Handprints of JK Rowling Now On Display in Edinburgh, Scotland

J.K. Rowling
February 12, 2009, 08:36 AM

Last year we told you author J.K. Rowling was to be honored by the city of Edinburgh, Scotland. The event took place in September, where Jo received the Edinburgh Award. In commemoration of this event, hand prints of the Harry Potter author have now been made, and are on display for the public. STV reports her "her engraved handprints in Caithness stone are in the grounds of Edinburgh's City Chambers, alongside those of fellow Edinburgh author Ian Rankin." Update: You can see a photo of Jo making her hand prints courtesy of Edinburghguide.com here in our galleries.
J.K. Rowling said:

"I was delighted to receive the Edinburgh Award, as this city and its wonderful inhabitants have meant so much to me for the last 15 years.

"I think it is particularly appropriate for a writer's hands to be represented, so I am deeply honoured to have my keyboard-chipped fingernails, not to mention my pen-induced friction callous, commemorated in the place where I produced Harry Potter."

George Grubb, Lord Provost of Edinburgh, said: "With the installation of the beautifully crafted stone bearing Ms Rowling's handprints, the City Chambers quadrangle is fast becoming a lasting visual testimony to some of Edinburgh's greatest living citizens.

"Our city is home to a huge wealth of talented individuals who truly put Edinburgh on a global stage through their achievements."

Thanks much John!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Th_names_thumb

Very nice! Can’t wait to see photos!

Posted by Ginevra86 on February 12, 2009, 08:42 AM report to moderator
1_760677928l_thumb

im so excited to see the photos!

Posted by aubrey015 on February 12, 2009, 08:52 AM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

Ah! A handsome commemoration indeed, lol.

Posted by Graymayne on February 12, 2009, 09:10 AM report to moderator
Profile_thumb
2090 Points

Awesome! I really must make Edinburgh my next trip destination…

Posted by KianaCP on February 12, 2009, 09:12 AM report to moderator
Matt_p_and_mj_thumb

This is a great honor for Jo and her family. She always speaks so highly of Edinburgh, it’s just so cool to see that there is mutual affection there.

Posted by MJLeakyCon on February 12, 2009, 09:21 AM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

I hope that I get to see those one day!

Posted by wizardinventor on February 12, 2009, 10:01 AM report to moderator

That is so awesome! =D

Posted by Sophie on February 12, 2009, 10:02 AM report to moderator
Dscf0369_thumb

Wouldn’t mind seeing that!

Posted by Minerva McGonagall on February 12, 2009, 10:17 AM report to moderator

I would really love to see that.

Posted by bookmonster79 on February 12, 2009, 10:26 AM report to moderator
Bookworm_thumb

I do hope I’ll be able to visit the site some day. Congratulations, Jo! :)

Posted by Bookworm Jen on February 12, 2009, 10:35 AM report to moderator
Biker_old_lady4done_use_thumb

This biggest thing I notices is where she said “to have my keyboard-chipped fingernails”. Is this an indication that she is hard at work writing again? I hope so. I need something new to look forward to on Harry and the rest of the Harry Potter World.

Posted by Cool G on February 12, 2009, 10:56 AM report to moderator
Wtl_thumb

Yay! Wish they’d done this while I was still studying there, but now it’s just another excuse for me to go back :D

Posted by Christie Roberts on February 12, 2009, 11:26 AM report to moderator
Potter_thumb

First lip prints, now hand prints. Whatever next!

Posted by gaminette [GTFO!] on February 12, 2009, 11:43 AM report to moderator
Greenavatar_thumb

Oh, that’s great ! I’m glad she was honored by the city that means so much to her.

Posted by Vicky Granger [ROAR] *Prof Adrasteia Andraste* on February 12, 2009, 12:12 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

Brilliant words from Jo, and I can’t wait to see those pics either.

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on February 12, 2009, 01:53 PM report to moderator

"You seem to be drowning twice," said Hermione.[br]"Oh am I?" said Ron, peering down at his predictions. "I'd better change one of them to getting trampled by a rampaging hippogriff."