Harry Potter Books at Auction: First Edition Philosopher's Stone Selling at Record Prices

Books
February 27, 2009, 09:33 AM

Several pieces of news today regarding Harry Potter books up for auction. First thanks to Heritage Auction for letting us know about a first edition Bloomsbury copy of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Sorcerer's Stone) they have for auction. Heritage let us know this book is "a rare true first edition of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone – one of the original 200 copies in the publisher’s illustrated stiff wrappers from the initial 500 copy print run." The Los Angeles Chronicle is reporting the book, due to go live online for the auction March 6 in Texas, is already "going for $15,000; nearly $18,000 with the buyer's premium included.The previous auction record was $10,750," said James Gannon, Director of Rare Books at Heritage Auction Galleries in Dallas." The paper continues:

The anonymous consignor, described by Gannon as "an avid book collector from England," said he's frankly surprised -- and delighted -- at the early bidding: "It takes a lot to shock me, but this is probably as shocked as I have ever been regarding auction bidding. Has the world gone mad? We are in the deepest recession for 80 years and a Harry Potter children's paperback book is setting a record price."

In a release to TLC, Heritage said: Not only is this the first edition, first issue of the greatest fantasy saga of our time,” said James Gannon, Director of Rare Books at Heritage, “but it comes with an added bonus – an illustrated card duplicating the front cover art and signed by J. K. Rowling. Last October, we sold a first edition in the original wrappers almost exactly like this one for $10,755, but it was not accompanied by Rowling’s signature, making this copy even more desirable.” You can see this book, as well as another Harry Potter book that will be included in the online auction March 6 via this link.

On a related note,  a JKR signed copy of the UK edition of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is up for auction, with proceeds to help the fight against pediatric HIV and AIDs in children. This auction is ongoing and runs until March 3rd.

Thanks Brenna and Richard!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Wish i had one!

Posted by Celtise [TTW] on February 27, 2009, 09:45 AM report to moderator
108_thumb

It is times like these that I wish I had money!!!!!!

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on February 27, 2009, 09:46 AM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

wow that is really cool!

<——[turns pockets inside out] too bad i’m broke!

J.K.’s signature is really cool looking.

Posted by levi-OH-sa, not levio-SA [neville♥myhero] on February 27, 2009, 09:59 AM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

I would love to have one of those copies. I wonder how much I could save up before the auction? :)

Posted by wizardinventor on February 27, 2009, 10:25 AM report to moderator

To have a true first edition would be sooooooo cool! Also a signed copy of DH wouldn’t be too bad either :-)

Posted by JS297206 on February 27, 2009, 11:10 AM report to moderator
Da_copy_thumb

The world hasnt gone mad but the bidder has, lol. But its the bonus illustration card signed by Rowling which gives it the greater value.

I wish the money was going to charity though but thats not to say the auction is wrong, its a business and there’s nothing wrong with that. But it would be nice if they donated a small percentage to a children’s charity.

Posted by Professor Potter on February 27, 2009, 11:31 AM report to moderator
Biker_old_lady4done_use_thumb

That is going high. It seems some people are not affected by the recession. I would love to have the book but I would never bid on it even if I had the money. Interesting that no word about the proceeds going for charity on this one.

Posted by Cool G on February 27, 2009, 11:33 AM report to moderator
Animated_tom-voldemort_thumb

Whoa Cool G… be cool, relax XD.
Anyways… I guess I wouldn’t buy it either even if I had the money… I’d rather… dunno, go to the last 3 movies premiere or whatever… Jeez… What do you think they do with these books? I mean, obviously not read them as if they were any books, I’d have them in an isolated glass self, with lasers and fierce dogs around them XD.

Posted by Dark Lord Hector on February 27, 2009, 12:31 PM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

I would be so proud to have a signature from Jo, unfortunately I cannot afford these ones! A bit pricey for my “watch my pennies” budget!!

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on February 27, 2009, 12:33 PM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

Wow. If only…

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on February 27, 2009, 12:58 PM report to moderator
My_owl_thumb

Totally epic. And I agree, her signiture is awesome. xD
Oh, the upper class. The things they do.

Posted by Sorcha on February 27, 2009, 01:03 PM report to moderator
300567_2361507881487_1364030000_2759311_7753059_n_thumb

not fair. why do i have to be broke??

Posted by kimberly on February 27, 2009, 01:34 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

wow!!!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on February 27, 2009, 02:03 PM report to moderator
I-quote_hogwarts0144_thumb

Anything signed by Jo would be amazing. Too bad I can’t pay for it. I just wish i could meet her.

Posted by BewareoftheNargles {WBM} on February 27, 2009, 02:42 PM report to moderator
Playermodel

it just goes to show just how great this fandom is.

you don’t see twilight first editions being bought for that much.

Posted by jonfrog {ROAR} on February 27, 2009, 02:51 PM report to moderator

He was very fond of his wand, and as far as he was concerned its relation to Voldemort's wand was something it couldn't help... However, he really hoped that Mr. Ollivander wasn't about to tell the room about it. He had a funny feeling Rita Skeeter's Quic

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014