Stephen King Comments on JK Rowling and Stephenie Meyer

Celebs on HP
February 03, 2009, 07:52 PM

Scores of readers let us know about a new interview with acclaimed author Stephen King, who has made some new comments regarding Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer. Speaking with USA Weekend, Mr. King compared the two authors and had some blunt things to say about the Twilight author Meyer. Quotage as follows:

Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. ... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good."

"Somebody who’s a terrific writer who’s been very, very successful is Jodi Picoult. You’ve got Dean Koontz, who can write like hell. And then sometimes he’s just awful. It varies. James Patterson is a terrible writer but he’s very very successful. People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because they’re not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet."

Thanks to everyone who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Celebs on HP News

I-quote_hogwarts0144_thumb

Yeah, what everyone’s been saying. I agree with the fact the Jo is a fabulous WRITER and I also love SMeyer’s STORY. Actually, I also enjoyed the Maximum Ride Series (James Patterson) mainly because I liked the main idea and the characters. His writing was not in any way special like JKR’s. I can see that.
I just don’t like that he was so harsh about Stephenie’s writing. Okay, its not the best, but honestly I think its above average for sure and her books are worth reading, if only for the sake of the plot/characters.
Oh well. I haven’t read any Stephen King but being a HP and Twilight fan, I’m not sure what kind of impression he’s given me about himself. Lol.

Posted by BewareoftheNargles {WBM} on February 04, 2009, 02:54 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_ravenclaw_thumb

Oh my gosh! I now officially love Stephen King! Having not read any of his books, I can’t say anything about his ability to write, but him saying that Stephanie Meyer can’t write just made my day! Go Him!

Posted by Edna_Turnblad on February 04, 2009, 03:03 PM report to moderator
001_thumb

God, I love Stephen King. I couldn’t agree more regarding Meyer, Patterson, etc.

Posted by Bunney on February 04, 2009, 03:29 PM report to moderator
Img_3521_thumb

I like him now. I’ve never read any Stephen King, but after that comment, he’s OK with me. Don’t like Twilight, not that I’ll ever read it or ever have.

Posted by McGiggles92 on February 04, 2009, 03:36 PM report to moderator
Profile_thumb

Well personally I see writing as for the audience as much as for the writer. Since people have enjoyed the Twilight books (myself to an extent) they are very much valid and should be seen as reasonably good books. For them to be popular that means that something in them has touched a lot of people, and that includes men who are no longer teenagers (ie myself).

Nevertheless, it’s of course ridiculous to compare them to HP which is greater in scope, impact, writing quality, universal appeal… I could continue.

I admit, part of me loves Stephen King for saying this, as much as I feel for Stephenie Meyer having to read it. I knew there was a reason I loved him, and it took some guts to say this.

Anyone who’s curious about Stephen King but who doesn’t like horror/thriller works should try The Dark Tower series (which is fantasy). The first book was written when he was young and isn’t as good, but the other six more than make up for it. He considers it his most significant work, even if the critics don’t, and for me it stands alongside Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.

Posted by David Wood on February 04, 2009, 03:38 PM report to moderator
C_01_thumb

I love him for being so blunt, even though I hate to think how Stephenie Meyer felt when she read this, if she did. (I wish leaky had left in the word " d@mn "). I love Twilight but its true, shes not a very good writer. I found that the book read like about a 100 other Vampire Fanfictions/ OC Storys I had read in the past and it bothered me. I like the STORY but I don’t like her writing. She has some work to improve on.

Posted by Rose on February 04, 2009, 03:51 PM report to moderator
Ahh_thumb

JK Rowling is a fantastic writer. There are so few books that can hold my attention. Most books I start, I never finish. I lose interest in the story. I couldn’t put the Harry Potter books down. I can’t comment on Stephanie Meyer because I haven’t read any of her work.

Posted by spicefan78 OoM1 {ROAR!} on February 04, 2009, 03:52 PM report to moderator
Moony_thumb

I agree with Rose, Meyer’s stories are good and they did interest me a lot, but her writing is not that good. It was quite an immature style (I don’t mean childish, I mean that her style is quite young, undeveloped) but a good story none the less.

Posted by sammykins on February 04, 2009, 03:59 PM report to moderator
Evanna2_thumb

i agree. im a Twilight fan, but i can honestly say Jo writes much better then SM, and Harry has tons more depth then Twilight. the story is what really makes up for it. =)
love stephen king, haa!

Posted by tonksgirl *ROAR* on February 04, 2009, 04:04 PM report to moderator
Dumbledore_thumb

I believe it’s pretty obvious that Harry Potter has a better overall story, and I don’t agree with Stephen King’s comments, but he’s entitled to his own opinion.

Posted by Tyman28962 on February 04, 2009, 04:07 PM report to moderator

As a person who has read HP, Twilight, and Stephen King, I completley agree with him. Comparing Twilight to HP and Stephen King is like comparing a cookie crum to a giant cookie with sprinkles, chocolate chips, etc.

Posted by AccioAmanda ☆WBM☆ on February 04, 2009, 04:09 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

Tell us something we don’t know Mr King? Did anyone else think it was slightly arrogant of him to say he influenced Jo, we don’t know that do we?

Posted by KiwiMcI on February 04, 2009, 04:10 PM report to moderator
Iconavmeg_thumb

I see his point! Jo is a much better author, the endig of DH vs. the endig of Breaking Dawn is a very good prof of that. But I have to admitt I like the Twilight novels, but mostly for the story. Actually I don’t see the point of comparing them in the first place.

Posted by Cheimonas on February 04, 2009, 04:15 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

I agree with the idea that the story is nice to read, but the writing is terrible. Well said Mr. King.

Posted by on February 04, 2009, 04:15 PM report to moderator

Wow. Wow. I love people who have the guts to be honest. I read Twilight and thought they were good.. but nothing to be obsessed over. He’s right about the teenage girl thing. And SO right about Jo being so much better.

Posted by jenbabe705 on February 04, 2009, 04:20 PM report to moderator

Directly above them, framed in the doorway from the Brain Room, stood Albus Dumbledore, his wand aloft, his face white and furious. Harry felt a kind of electric charge surge through every particle of his body -- [i]they were saved.[/i]

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014