Robert Hardy on his Former Role as Cornelius Fudge

Movies
February 14, 2009, 09:43 AM

Actor Robert Hardy has given a new interview, where he discusses his former role as Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge for the Harry Potter series. Confirming the part of Fudge is not in the upcoming HBP, Mr. Hardy reflects back on the joy he had when working on the set with his fellow Potter actors. Quotage:

I loved my time as Cornelius Fudge, Minister for Magic, but my character has now been erased! I knew it would happen, because he's quite a good part in the book, but there was no way they were ever going to fit everything into one film.

All three producers rang me up, separately, on the same day to give me the news - so I was told three times. They said, 'We're so sorry, we're having to cut the book by half,' so that was the end of that. I was very sad, because of the amusing and wicked people I worked with, like Robbie Coltrane, Michael Gambon and Maggie Smith, who is an old friend. It was such fun to film, and there were so many laughs on set that it was hard to come up with a sober face just before they shouted, 'Action!'

Robert Hardy also mentions some of the issues facing him as an older actor working in films (he is now 83 years old).

Every time I do something now, I have to jump the medical hurdle. The doctors usually say, 'Good God, is that how old you are?' then they report to the insurers, who immediately cry, 'Help!'

The insurers for the Harry Potter films were insuring me for a massive amount of money and being extra reluctant about it. I could almost hear them saying, 'Is he worth it? He's broken most of his bones, he's had cancer and he might drop dead at any moment!'

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Prophecy_thumb

What a shame. It would have been so cool to see “The Other Minister” and Mr. Hardy seems like such a good guy (clearly a nod to his acting skills as he is nothing like Corny Fudge-face).

Posted by DeliaDee on February 14, 2009, 09:49 AM report to moderator
Sparkler_thumb

Yes, I’m going to miss that chapter too.

Posted by Prof_Tofty on February 14, 2009, 09:54 AM report to moderator
06_thumb

He’s such a great Fudge, I wish we could have seen him in HBP.

Posted by silverwings [FTC!] on February 14, 2009, 09:56 AM report to moderator
Meg_og_freiman_avatar_thumb

He’s great as Fudge and I would love to see that chapter too, but I’m not actually surprised they’re not including it…

Posted by Ingvia [ROAR] on February 14, 2009, 10:03 AM report to moderator
The_thumb

whoa 83? more power to him!

Posted by wrockfangirl *ROAR!* on February 14, 2009, 10:03 AM report to moderator
Img_3521_thumb

Fudge isn’t my favorite character, but he played the part of Fudge so well. He was a good actor as Fudge, but I don’t even like fudge in the books that much.

Posted by McGiggles92 on February 14, 2009, 10:05 AM report to moderator
Photo_95_thumb

i’’m really not surprised that the cut that scene. it would have been cool though

Posted by vomit on February 14, 2009, 10:31 AM report to moderator
Th_names_thumb

I can’t believe he’s that old!

Posted by Ginevra86 on February 14, 2009, 10:38 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

It’s real pity they cut out that scene, but I’m not surprised at all.
Fudge is one of those characters I never put much thought into, but I must say he’s always done a good job playing him and it will be sad to see him go.

Posted by Dances with Dobby on February 14, 2009, 10:51 AM report to moderator

wow I cant believe he is that age! I do remember watching All Creatures Great and Small in the 1970s as a child, when he was already a reasonable age. But even so, I was imagining he was in his 60s! Maybe I’m in denial about my own age.

Posted by anne1 on February 14, 2009, 10:53 AM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

its sad he cant come back! He was great!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on February 14, 2009, 11:22 AM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

its sad he cant come back! He was great!

Avatar_thumb

I didn’t know that he was that old! 83, really? I hope that he comes back for Deathly Hallows and the whole MoM sequence.

Posted by wizardinventor on February 14, 2009, 11:26 AM report to moderator
C36--only-one-he-ever-feared_thumb

He’s 83 years old?!??! WHAT!?

Posted by LargeBlondDeathEater on February 14, 2009, 11:30 AM report to moderator
9013438_thumb

I can’t believe that is how old he is! Wow! I will miss the other minister chapter, but I knew they couldn’t fit everything into the movies

Posted by carebie on February 14, 2009, 11:49 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Ron reached inside his jacket and pulled out a fat gray rat, which was asleep. "His name's Scabbers and he's useless, he hardly ever wakes up."