Hagrid's Hut at Harry Potter Theme Park to be "Unoccupied Prop Structure"

Fans
February 16, 2009, 07:49 AM

As we have been reporting, construction is continuing on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park attraction at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida. Today, the Orlando Sentinel has a short update on the progress, confirming Hagrid's Hut is currently being built, with the paper citing building permits as the source. The article states:

The setting, according to the permits, is being built for Universal by the Nassal Co. of Orlando, which specializes in themed construction projects.

While the permits offer few details, it appears Hagrid's Hut will be mostly for display purposes. The documents suggest the interior of the building will be used for prop storage.

"Hagrid's Hut is an unoccupied themed prop structure," according to one permit description.

You can see recent construction photos of the hut here, and here in our image galleries.

To follow what TLC first reported last year, Screamscape is also reporting that "As far as the “world” itself, I’ve been told that they are planning lots of street atmosphere entertainment, such as building in a system of special effects to allow for ‘wizard duels’ to take place in the streets. Universal is also working with their chefs to come up with lots of new and unique foot items inspired from the books, which will apparently include “butterbeer”. According to a report from someone who claims to have actually tasted a test version of it, the final version may taste a little bit like root beer."  The Screamscape article also has more on the supposed closing of the Dueling Dragons, as they note: "We’ve heard an early rumor claiming that Dueling Dragons will close entirely for it’s final transformation to become part of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter sometime between September and December 2009."

Finally, a last tidbit on the giant Hogwarts Castle, as the Sceamscape author writes: While I know everyone is dying to know more about the major ride inside Hogwarts (which will include an extensively themed and long indoor queue like Spiderman and Dueling Dragons), I’ve been told that Universal is planning on holding back on that information until late 2009.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

User144_pic2545_1286857182_thumb

Wow they are putting alot a great things in this Theme Park and I so want to go when it opens.

Posted by firekeeper on February 16, 2009, 09:37 AM report to moderator

I was hoping that Hagrid’s Hut would be along the lines of the buildings in Disney’s Toon Town. Butterbeer like rootbeer? In my opinion, it would be closer if it was cream soda based. And, dualing in the streets is akin to apparating directly into someone house to me.

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on February 16, 2009, 09:37 AM report to moderator
Wgwg2_thumb
2064 Points

i can not wait! it all sounds so awesome!!

Posted by hp29 [ROAR!] on February 16, 2009, 09:44 AM report to moderator
Wgwg2_thumb
2064 Points

i can not wait! it all sounds so awesome!!

Posted by hp29 [ROAR!] on February 16, 2009, 09:44 AM report to moderator
Ravenclawd_normal_thumb

OOOOHHHHHH

Want that NOW

Posted by DobbyandWinky WBM!!! on February 16, 2009, 09:48 AM report to moderator
Baby_harry_thumb

I think hagrid’s hut being a storage place is a good idea. Other than maybe seeing some unicorn hair, what do we really expect inside? It’s more the idea that “hey, there’s hagrid’s hut” that makes it cool, in my opinion.

As to the butter beer, sunlitdays, I think that it being like root beer makes sense. The “beer” word made me think of rootbeer. It should warm you up, but perhaps not be warm itself, you know. I expect maybe somewhere between root beer and a cream soda, with a bit more buttery taste. A drink like that would warm the insides, I think. Of course, really, butter beer should have just a bit of alcohol to be accurate to the books (how else could winky get drunk off it?), but somehow I doubt they’ll include that detail. As Ron says, “it’s not strong, that stuff,” the sort of thing that, in the HP universe, they wouldn’t have a problem giving to wizard kids, because it probably has so little alcohol as to do nothing besides give a tiny bit of warmness to it.

But hey, butter beer anyway sounds delicious!

Posted by savingharry on February 16, 2009, 10:09 AM report to moderator
Baby_harry_thumb

Yeah, Noble Birth Descending. Like I said, maybe somewhere in between?

Posted by savingharry on February 16, 2009, 10:09 AM report to moderator
Picture_6_thumb

I can’t wait!!

Posted by Emily [ROAR] on February 16, 2009, 10:13 AM report to moderator
Johnb_thumb

Well that’s a bummer, I can understand that they would try and not have an actor there {who could the get to equal or surpass Coltrane?}, but I would have liked to be able to go in and look around. I also like Emily McKenzie idea of being able to look in a window at a puppet {made in Coltrane’s image of course} doing something in there.

As for the Butter Beer, whereas I do like Root Beer, I was hoping for something else, like Cream Soda with a bit of a Butter flavor and maybe some Carmel too. Oh well, it will be, what it will be, but whatever it is I am sure it will taste good, I do not think I have tasted anything that came out of places like that, that I flat out did not like.

John B.

Posted by JohnB on February 16, 2009, 10:16 AM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

wow i can’t wait!!
this is really exciting :DD

Posted by Christine on February 16, 2009, 10:17 AM report to moderator
Th_names_thumb

well… that’s a downer. I was kind of hoping that Hagrid’s hut would at least be a gift shop, small food vendor, museum…. something! I was also hoping that butterbeer would taste like butterscotch (even though I don’t like butterscotch). It’s just how I’ve always imagined it to taste… oh well!

Posted by Ginevra86 on February 16, 2009, 10:18 AM report to moderator
Owl_watermelon_thumb

Maybe they’ll build and rebuild Hagrid’s Hut just like they do for the movies ;)

I can’t wait to see some of these street duels. I hope there are lots of sparks.

Posted by Lucia Meadows on February 16, 2009, 10:24 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

It is a pity that tourists will not be able to enter the actual hut! Still, the more we learn about the theme park, the keener I am for it to open as soon as possible.

Posted by Kirk on February 16, 2009, 10:31 AM report to moderator
Gof99_thumb

I’m really looking forward to seeing this park! It will be so awesome to be able to walk around and pretend your in the books!

Posted by hpikjdjg on February 16, 2009, 10:39 AM report to moderator
Colorme_thumb

I want to go someday, but not right when it opens. It’ll be too busy and I’m not keen on 3 hour lines. I hope the butterbeer doesn’t taste too much like Rootbeer because I think it’s gross! And not at all like how I imagined it would taste.

Posted by MelissaRochelle on February 16, 2009, 10:53 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

...another flash of lightning illuminated the stands, and Harry saw something that distracted him completely -- the silhouette of an enormous shaggy black dog, clearly imprinted against the sky, motionless in the topmost, empty row of seats.