Robert Hardy on his Former Role as Cornelius Fudge

Movies
February 14, 2009, 09:43 AM

Actor Robert Hardy has given a new interview, where he discusses his former role as Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge for the Harry Potter series. Confirming the part of Fudge is not in the upcoming HBP, Mr. Hardy reflects back on the joy he had when working on the set with his fellow Potter actors. Quotage:

I loved my time as Cornelius Fudge, Minister for Magic, but my character has now been erased! I knew it would happen, because he's quite a good part in the book, but there was no way they were ever going to fit everything into one film.

All three producers rang me up, separately, on the same day to give me the news - so I was told three times. They said, 'We're so sorry, we're having to cut the book by half,' so that was the end of that. I was very sad, because of the amusing and wicked people I worked with, like Robbie Coltrane, Michael Gambon and Maggie Smith, who is an old friend. It was such fun to film, and there were so many laughs on set that it was hard to come up with a sober face just before they shouted, 'Action!'

Robert Hardy also mentions some of the issues facing him as an older actor working in films (he is now 83 years old).

Every time I do something now, I have to jump the medical hurdle. The doctors usually say, 'Good God, is that how old you are?' then they report to the insurers, who immediately cry, 'Help!'

The insurers for the Harry Potter films were insuring me for a massive amount of money and being extra reluctant about it. I could almost hear them saying, 'Is he worth it? He's broken most of his bones, he's had cancer and he might drop dead at any moment!'

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Huffleportrait__1_of_1__thumb

I knew they probably would cut that, but it would have been such a fun scene.

Posted by HuffleWahine on February 14, 2009, 07:39 PM report to moderator
Icon_thumb

He was a great Fudge :-/

Posted by eviden on February 14, 2009, 07:46 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

I never realized he was that old, he looks good for his age!

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on February 14, 2009, 07:53 PM report to moderator
Dscn0194_thumb
1921 Points

He was such a good Fudge. Since Fudge didn’t die in the books, I wonder what happened to him, in Jo’s world ADH (after deathly hallows).

Posted by izziewitch on February 14, 2009, 07:56 PM report to moderator
Chanielizabeth_thumb

umm so i guess the minister of magic scene from deathly hallows is out… aka lame. this is very dissapointing.

Posted by ChaniElizabeth on February 14, 2009, 08:04 PM report to moderator
Chanielizabeth_thumb

Posted by ChaniElizabeth on February 14, 2009, 08:04 PM report to moderator
Img_7524_thumb

I was really, really hoping they’d put the “Other Minister” scene into HBP. Mr. Hardy did such a wonderful job as Fudge.

Posted by RavenclawDancer on February 14, 2009, 08:35 PM report to moderator
Chrissypuff_thumb

I guess I’m not surprised they cut the other minister, but I’ll miss it. I thought it was funny. He looks good for his age though… I would have NEVER guessed that!

Posted by ChrissyPuff on February 14, 2009, 09:35 PM report to moderator
Foto446_05

83 is not THAT old! I can’t believe that people are so insensitive to him like that, rethinking their choice because of his age! He’s a marvellous actor and he’s got loads more to give to the world! I HATE it when people just dismiss people in the third age just because they are old… I support you, Hardy!

Posted by Bell Dema [FTC!!!] on February 14, 2009, 10:05 PM report to moderator
Blastoid_thumb

Well, it was not a scene that would have made any sense to anybody: only the hardcore fans would remember who Fudge was. Most of the filmgoers would just be put-off by the scene, as it would just delay the story.

Posted by Wimsey on February 14, 2009, 10:09 PM report to moderator
Fish_02_thumb

he was a good fudge.

Posted by Gobbledygook [Sparrow] [WBM] J.O.R. on February 14, 2009, 11:04 PM report to moderator
Dontez_b_thumb

ITS SAD THAT HE WONT B BACK FOR THE LAST FILM HE WAS A GOOD MINISTER EVEN THO HE GOT ON MY NERVES IN THE FIFTH MOVIE AND BOOK LOL

Posted by Fresh Prince on February 15, 2009, 12:38 AM report to moderator
Hagid_potterpuff_thumb

he is an excellent actor and its a shame i would haveloved for them to get get who ever was the actual prime minister of the UK at the time and have him do the other minister scene

Posted by ravenclawguy1972 ~Prongs~ ( J.O.R.) on February 15, 2009, 01:38 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

I cannot believe he is now 83 years old!!!!! Wow!!!

Posted by *Adeline* ~ ROAR! :D on February 15, 2009, 02:35 AM report to moderator
Ravenclawscarf_thumb

what does it matter about the age of an actor ? !!! Playing the part is the reason people are employed to play parts in the films ! It is a great pity that hte films can’t follow the books exactly but some bits have to be cut to make the film as the finished film can only be a certain length unfortunately. Now If us the fans were able to make the films then they would probably last a full year for each book ! (which would be great for us, not so for the film company) shame but we who have read the books will each of us have our own way of re-creating the situations which would be good but we cant so we have to deal with what is presented to us. Shame.

Posted by Flittwick on February 15, 2009, 10:34 AM report to moderator

Without so much as a backward glance at his cabin, Hagrid was trudging off up the grounds with Madam Maxime...[br]"He fancies her!" said Ron incredulously. "Well, if they end up having children, they'll be setting a world record -- bet any baby of theirs

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014