Hagrid's Hut at Harry Potter Theme Park to be "Unoccupied Prop Structure"

Fans
February 16, 2009, 07:49 AM

As we have been reporting, construction is continuing on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park attraction at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida. Today, the Orlando Sentinel has a short update on the progress, confirming Hagrid's Hut is currently being built, with the paper citing building permits as the source. The article states:

The setting, according to the permits, is being built for Universal by the Nassal Co. of Orlando, which specializes in themed construction projects.

While the permits offer few details, it appears Hagrid's Hut will be mostly for display purposes. The documents suggest the interior of the building will be used for prop storage.

"Hagrid's Hut is an unoccupied themed prop structure," according to one permit description.

You can see recent construction photos of the hut here, and here in our image galleries.

To follow what TLC first reported last year, Screamscape is also reporting that "As far as the “world” itself, I’ve been told that they are planning lots of street atmosphere entertainment, such as building in a system of special effects to allow for ‘wizard duels’ to take place in the streets. Universal is also working with their chefs to come up with lots of new and unique foot items inspired from the books, which will apparently include “butterbeer”. According to a report from someone who claims to have actually tasted a test version of it, the final version may taste a little bit like root beer."  The Screamscape article also has more on the supposed closing of the Dueling Dragons, as they note: "We’ve heard an early rumor claiming that Dueling Dragons will close entirely for it’s final transformation to become part of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter sometime between September and December 2009."

Finally, a last tidbit on the giant Hogwarts Castle, as the Sceamscape author writes: While I know everyone is dying to know more about the major ride inside Hogwarts (which will include an extensively themed and long indoor queue like Spiderman and Dueling Dragons), I’ve been told that Universal is planning on holding back on that information until late 2009.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

My family is planning a trip to Florida in Spring of 10. We held off for a whole year just to make sure that we were able to see this theme park! It’s Harry first and Walt’s Mouse second for this family!!

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on February 16, 2009, 05:37 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

I’m disappointed that you won’t be able to go into Hagrid’s Hut :(

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on February 16, 2009, 05:59 PM report to moderator
250px-hufflepuff_thumb

I can’t wait for them to finish the theme park I really want to go. I have been to island of adventures before and I am curious to see how they will transform the dueling dragons ride. I wonder if the ride inside Hogwarts will be sorta like the spiderman ride where you are in a cart but there are lots of effects, that would be pretty cool.

Posted by Tami on February 16, 2009, 06:01 PM report to moderator
250px-hufflepuff_thumb

RightLeftMiddle – You now get house points for doing stuff around leaky. It’s all a part of MyLeaky which just launched not all that long ago. You can read the FAQ on points at http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/myleaky/secure/points

Posted by Tami on February 16, 2009, 06:04 PM report to moderator
Small_thumb

Storing props in Hagird’s hut! That’s lame. We should be able to step inside and enjoy what every building has to offer. Besides Hagrids Hut should have a hot tub by now. They upgrade it every year.
That’s awesome they are incorporating themed food! That would be so fun to try them, but I don’t imagine butterbeer tasting like root beer. I think it should be a thicker cream soda. It should be smooth tasting, not peppery.

Posted by grednforge7 on February 16, 2009, 06:33 PM report to moderator
Ravenqueen_thumb

thats too bad that Hagrid’s hut is only going to be a prop. There are so many things they could do with it! But I am very excited to try butterbeer!!! I am deffinatly going to Florida when it opens!

Posted by raven_puff on February 16, 2009, 06:38 PM report to moderator
I-quote_ravenclaw0140_thumb

Oh well, you can’t have everything, I guess…
Those wizard duels however do sound intriguing! Oh, this park is going to be amazing!

Posted by L. P. Dantas on February 16, 2009, 06:49 PM report to moderator
Hagid_potterpuff_thumb

kind of a shame Hagrid’s hut willbe used for storage but it would be cool to have an animatronic BuckBeak ..I mean Wither Wings next to it

Posted by ravenclawguy1972 ~Prongs~ ( J.O.R.) on February 16, 2009, 06:56 PM report to moderator
14202936_thumb

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WIZARD DUELS!!!!!!

Posted by littlefurlo3 on February 16, 2009, 07:36 PM report to moderator
Queensguest_thumb

I hope that it is worth the waiting and anticipation. I know that when I was 3/4 of the way through the final book I was sad, since all of the waiting would be over and I could never have the delicious anticipation that came from another count down ticker.

While all of the islands (in Islands of Adventure — where the theme park will be located) are well themed, they do not change very much. In fact the additional of this island is the first major update the park has had in almost 10 years. I am not complaining about this new and exciting outlet of fandom, but I love Disney since it is never complete and things are always changing (without losing too much of what does work). I just hope that this island has the repeatability factor and more of the Disney-ish magic.

Posted by BuffyXO {WBM} on February 16, 2009, 07:44 PM report to moderator

YAY! Just imagining this park makes my so excited and every time I hear more about it I just get really happy!

Posted by MaidOfAwesome on February 16, 2009, 08:05 PM report to moderator
Quidditch_2012_thumb

I like root beer, but I want something different for butterbeer. It’s not supposed to tasted like anything we muggles have ever had, right?

Posted by muzic823{ROAR} on February 16, 2009, 08:10 PM report to moderator
Potterpuffsi010-vi_thumb

I wish you could go inside, but oh well. The park sounds like it will be amazing!!!

Posted by siriuslysirius11 {*SQUEE*} on February 16, 2009, 08:53 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

I don’t see how anyone deduced from the words “unoccupied themed prop structure” that Hagrid’s Hut will be a place to STORE props. It could just mean that the building has no function but to serve as a prop ITSELF – a bit of stage scenery. That would be unfortunate.

As for butterbeer, I will be very disappointed if it’s just some kind of soda, on the assumption that that’s what all Americans want to drink. And if it is carbonated, it shouldn’t be an overly sweet or fizzy kiddie drink. I’ve always thought of it as something like a cream ale with lots of body, lots of malt & not much hops, little carbonation, a very low alcohol content (like what is or used to be called “small beer” in Britain), a “buttery” head & a good dose of ginger to make it warming, like ginger beer.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on February 16, 2009, 08:55 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

Wow, this is almost as exciting as the first photos of Hagrid’s hut for filming! I am excited, though. Only a year-ish to go! Squee!

Posted by The Hufflepuff Giraffe on February 16, 2009, 09:00 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"I still want to hear about anything odd. But you're not to go leaving Hogwarts without permission; it would be an ideal opportunity for someone to attack you."[br]"No one's tried to attack me so far, except a dragon and a couple of grindylows," Harry sai