Harry Potter Books at Auction: First Edition Philosopher's Stone Selling at Record Prices

Books
February 27, 2009, 09:33 AM

Several pieces of news today regarding Harry Potter books up for auction. First thanks to Heritage Auction for letting us know about a first edition Bloomsbury copy of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Sorcerer's Stone) they have for auction. Heritage let us know this book is "a rare true first edition of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone – one of the original 200 copies in the publisher’s illustrated stiff wrappers from the initial 500 copy print run." The Los Angeles Chronicle is reporting the book, due to go live online for the auction March 6 in Texas, is already "going for $15,000; nearly $18,000 with the buyer's premium included.The previous auction record was $10,750," said James Gannon, Director of Rare Books at Heritage Auction Galleries in Dallas." The paper continues:

The anonymous consignor, described by Gannon as "an avid book collector from England," said he's frankly surprised -- and delighted -- at the early bidding: "It takes a lot to shock me, but this is probably as shocked as I have ever been regarding auction bidding. Has the world gone mad? We are in the deepest recession for 80 years and a Harry Potter children's paperback book is setting a record price."

In a release to TLC, Heritage said: Not only is this the first edition, first issue of the greatest fantasy saga of our time,” said James Gannon, Director of Rare Books at Heritage, “but it comes with an added bonus – an illustrated card duplicating the front cover art and signed by J. K. Rowling. Last October, we sold a first edition in the original wrappers almost exactly like this one for $10,755, but it was not accompanied by Rowling’s signature, making this copy even more desirable.” You can see this book, as well as another Harry Potter book that will be included in the online auction March 6 via this link.

On a related note,  a JKR signed copy of the UK edition of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is up for auction, with proceeds to help the fight against pediatric HIV and AIDs in children. This auction is ongoing and runs until March 3rd.

Thanks Brenna and Richard!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

Wow! Awesome! But not in my budget right now… :(

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on February 28, 2009, 08:54 AM report to moderator
Bd_thorgal027_thumb

I wish I had a first edition of Philosopher’s Stone… But unfortunately I only found out about Harry Potter in 1999!!

Posted by emmy. on February 28, 2009, 10:00 AM report to moderator
Bd_thorgal027_thumb

Well, at least my Philosopher’s Stone version has the old drawing on the back.So I can THINK I have something sort of rare ;)

Posted by emmy. on February 28, 2009, 10:02 AM report to moderator
Becky_thumb

Wow. That’s crazy, I can’t imagine anyone spending that much money on a book, even if it is Harry Potter. I have to agree with some of the others, I don’t think I would buy it if I had the money, unless the proceeds are going to charity.

Posted by The Silver Doe on February 28, 2009, 11:44 AM report to moderator
Crim0304_thumb

Hell if you’ve got the money, why not? I’d love to own that!

Posted by Sally_Zaar on February 28, 2009, 12:01 PM report to moderator
Hagid_potterpuff_thumb

damn! can someone loan me $20,000 ? j/k it would be awesome to have though

Posted by ravenclawguy1972 ~Prongs~ ( J.O.R.) on February 28, 2009, 12:43 PM report to moderator
Keep_calm_hrh2_thumb

Not at all surprising.

Posted by tinagin [ROAR]! on February 28, 2009, 03:30 PM report to moderator
1956p_thumb

for hardcore wealthy fans only

Posted by cleber*ROAR!* on February 28, 2009, 07:51 PM report to moderator
Paolo_nutini2_thumb

Wit the economic downturn. . . This is crazy. . . . But who carez its their money. . . . . ok, tell me who’s the highest bidder, after this thing is over. . . . I’ll buy frm him/her. . . :) ;p

Posted by Sidish_black6 [WBM] on March 01, 2009, 07:21 AM report to moderator
Z_thumb

Wow, that’s worth a lot. Blimey, wish I could own something that rare!

Posted by chocolaterabbits on March 01, 2009, 12:18 PM report to moderator

That’s Awesome!

Posted by Bradyboy on March 06, 2009, 02:40 AM report to moderator
You_know_poo_who_thumb

WOW!
And someone said you don’t see twilight first editions going for that much – Twilight hasn’t been around for as long as Harry Potter

Posted by Happy_Orange on April 13, 2009, 02:40 PM report to moderator

i wish ihad me one of those books i would be rich lol

Posted by Albus Marcos Dumbledore on August 01, 2009, 10:57 PM report to moderator

.. i live in texas… and i have a copy Harry Potter First Edition : Philosopher’s Stone,its in excellent condition and have had it since i was young when it came out.. is it concidered priceless? is it wrong to sell it at any rate?

Posted by HaxX0rz on December 31, 2011, 03:46 PM report to moderator

"Dobby will have to punish himself most grievously for coming to see you, sir. Dobby will have to shut his ears in the oven door for this. If they ever knew, sir --"