Amazon UK: Harry Potter on Top Selling Lists of the Decade

Books
December 16, 2009, 11:51 AM

Sales of Harry Potter items are in the news as UK Amazon has released several lists today of top sellers over the past decade. The Telegraph reports that in the Top Selling DVDs and Blu-rays of the decade for the online retailer, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was number six on the list (number one was Mamma Mia followed by Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers)

The paper also reports that Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling is the best-selling author of the decade, and the beloved Harry Potter series had a commanding presence in the best-selling book category as follows:

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - JK Rowling

2. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - JK Rowling

3. Breaking Dawn - Stephenie Meyer

4. Twilight -Stephenie Meyer

5. Eclipse - Stephenie Meyer

6. The Tales of Beedle the Bard - JK Rowling

7. New Moon - Stephenie Meyer

8. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

9. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

10. A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Ed-in-chief_thumb

Was not unexpected – even the three coattailers in the top-five. Statistically, there are more hysterical tweens, teens and weird Twi-moms out there, so I get it. I love it when kids read – but something has got to be said about the HUGE DIFFERENCE in quality between the HP- and the Twilight-series.

Posted by chikitcorpuzvesterbaek on December 17, 2009, 05:45 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

Okay, I’m a Twilight fan but wtf?! They really don’t need that many spaces :O! I can’t believe so many people ordered for them. BUUUUT that actually is quite important. It means that Twi-hards aren’t as enthusiastic as HP fans because loads would line up the streets to get theirs but the Twilighters are just ordering them on Amazon. Which means HP is better xD

Posted by Beazy :) (Formerly: MidnightSun321 ) {!!ROAR!!} on December 17, 2009, 06:40 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

^ As you can see I’m definatly more into Harry more than Twilight :)
Who says I can’t read both?
And I laugh when I see Twilight critisicm because I know it’s rubbish.

Posted by Beazy :) (Formerly: MidnightSun321 ) {!!ROAR!!} on December 17, 2009, 07:07 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Thank You!!!! I am so happy that HP is over Twilight! If Twilight had been before HP I think I might have cried!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on December 17, 2009, 07:46 AM report to moderator
Thecorporeal_rzeznik02_thumb

I think it’s a little harsh to judge everyone’s intelligence of reading another series. While HP is my number one, I did read Twilight Saga right (and I mean, as in good timing, weeks exactly) before the craze. I still have a special place for it because I enjoy some aspects of it. Calling someone stupid for reading it is a little ignorant. You don’t need to be college educated to enjoy HP either. :P
Anyway, all that said, YAY for Jo! <3

Posted by RainOnThePrettyOnes on December 17, 2009, 08:27 AM report to moderator
Thecorporeal_rzeznik02_thumb

Anyway, all that said, YAY for Jo! <3

Posted by RainOnThePrettyOnes on December 17, 2009, 08:28 AM report to moderator
Araneus_diadematus_thumb

Remember: this is just AMAZON: most Harry Potter fans go to REAL bookstores to stand in line with other fans and get the books in their hands: it’s a celebreation NOT a commodity. People ordering their books online is a more recent phenomenon, and OotP and GoF etc predate this… but all the TwiBooks have been sold as a lump probably since the movies came out.

If you add up the sales generally (not just Amazon) guaranteed that Potter is tops.

Posted by Caracticus on December 17, 2009, 09:00 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I’m suprised actually because Twilight is new and popular and the HP books are a few years old but still I’m very happy. Harry seems to be beating Twilight a lot lately. Also HP has been in a lot of lists lately too!!!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on December 17, 2009, 09:22 AM report to moderator
Me_at_hogwarts_thumb

Whoo go Harry Potter!!! wat i dont get though is why someting as shallow and one-topic as Twilight made the list at all. Really its about a vampire and human girl. Whoop-de-do. I read them, but it was boring. I knew what was gonna happen. It was predictable and really did not have the depth, detail, meaning, or heart that Harry Potter has. Such a dissapointment in the human race.

Posted by ProfessorAlice on December 17, 2009, 09:40 AM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Squee for Harry and Jo!!! :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on December 17, 2009, 10:06 AM report to moderator
Alan4_thumb

woohooooo!!!! awesomesauce!

but um….all the Twilight books…? (wth?) I mean, I’m ok if it’s just Breaking Dawn or Eclipse or else. But ALL of them? Oh, well….

Posted by friedikins on December 17, 2009, 12:09 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

OMG!! thats awesome! Congrats Jo.
but why arent all of her books in the top ten? seriously! all the twilight books are up there and i personally didnt like new moon. neither did my friends and sister who is opssesed with twilight. i might be bias but i think that Jo’s books desrve the 8 spots in the top 10….and it doesnt have to be consecutive, just 8 spots (including #1 of course!)
i agree with chikitcorpuzvesterbaek there is a huge quality difference between the two series and its deffinately not stressed according to this list!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on December 17, 2009, 12:49 PM report to moderator
Puppet_pals_yes_thumb

They are seriously running out of things to give to the HP series… :)

Posted by phoenixes are in ravenclaw on December 17, 2009, 03:36 PM report to moderator

YAY for HARRY POTTER!!!

Posted by madman1277 on December 17, 2009, 04:44 PM report to moderator

YAY for HARRY POTTER!!!

Posted by madman1277 on December 17, 2009, 04:44 PM report to moderator

...Dumbledore had drawn back his wand and waved it as though brandishing a whip. A long thin flame flew from the tip; it wrapped itself around Voldemort... For a moment, it seemed Dumbledore had won, but then the fiery rope became a serpent, which relinqu