Matt Lewis Talks Neville and Nagini in New Interview

Lewis Interviews
February 02, 2009, 09:56 AM

Actor Matt Lewis has given a new interview where he briefly mentions his role as Neville Longbottom in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows films. In a online chat held over the weekend, Matt says he has still not yet seen the script for the films which are due to start filming on the 15th of this month, but says he is looking forward to a couple scenes, in particular the dramatic events at the end of the book in the final battle against Voldemort and his followers. Matt responds to several questions on Deathly Hallows, one regarding his favorite Neville moment in Book Seven, and what it is like to play a character so pivotal to the plot line of the book:

Matt Lewis: Deathly Hallows is going to be so much fun to shoot. I don't have a script yet, so I can't be exactly sure how everything is going to work out. However, I think my answer will be a bit predictable! The scene I'm looking forward to the most is when Neville swings the sword and kills Nagini. That is going to be intense! In fact, the whole final battle sequence is going to be amazing. Still can't believe they're going to trust me with a sword though!
...

"It's got to be the sword swinging, snake killing bit I'm looking forward to most. I guess that's pretty "kick-butt." I'm really excited about it. I got a taste for the action side of things in Order of the Phoenix and I can't wait to do some more!

...
It gives me a great sense of responsibility. I know what the books meant to me when I read them and I imagine the films can mean the same to people and so it's very important to get it right. Playing a character that has such a crucial role in how the story develops is inspiring and I'm very excited about it- I just have to make sure I don't mess it up!

Be sure to read more with Matt and the interview with Castlewhitefang.com via this link. Thanks so much James!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Lewis Interviews News

Poesy_-_copie_thumb

Yeah ! Neville rocks !

Posted by Hepburn on February 02, 2009, 01:05 PM report to moderator

omg, cant wait for that scene either its so exciting!!!!

Posted by iLoveNeville on February 02, 2009, 01:15 PM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

Neville is my favorite HP character too and I think Matt plays him beautifully!!!

Every time I picked up a new HP book, I wondered what would happen with Neville. JKR made me cry in OOTP when Neville & his Gran were visiting his parents in St Mungo’s. Then she made me VERY HAPPY in DH!!!

We never hear too much from Matt, so I’m really glad to see this chat. He sounds like such a great guy! Hope we get to hear a lot more from him.

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on February 02, 2009, 01:19 PM report to moderator
Img_7524_thumb

Matt Lewis is absolutely the perfect person to play Neville. He sounds just like the character in a lot of ways. I am sooooooooooo excited for that scene!!

Posted by RavenclawDancer on February 02, 2009, 01:29 PM report to moderator
Susieprominusface_thumb

I think it’s great that Matt loves the books as much as we “ordinary” fans do. :)

Posted by SusiePuff [*SQUEE!!!*] on February 02, 2009, 01:32 PM report to moderator
Mugsp_profile_thumb

Aww…Matt is so cute! I love it when the actors are just as invested as the fans! What a great character and a great person! :)

Posted by eiVega on February 02, 2009, 02:31 PM report to moderator
Pic_thumb

I wonder if we’ll see a bit of him in the epilogue stuff??

Posted by VoodooDarling on February 02, 2009, 02:43 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

Oh, Matt. The fandom loves you. And we can’t wait to see you in total BAMF mode, either.

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on February 02, 2009, 03:12 PM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

I meant to say before that I love Matt’s comment about Evanna Lynch:

“Well, when I first met Evanna I thought it was the most perfect casting I had ever witnessed. She was just Luna Lovegood in every way. However, she has changed so much in the last few years. I’ve seen her mature and change a lot as a person yet when she’s on screen she is always able to capture Luna Lovegood perfectly. I think to say that she IS Luna Lovegood would detract from her talent slightly – she really is a great actress”.

What a guy! Love ya Matt!

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on February 02, 2009, 03:28 PM report to moderator
40320resize_thumb

Oooh that scene is going to be epic! I cannot wait for DH!

Posted by Athena ★ROAR!★ on February 02, 2009, 03:29 PM report to moderator
Img_3521_thumb

I can’t wait to see that scene in the movie. If WB does it right, the whole Battle of Hogwarts is going to be the most awesome thing in movie history.

Posted by McGiggles92 on February 02, 2009, 04:12 PM report to moderator
Pic_3_thumb

Matt doesnt even have to say anything! He can play Neville by just standing there and STILL be badass!

Posted by Will Nevins on February 02, 2009, 04:17 PM report to moderator
Profilebild_thumb

I cant wait for DH Neville kicking butt!! :D

Posted by Alatarielle on February 02, 2009, 04:32 PM report to moderator
Thio_palha_o_msn_thumb

Cool!! We all have avatars now?

You won’t mess it up Matt. Go kill that snake!! \o/

Posted by Thio on February 02, 2009, 04:57 PM report to moderator
Biker_old_lady4done_use_thumb

I hope that they don’t mess up his part in the movies. Neville has always been a favorite of mine. Surely they will allow Matt to be the handsome man that he is and not have him look so nerdy as they do in the movies. This will be his time to shine.

Posted by Cool G on February 02, 2009, 05:17 PM report to moderator

"If you're wondering what the smell is, Mother, a Mudblood just walked in."

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014