PBS Masterpiece to Broadcast Dickens Special Including Radcliffe's "David Copperfield," Spall's Oliver Twist

Movies
February 12, 2009, 08:36 PM

PBS Masterpiece is broadcasting a series of films based on the classic works of Charles Dickens. This weekend, viewers here in the US will be able to view acclaimed actor Timothy Spall in Oliver Twist. This film, which was broadcast last year in the UK, features Mr. Spall (Peter Pettigrew) as Fagin, and you can watch a new video interview with the actor via this link, as well as view several clips from the film.

Also for those who have not yet seen actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) in his first film role, PBS will be broadcasting David Copperfield next month. The film, first made in 2000,  also stars Dame Maggie Smith, who of course will later appear with Dan in the Harry Potter series in her ongoing role as Professor McGonagall. You can see a trailer for this film at this link. Finally, in May, PBS will air The Old Curiousity Shop, which features Toby Jones, who provides the voice of Dobby the House Elf.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Th_hufflepuff2_thumb

Hopefully I’ll be able to watch them all!

Posted by lunalovegood97 on February 12, 2009, 09:02 PM report to moderator
Photo_41_thumb

Awwww, little Dan!

Posted by A*ROAR*a Borealis on February 12, 2009, 09:07 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

oh my gosh. David Copperfield. what a throwback.

Posted by Courtney Quirke on February 12, 2009, 09:16 PM report to moderator
Prophecy_thumb

I have David Copperfield on dvd (I really love Dickens). He’s so little and adorable. That production is like old home week for Harry Potter. Besides Dan and Maggie Smith, Imelda Staunton and Zoe Wanamaker (Madam Hooch) are also in it. It really is a great production. I highly recommend it.

Posted by DeliaDee on February 12, 2009, 09:22 PM report to moderator
Prophecy_thumb

Posted by DeliaDee on February 12, 2009, 09:24 PM report to moderator
Green_hummers_thumb

Cool I really like Charles Dickens and would like to see it. Maybe I will looking for the DVD. I seen soo many versions. I am looking forward to seeing this one.

Posted by Lady Grey OoM2,CW*ROAR* on February 12, 2009, 11:46 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

I second what DeliaDee said. The cast of David Copperfield is superb, espically our Dan. Ian McKellen, Bob Hoskins and many more familar faces are in this version. And Dan is so little and adorable!

Posted by Rhiannon on February 12, 2009, 11:51 PM report to moderator

The Masterpiece Theatre version of David Copperfield is actually one of my favorite movies EVER, and not just because of Dan. It is so incredibly well done and Dickens is just amazing and everything about it is so perfect… gets me all happy inside. :)

Posted by FinnBV on February 12, 2009, 11:57 PM report to moderator
Biker_old_lady4done_use_thumb

I will have to check to see if it’s broadcast on our cable. We have PBS but sometimes they don’t show everything. That’s one thing I miss about not having sattelite-all the different channels that we did get. It will be nice to see all the actors together again befor they did HP.

Posted by Cool G on February 13, 2009, 12:26 AM report to moderator
Cover_avatar_thumb

I’ve never been able to see David Copperfield. It should be really good. Hopefully I’ll be able to watch.

Posted by Attolia [squee!!!] on February 13, 2009, 12:29 AM report to moderator
1_thumb

They did this with Jane Austen this past Summer, I believe, and it’s great to see them do it with Dickens’ work!

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on February 13, 2009, 12:50 AM report to moderator
S1_thumb

MPT is so awesome.

Posted by Severed Lies [S.N.A.P.E.] on February 13, 2009, 03:31 AM report to moderator
Dscf0369_thumb

Interesting to see Dan pre HP!

Posted by Minerva McGonagall on February 13, 2009, 04:13 AM report to moderator
Chrissypuff_thumb

Awesome! It will be great to see Dan in the role that started it all:)

Posted by ChrissyPuff on February 13, 2009, 08:24 AM report to moderator
Huffleportrait__1_of_1__thumb

Yay!

Posted by HuffleWahine on February 13, 2009, 10:55 AM report to moderator

Harry could see him itching to go and examine the television and the video recorder.[br]"They run off eckeltricity, do they?" he said knowledgeably. "Ah, yes, I can see the plugs. I collect plugs," he added to Uncle Vernon. "And batteries. Got a very larg