Robert Hardy on his Former Role as Cornelius Fudge

Movies
February 14, 2009, 09:43 AM

Actor Robert Hardy has given a new interview, where he discusses his former role as Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge for the Harry Potter series. Confirming the part of Fudge is not in the upcoming HBP, Mr. Hardy reflects back on the joy he had when working on the set with his fellow Potter actors. Quotage:

I loved my time as Cornelius Fudge, Minister for Magic, but my character has now been erased! I knew it would happen, because he's quite a good part in the book, but there was no way they were ever going to fit everything into one film.

All three producers rang me up, separately, on the same day to give me the news - so I was told three times. They said, 'We're so sorry, we're having to cut the book by half,' so that was the end of that. I was very sad, because of the amusing and wicked people I worked with, like Robbie Coltrane, Michael Gambon and Maggie Smith, who is an old friend. It was such fun to film, and there were so many laughs on set that it was hard to come up with a sober face just before they shouted, 'Action!'

Robert Hardy also mentions some of the issues facing him as an older actor working in films (he is now 83 years old).

Every time I do something now, I have to jump the medical hurdle. The doctors usually say, 'Good God, is that how old you are?' then they report to the insurers, who immediately cry, 'Help!'

The insurers for the Harry Potter films were insuring me for a massive amount of money and being extra reluctant about it. I could almost hear them saying, 'Is he worth it? He's broken most of his bones, he's had cancer and he might drop dead at any moment!'

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Da_copy_thumb

Sad to hear he wont be back but he was superb as the paranoid Fudge. I hope he finds more roles to do but its quite understandable that film producers are afraid of casting a very old person in fear of illness or death. Insurances are high but for people like Robert Hardy, Peter O Toole, and Christopher Lee, they are worth it as long as they pass a medical examination.

Posted by Professor Potter on February 15, 2009, 11:28 AM report to moderator
Luna_thumb

I’m hoping this is not an early sign of the movie completely disecting and destroying the story of the half blood prince. If they are willing to completely take out cornelious, what else are they going to take out? I’ll really hate it if there’s no detail at all.

Posted by LittleLoony♥ʎuool ǝlʇʇıl {WBM!} on February 15, 2009, 11:34 AM report to moderator
Dumbledore_thumb

It’s a pity he won’t be back, but it’s amazing he’s still active at that age!

Posted by Tyman28962 on February 15, 2009, 12:51 PM report to moderator
Img006_thumb

omg! he honestly looks really good for an 83 year old man! WOWWWW and we’ll miss him on harry potter!

Posted by phillip {ROAR!} on February 15, 2009, 01:24 PM report to moderator
Emma1232_thumb

He was a great Fudge! I can’t believe he’s 83 years old! He doesn’t look it! :-)

Posted by Emma Lily [Kiwi] *WBM* on February 15, 2009, 01:39 PM report to moderator
Nymphadora_tonks_by_hito762_thumb

He is sooo old! woah its really hard to believe it!

Posted by SabrinaDrolet14 on February 15, 2009, 03:26 PM report to moderator
Dscf0369_thumb

The other minister was one of my favourite bits of HBP – it’s a shame we won’t be seeing Robert Hardy back in the movie for that scene!! Can’t believe how old he is though!!! Doing goo!!

Posted by Minerva McGonagall on February 15, 2009, 03:41 PM report to moderator
Leaky_thumb

I was just about to say the same thing as everyone else: he’s 83? Wow !!!

Though I would have loved to see the pinstriped cape and lime green bowler hat, his casting was absolutely perfect – just how I imagined Fudge.

I work in government myself, and every now and then I send out an interdepartmental envelope with `Cornelius Fudge, Minister for Magic’ crossed out and another person’s name written in, just to give any other HP fans a laugh :)

Posted by Ravenclawed on February 15, 2009, 05:20 PM report to moderator
108_thumb

Wow, 83! I would have never guessed. Now I am clueless on how they will start the movie.

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on February 15, 2009, 05:58 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

That was such an interesting interview. The Other Minister will be missed. Aside from GOF is my favourite book opening. Littered with Jo’s sense of humour

Posted by KiwiMcI on February 15, 2009, 06:00 PM report to moderator
Keep_calm_hrh2_thumb

That is sad. I’m not surprised they cut the scene. Here’s to his health!

Posted by tinagin [ROAR]! on February 15, 2009, 08:06 PM report to moderator
Cannons_avatar_thumb

It’s a testament to how fine an actor he is how much I disliked Fudge in OotP. He really made me hate Fudge. Cheers Mr. Hardy.

Posted by onespeedonly on February 16, 2009, 01:02 AM report to moderator
Muahaha_thumb

That is too bad we won’t be seeing him again, but I’m glad they had the perfect actor for the part of Fudge. And…I agree, he’s 83?!?! ;D

Posted by ScottMan on February 16, 2009, 02:16 AM report to moderator
67_richardoud_thumb

He is such a perfect Fudge. I wish we could have seen him in The Other Minister…

Posted by Noella_Mansrot [Raven] {WBM} on February 16, 2009, 02:33 AM report to moderator

He is 83 years old?! Wow, I thought he was something like 65. Great actor, perfect Fudge :)

Posted by darkveela on February 16, 2009, 05:02 AM report to moderator

...Cedric had beaten him to it, just as he'd beaten Harry to ask Cho to the ball. "The one who reaches the cup first gets the points. That's you. I'm telling you, I'm not going to win any races on this leg."[br]Cedric took a few paces nearer to the Stunne