opinion, the quality of the story is what makes me want to read. Who wants to read a really well-written book with a boring story.

Posted by lisa63 on February 05, 2009, 08:45 AM report to moderator
Flaming_sun_flower_thumb

I loved Twilight when I read it… But everone can see it’s not good writing. It flows but that’s about it. The same thing is with Th Host,her other book: it was great and thrilling, apart from those hundred or so pages extra in the middle that could have probably been done in ten… Not great literature, it won’t become a clasic (unlike some other book series that comes to mind…) but I still recomand it to people- it’s good!

Posted by leaves at autumn on February 05, 2009, 08:46 AM report to moderator
Knitsquare_thumb

Something that I find very amusing/perplexing is the repeated comment that “Stephen King was rude/unprofessional/what gives him the right?”. In addition to being an author, he is a well-known critic of pop culture. You may disagree with him, but he has every right to express his critical opinion.

Posted by PurlgurlPotter [*SQUEE!*] on February 05, 2009, 10:04 AM report to moderator
Th_hufflepuff_thumb

I think I love Stephen King for saying what I have been saying since I read that godawful series.

Posted by galaxite on February 05, 2009, 12:36 PM report to moderator

I absolutely love Harry Potter and I really got into Twilight but I do feel that Jo is an amazing author and fell into every part of her work, where I got into the love story side of twilight most. I think King was a little harsh in his comments. I do believe Meyer has some talent for being able to write the books she has and found so many fans!

Posted by skduff82 on February 05, 2009, 01:06 PM report to moderator
Blink_thumb

We all know that Steve loves Jo…he’s written in praise of her so many times. :)

One of the things I like about him is that he’s a fussy Virgo – he won’t mince words when it comes to discussing writers and their styles.

He’s always very direct and candid when it comes to authors – that’s not the first time he’s trashed James Patterson, either…I think the dialogue with Patterson is his main source of grief.

Posted by Ivy on February 05, 2009, 01:30 PM report to moderator
Family_thumb

I am a fan of the Twilight books also, but I have to agree. I don’t think Meyer’s writing style is the best, but she does very well with characterization and emotion. For that alone, I enjoy the stories.

Posted by Sallene on February 05, 2009, 01:56 PM report to moderator

Stephen King is a brilliant man, just to state the obvious.

Posted by marigan on February 05, 2009, 02:13 PM report to moderator
Miisa_thumb

HAHAHA! Thank you, Stephen King! Twilight was such a painful read. I almost stopped listening to Pottercast when they were all excited about this terrible series.

Posted by TheCupcake on February 05, 2009, 02:19 PM report to moderator
Triogrounds2cut_thumb

wow…that’s exactley what i always thought…meyer’s writing is annoying and drives me crazy but the story she writes is interesting and i enjoyed it. my friends think that’s odd but the writing of a story can be stupid but the story can be good. but jo is good all around, of course:):):)

Posted by kayzz on February 05, 2009, 04:16 PM report to moderator
Harry_and_ginny_3_thumb

HAHAHAHAHAH thtas harsh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Crown Victoria [WBM] on February 05, 2009, 04:50 PM report to moderator

"Welcome... How nice to see you in the physical world at last."