Robert Hardy on his Former Role as Cornelius Fudge

Movies
February 14, 2009, 09:43 AM

Actor Robert Hardy has given a new interview, where he discusses his former role as Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge for the Harry Potter series. Confirming the part of Fudge is not in the upcoming HBP, Mr. Hardy reflects back on the joy he had when working on the set with his fellow Potter actors. Quotage:

I loved my time as Cornelius Fudge, Minister for Magic, but my character has now been erased! I knew it would happen, because he's quite a good part in the book, but there was no way they were ever going to fit everything into one film.

All three producers rang me up, separately, on the same day to give me the news - so I was told three times. They said, 'We're so sorry, we're having to cut the book by half,' so that was the end of that. I was very sad, because of the amusing and wicked people I worked with, like Robbie Coltrane, Michael Gambon and Maggie Smith, who is an old friend. It was such fun to film, and there were so many laughs on set that it was hard to come up with a sober face just before they shouted, 'Action!'

Robert Hardy also mentions some of the issues facing him as an older actor working in films (he is now 83 years old).

Every time I do something now, I have to jump the medical hurdle. The doctors usually say, 'Good God, is that how old you are?' then they report to the insurers, who immediately cry, 'Help!'

The insurers for the Harry Potter films were insuring me for a massive amount of money and being extra reluctant about it. I could almost hear them saying, 'Is he worth it? He's broken most of his bones, he's had cancer and he might drop dead at any moment!'

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Me_thumb

‘my character has now been erased! I knew it would happen, because he’s quite a good part in the book.’

I love that the way he says this sounds like he’s saying ‘I knew it would happen because he’s a good part and of course they always cut the good parts out of the film.’ I’m inclined to agree.

Posted by NatalieNoodle on February 14, 2009, 02:12 PM report to moderator
Headshot_thumb

What a cool guy. Now if only the character he played had been that awesome!

Posted by Brad Ausrotas on February 14, 2009, 02:14 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

Wow, I had no idea he was so old! Well, I’m glad he had a good time, though of course I wish we could have The Other Minister. Fudge is so great in that chapter. Oh well.

Posted by The Hufflepuff Giraffe on February 14, 2009, 02:23 PM report to moderator
The_hunger_games_catching_fire_mockingjay_pictures_katniss_peeta_thumb

I can believe they cut out his part from HBP but the worse news is when he said they’ve cut out half the book. Just another in the mounting reasons to totally fear how bad HBP is going to be, and giving greater fear to how bad DH is going to be even though they are making it into 2 movies!!!!!

Posted by Sirius B (HeartMagic104) on February 14, 2009, 02:24 PM report to moderator
Susieprominusface_thumb

I had no idea he was 83. He looks good for 83.

Umm…“we had to cut the book by half” —>>>SAAAADDD :(

Posted by SusiePuff [*SQUEE!!!*] on February 14, 2009, 02:33 PM report to moderator
P1010036_thumb

What a great gentleman. I will miss that chapter. With them making the movie into two you wonder why they had to cut it. It was a great bridge between muggle and wizzard world. Sad :(

Posted by Tonks1OoM4,CW[ROAR] on February 14, 2009, 03:28 PM report to moderator

Whoa, I can’t believe he’s 83! He looks much, much younger than that. I thought he was in his 60s or 70s.

Posted by runaroundkid on February 14, 2009, 03:45 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movie_hbp_september08_015_thumb

Aww I’m so sad he won’t be in HBP, I love him as an actor and I was so happy when he was in the films. :(

Posted by bealen on February 14, 2009, 04:40 PM report to moderator

Robert Hardy is a fascinating man. He’s in incredible shape for his age, and is one of England’s greatest character actors. He is also an internationally recognized authority on medieval arms and armour, and has written a book on the subject. He’s a serious scholar, with a degree from Oxford, I believe it is. (And did I mention a background as a Shakespearian actor?) Quite a guy!

Posted by Edmundstaustell on February 14, 2009, 05:17 PM report to moderator
Lunanargles_thumb

ok i seriously didn’t know he was that old! it kinda makes sense that he’s not in the movie he was a good character though!

Posted by calliet2b4g on February 14, 2009, 05:57 PM report to moderator
Swans_in_love_thumb
2062 Points

Aww poor Mr. Hardy! He’s pretty awesome though- 83 and still going strong! I’m gonna miss him in HBP

Posted by Alice Weasley{Weasley's Queen} [ROAR!] on February 14, 2009, 06:25 PM report to moderator

It’s a shame the other minister seen was cut because I really loved it. Hardy actually did a good job playing Fudge.

Posted by Heavenly_Horcrux on February 14, 2009, 06:33 PM report to moderator
Editedladybug_thumb

WOAH…We’re having to cut the book by half?!?!? NOW I’m scared…

My great-grandma’s turning 90 this year and she can’t remember anything or walk more than 12 feet at a time. He’s 83?!?!= O

Posted by sp00kym00ny~happy looks good on you! :] on February 14, 2009, 06:38 PM report to moderator

he sure as hell doesnt seem 83…
good for him!

Posted by Zoom on February 14, 2009, 06:41 PM report to moderator
Picture_3_thumb

I think it’s kind of sad that they’re cutting Fudge – it was such a good contrast between him and Scrimgeour – and both of them basically being crap for different reasons. But I guess the audience doesn’t really need The Other Minister chapter – it’s a lot of recap really, and you can show those things on film without describing them the way JKR did – that chapter is a very literary device. Still, it’s a shame, I always thought he was a perfect Fudge…. do we know if Scrimgeour’s in it/who’s playing him?

Posted by Araminta1987 on February 14, 2009, 07:00 PM report to moderator

Nearly Headless Nick stopped in his tracks and Harry walked right through him. He wished he hadn't; it was like stepping through an icy shower.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014