Robert Hardy on his Former Role as Cornelius Fudge

Movies
February 14, 2009, 09:43 AM

Actor Robert Hardy has given a new interview, where he discusses his former role as Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge for the Harry Potter series. Confirming the part of Fudge is not in the upcoming HBP, Mr. Hardy reflects back on the joy he had when working on the set with his fellow Potter actors. Quotage:

I loved my time as Cornelius Fudge, Minister for Magic, but my character has now been erased! I knew it would happen, because he's quite a good part in the book, but there was no way they were ever going to fit everything into one film.

All three producers rang me up, separately, on the same day to give me the news - so I was told three times. They said, 'We're so sorry, we're having to cut the book by half,' so that was the end of that. I was very sad, because of the amusing and wicked people I worked with, like Robbie Coltrane, Michael Gambon and Maggie Smith, who is an old friend. It was such fun to film, and there were so many laughs on set that it was hard to come up with a sober face just before they shouted, 'Action!'

Robert Hardy also mentions some of the issues facing him as an older actor working in films (he is now 83 years old).

Every time I do something now, I have to jump the medical hurdle. The doctors usually say, 'Good God, is that how old you are?' then they report to the insurers, who immediately cry, 'Help!'

The insurers for the Harry Potter films were insuring me for a massive amount of money and being extra reluctant about it. I could almost hear them saying, 'Is he worth it? He's broken most of his bones, he's had cancer and he might drop dead at any moment!'

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Imgp0834_thumb

83?? Really? No!!! Really
wauwwwwww :)
Anyway does that mean they’re not doing any part of the first chapter????

Posted by SilverMoose {!!!ROAR!!!} on February 16, 2009, 05:19 AM report to moderator
Pic_0448_thumb

Poor guy… I though the other minister would have been cool as well. Plus he could’ve added some comic relief in the first few minutes of the film

Posted by robijw(Roar) on February 16, 2009, 02:04 PM report to moderator
Ththhogwartsheaven_thumb

I loved Fudge because he was alwas angry at Harry and it was funny to see him struggle. I wish they did keep him for HBP and the other time in the Prisoner of Azkaban at the end!

Posted by Taylor Potter ~★ROAR★~ on February 16, 2009, 03:46 PM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

I would never have guessed Robert Hardy is 83. I was a fan before HP. I especially remember him playing a villain in one of the Sherlock Holmes stories with Jeremy Brett. He was very evil and very scary. He did a great job!

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on February 16, 2009, 06:45 PM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

he is not that old! dannng he looked like he was in his 60s in order

Posted by levi-OH-sa, not levio-SA [neville♥myhero] on February 16, 2009, 10:35 PM report to moderator

I’m glad he enjoyed playing Fudge. It’s great when the actors show genuine enthusiasm for Harry Potter. I will miss The Other Minister chapter, though. I think that chapter is quite funny.

Posted by badger666 on February 17, 2009, 02:14 AM report to moderator
Rh7_thumb

That’s a pity, that chapter was great, would’ve been funny to see Fudge as he was described in HPB.

Posted by bec majec *roar* on February 19, 2009, 07:02 AM report to moderator
Luna_glasses_thumb

he does NOT look 83!!!

Posted by Fairfortune (swan){WBM!} on February 21, 2009, 07:12 AM report to moderator
Small_wizard_rock_page_logo_thumb

Well he’s wearing pretty well for his age!! I always quite liked him as Fudge!!

Posted by Neil in Scotland * ROAR! * on February 22, 2009, 09:51 AM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

It’s a shame they have to chop up these books so much.

Posted by Garden State Geek on February 24, 2009, 11:29 AM report to moderator

"Met [Ginny] jus' yesterday... I reckon she was hopin' she might run inter someone else at my house." He winked at Harry. "If yeh ask me, [i]she[/i] wouldn' say no ter a signed --"[br]"Oh, shut up," said Harry. Ron snorted with laughter and the ground was