Stephen King Comments on JK Rowling and Stephenie Meyer

Celebs on HP
February 03, 2009, 07:52 PM

Scores of readers let us know about a new interview with acclaimed author Stephen King, who has made some new comments regarding Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer. Speaking with USA Weekend, Mr. King compared the two authors and had some blunt things to say about the Twilight author Meyer. Quotage as follows:

Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. ... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good."

"Somebody who’s a terrific writer who’s been very, very successful is Jodi Picoult. You’ve got Dean Koontz, who can write like hell. And then sometimes he’s just awful. It varies. James Patterson is a terrible writer but he’s very very successful. People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because they’re not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet."

Thanks to everyone who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Celebs on HP News

Bakura-ep18-cave-afterbolders_thumb

“Anyhow, here is some fanfiction. I know I am not J.K Rooling or whatever the hell her name is, but I can still try, can’t I?” -Yuu Kanda
you go Yuu-chan!
hehe
take some anime hate
THATS from a twilight who used to respect harry potter and all his fans

Posted by ice-alchemist on February 04, 2009, 09:10 PM report to moderator

why thank you

Posted by albus1881 on February 04, 2009, 09:10 PM report to moderator

that was to “sunlitdays” by the way

Posted by albus1881 on February 04, 2009, 09:13 PM report to moderator
B100slytherin_thumb

I’m not going to comment on the Stephenie Meyer part, but he sure is right about one thing. J.K. Rowling is a fantastic writer!

Posted by Jennifer [SFTC!] on February 04, 2009, 09:14 PM report to moderator
M_8bc124468f514fc689537bc469829ef3_thumb

J.K Rowling is a wayyy better writer than Meyer. J.K is very descriptive and thorough with her story telling. Meyer just isn’t as skilled with the technical aspects of writing, but its the plot of twilight that attracts so many people

Posted by DanniRV on February 04, 2009, 09:28 PM report to moderator
Nymphadora_tonks_by_hito762_thumb

Yeah Stephen King! The twilight books were ok but I had waaaay higher expectations, and yeah pretty much JK rowling is better :)

Posted by SabrinaDrolet14 on February 04, 2009, 10:02 PM report to moderator
Iconator_de5ee9375a0402eaeb6032b64f46451c_thumb

You Go Stephen King, for finaly saying the plain old truth about Stephanie Meyer’s non existant writing skills

Posted by thursrain on February 04, 2009, 10:05 PM report to moderator
Laughing_dan_thumb
2027 Points

go jo!!!

i know meyer has had some thing to say about jo, but has jo said anything about meyer and the twilight books? i know she is way to class to diss on twilight like i want her to, but im just wondering…

Posted by sunlitdays (ROAR) on February 04, 2009, 10:20 PM report to moderator
Mic13crop_thumb

yeah- i have to agree with him. i really liked the twilight series because, well, i’m a teenage girl and cannot resist a bad-boy(i love sirius too!). However, I like to think that I am at least a smart teenage girl and the literary devices and nuances in her books… well, they aren’t in her books. if stephanie meyer writes because she loves it, thats awesome but there is a huge difference between something that could easily pass as a well-written fanfic and a classic.

Posted by Cara on February 04, 2009, 11:08 PM report to moderator

How ironic is this? I just finished the first Twilight book and my thought on page one was “Stephen King would hate this book.” Anyone who doesn’t know why King doesn’t like Meyer’s writing should read his book “On Writing” and it will all make sense.

Posted by coweatyou on February 04, 2009, 11:22 PM report to moderator

Ha ha! This is hilarious, and so true. I like the Twilight series, but Stephenie Meyer cannot write very well at all and Jo is wonderful with words.

Posted by GinnyClone30250 on February 05, 2009, 12:02 AM report to moderator
250px-hufflepuff_thumb

I did enjoy the Twilight series, but I suppose that I was attracted to it for the love story and of course the Vampires. There is no doubt that Jo is an amazing writer, although I really don’t get why everyone is so eager to complain about Stephenie Meyer.

Posted by Tami on February 05, 2009, 12:32 AM report to moderator
Yea_they_do_thumb

I never really cared for the twilight hype, and then my friend made me start reading it. I’ve been on page 20 for about 2 months. Her writing is so bad, i can’t even read it… I mean, i’m a college kid, i have to read TEXT books that are more interesting then what SM has to say. I’m sorry for all you twilight goers out there, but open your eyes. It’s horrible narration.

Posted by hpgeekinpink on February 05, 2009, 02:54 AM report to moderator
My_owl_thumb

I want to lick his shoes. I really do. For him to say that, as an important figure, means a lot to me.

But I don’t like to appear utterly unfeeling. Stephenie worked pretty darn hard on those books, because you have to for any book. But I completely think the topic was absolute rubbish. I acknowledge her right in this world to do all that she’s done, but the books seemed honestly to me a lame excuse to live out a daydream. A pathetic daydream. Something like what a foolish girl would see in the mirror of Erised. The girls who read this, I personally feel, will be wasting their lives in front of this mirror.

I think it’s fair to say that though some people are mature enough to realise that it’s just a daydream, a lot of thirteen year olds will just dedicate themselves whole-heartedly to such a false and vain daydream.

So I thank Stephen King. Because writers should write for the benefit of others, not for petty vainities.

Posted by Sorcha on February 05, 2009, 05:35 AM report to moderator
Wingardium_leviosa_thumb

Yeah I must agree. I have read the Twilight books and thought that the first and last were ok, the story itself is pretty good, but I had to force myself through the other two. They’re OK like, but not in the same league as Harry Potter :)

Posted by Wingardium on February 05, 2009, 05:49 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Are you trying to earn some extra money, Weasley? Hoping to be gamekeeper yourself when you leave Hogwarts, I suppose -- that hut of Hagrid's must seem like a palace compared to what your family's used to."