Robert Hardy on his Former Role as Cornelius Fudge

Movies
February 14, 2009, 09:43 AM

Actor Robert Hardy has given a new interview, where he discusses his former role as Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge for the Harry Potter series. Confirming the part of Fudge is not in the upcoming HBP, Mr. Hardy reflects back on the joy he had when working on the set with his fellow Potter actors. Quotage:

I loved my time as Cornelius Fudge, Minister for Magic, but my character has now been erased! I knew it would happen, because he's quite a good part in the book, but there was no way they were ever going to fit everything into one film.

All three producers rang me up, separately, on the same day to give me the news - so I was told three times. They said, 'We're so sorry, we're having to cut the book by half,' so that was the end of that. I was very sad, because of the amusing and wicked people I worked with, like Robbie Coltrane, Michael Gambon and Maggie Smith, who is an old friend. It was such fun to film, and there were so many laughs on set that it was hard to come up with a sober face just before they shouted, 'Action!'

Robert Hardy also mentions some of the issues facing him as an older actor working in films (he is now 83 years old).

Every time I do something now, I have to jump the medical hurdle. The doctors usually say, 'Good God, is that how old you are?' then they report to the insurers, who immediately cry, 'Help!'

The insurers for the Harry Potter films were insuring me for a massive amount of money and being extra reluctant about it. I could almost hear them saying, 'Is he worth it? He's broken most of his bones, he's had cancer and he might drop dead at any moment!'

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Johnb_thumb

Either he is the youngest 83 year old I have ever seen or HP had some good make up artists.

Posted by JohnB on February 14, 2009, 11:56 AM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

aww that’s horrible, being told three times? geez.

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on February 14, 2009, 12:00 PM report to moderator
Wrock_021_thumb

He’s 83?? He doesn’t look it.

It’s a shame, but they can’t do a six hour long movie.

Posted by Sarep [WBM] [IFTC] [Penguin] on February 14, 2009, 12:10 PM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

No minister and minister scene? Too bad. Of course, I hate when they have to cut anything out. Movies are ok but my true love of HP comes from Jo’s words. Of course!!

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on February 14, 2009, 12:27 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

It is truly a pity that they did not include him in the film. He certainly has given a superb rendition of the Minister Fudge! Nonetheless, I wish him the best of luck in his future projects.

Posted by Kirk on February 14, 2009, 12:29 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_002_thumb

What a great sense of humor about his age and his health! I’ll miss “The Other Minister” chapter – I wonder if this means they won’t do anything with Percy and Scrimgeour? But they’ve got to set them up for their position in DH. Do we know if Scrimgeour has been cast?

Posted by Agrippa1 on February 14, 2009, 12:36 PM report to moderator

83? Wow! He looks 50, if that!
I’m so sorry to hear that he’s not going to be in the movies (maybe he will do a small performance in DH?). That was a really entertaining interview :) I would love to see some behind-the-scenes footage of the adults too, not just the “kids”. It sounds like they had just as much fun making these films as we have watching them ;D

Posted by Sophie on February 14, 2009, 12:52 PM report to moderator
Lynx_kitten_-_smaller_thumb

I’m going to miss his performance as fudge.

Posted by ligress ROAR on February 14, 2009, 01:06 PM report to moderator
Img000029_thumb

I loved him as Fudge. Is he seriously 83? I thought he was a lot younger than that…

Posted by omgitslouise [WBM] [Ravenvlog <3's Me] on February 14, 2009, 01:11 PM report to moderator
N48913080_45953965_1570820_thumb

they could still have the other minister chapter but just with Scrimgeour. but really Fudge isn’t needed in HBP

Posted by Chad on February 14, 2009, 01:14 PM report to moderator
Officially_dazzeled_thumb
2013 Points

i wanted to see that chapter in the movie “the other minister” too.. i can’t believe he’s that old.. wow.. they’re cutting half of the book, ouch!!! that’s kinda scary… i just can’t wait for HBP now…

Posted by Pureblood-Slytherin [FTC!!] on February 14, 2009, 01:15 PM report to moderator
216cougar2_thumb

I really wanted to see “The Other Minister” scene, too bad.

Posted by Arthur22 on February 14, 2009, 01:28 PM report to moderator
Kelsbeedle_thumb

I’m really not surprised they’re cutting that chapter but still, I am disapointed. I would’ve liked to see that in the film!

He seems like a really great guy though. I can’t believe he’s 83! Wow.

Posted by Kelsey Crucio on February 14, 2009, 01:58 PM report to moderator

Too bad. That is one of my favorite chapters. Mr. Hardy looks fab for 83!

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on February 14, 2009, 02:04 PM report to moderator
Imgp0879__thumb

“They said, ’We’re so sorry, we’re having to cut the book by half,’ so that was the end of that.”
By HALF?? Um… anyone else read that?

Posted by Nikki Li [Alerion] on February 14, 2009, 02:04 PM report to moderator