Stephen King Comments on JK Rowling and Stephenie Meyer

Celebs on HP
February 03, 2009, 07:52 PM

Scores of readers let us know about a new interview with acclaimed author Stephen King, who has made some new comments regarding Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer. Speaking with USA Weekend, Mr. King compared the two authors and had some blunt things to say about the Twilight author Meyer. Quotage as follows:

Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. ... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good."

"Somebody who’s a terrific writer who’s been very, very successful is Jodi Picoult. You’ve got Dean Koontz, who can write like hell. And then sometimes he’s just awful. It varies. James Patterson is a terrible writer but he’s very very successful. People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because they’re not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet."

Thanks to everyone who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Celebs on HP News

Photo_25_thumb

So true. Stephanie Meyer is not a good author, but her stories are what attracts all of her readers.

Posted by David. on February 03, 2009, 07:56 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

Stephen King, you’ve just made my day :) Although I’d hate to be you when the hoards of Twilighters are finished with you.

Posted by michaelabraham on February 03, 2009, 07:58 PM report to moderator
9348128_thumb

Its pretty true. What King said is something we’ve all thought, but haven’t had to a chance to say in a way that would make an effect. Stephen King has done just that, and good on him for doing so.

Posted by xoxwhoaxox on February 03, 2009, 08:01 PM report to moderator
I-quote_ravenclaw0140_thumb

Oooh boy, this is not gonna be pretty…

grabs popcorn

Posted by L. P. Dantas on February 03, 2009, 08:01 PM report to moderator
Avatar_3_thumb

haha so true! He took the words out of my mouth! It is about time that twilight received some (very) public criticism!!!

Posted by netsrikb on February 03, 2009, 08:02 PM report to moderator
Pbh5_thumb

When I saw this article as I was signing onto my email I got happy butterflies! Thank you Stephen King for stating the obvious! =D

Posted by SpottedxFire on February 03, 2009, 08:04 PM report to moderator
Harryp_thumb

On Twitter Stephenie Meyer was spelled wrong… glad that’s fixed.

Ok, I happen to completely be against insulting ANY authors work. I happen to really enjoy Twilight (Stephenie Meyer) and Maximum Ride (James Patterson).

Posted by Christine on February 03, 2009, 08:06 PM report to moderator
Half_blood_prince_thumb

i have to agree she’s not very good but man.. you’ll be dead when the twilight fans are finished with u let me spell that for u D-E-A-D dead!!!

Posted by Andonut (Greek Ninja) [FTC!] (SHEIKRA) on February 03, 2009, 08:09 PM report to moderator
0119092003_thumb

Thank you Stephen King.

Posted by debbielikescereal on February 03, 2009, 08:11 PM report to moderator
Goficons-mmarauder-14_thumb

Yeah she isnt a great writer, I think the fans of Twilight must just get into it so much they can over look the mistakes?? I’m not sure hes made himself too popular though….not that he probably even cares.

Posted by Remus_Rocks on February 03, 2009, 08:13 PM report to moderator
I-quote_ravenclaw0140_thumb

Well, the only “sin” Stephen commited was in the “can’t write worth a darn” bit. It’s funny, but a bit harsh, and that alone caused all the fangirl rage you see in the comments. :rollseyes:

But you can see that he actually read the books by the comments he has on them. His description of the book’s appeal doesn’t seem to be based on some Graig’s list.

Posted by L. P. Dantas on February 03, 2009, 08:15 PM report to moderator
I-quote_ravenclaw0140_thumb

But you can see that he actually read the books by the comments he has on them. His description of the book’s appeal doesn’t seem to be based on some Craig’s list.

Posted by L. P. Dantas on February 03, 2009, 08:15 PM report to moderator
Th_th03_1__thumb

Well I think J.K Rowling is a better writter but I dont think Stephenie Meyer is bad. She just needs more experience in writting.

Posted by ღ Courtney {R0aR} ღ on February 03, 2009, 08:17 PM report to moderator

YES hahaha awesome, thats why I love him.

Posted by taraaa on February 03, 2009, 08:17 PM report to moderator
Tova_mini_thumb

I don’t get obsessed over Twilight, but they were a nice read, and I think that Stephenie Meyer is a good author. So is James Patterson. But I’m hoping that Stephen King wasn’t completely serious, maybe exaggerating a little. I think that being able to get a book published is a great honor. Even though some books can be terrible, it is still a lot of effort

Posted by rtpuppydog on February 03, 2009, 08:18 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

...she pulled out two misshapen woolly objects, placed them carefully on a table by the fireplace, covered them with a few screwed-up bits of parchment and a broken quill, and stood back to admire the effect.[br]"What in the name of Merlin are you doing?"