Scholastic and a Decade of Harry Potter

Books
December 15, 2009, 12:19 PM

As the year draws to an end, Scholastic, US publishers of the Harry Potter novels, have a reminder for us today of the remarkable decade that was, and the amazing impact of the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. The sales figures are staggering, but as publisher Arthur A. Levine and VP of Scholastic reminds us, the true magic has been in the reading:

"What the numbers leave out is the singular experience that so many young people had of actually growing up WITH a literary character, which had never been done before. "Kids who began reading Harry Potter when they were in elementary school, finished Harry's story as they finished major life milestones in this decade. And they took with them not only a deep experience of the pleasure a book can bring, but a validation of hopefulness that one's actions matter more than one's circumstances, and a message that truly love does conquer all."

As a recap, the following is a list of some of the milestones the series (and we fans) have seen these past years:

(All sales figures are U.S. only)

July 8, 2000 -- 3.8 million - the record-breaking initial print-run of "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire."

July 11, 2000 -- 3 million - copies sold in the first weekend from the release of "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," breaking all publishing sales records.

March, 12, 2001 -- Release of "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" and "Quidditch Through the Ages" with net proceeds to benefit Comic Relief, UK.

June 21, 2003 -- 6.8 million - the record-breaking initial print-run of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix."

June 22, 2003 -- 5 million - copies sold in the first 24 hours following the release of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," breaking all publishing records.

July 16, 2005 -- 10.8 million - the record-breaking initial print-run of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince."

July 17, 2005 -- 6.9 million - copies sold in the first 24 hours following the release of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," breaking all publishing records.

June 14, 2006 -- Scholastic's Kids and Family Reading Report reveals that 76% of parents say reading Harry Potter has helped their child do better in school.

August 1 & 2, 2006 -- 2 sold-out nights of "Harry, Carrie & Garp." J.K. Rowling, Stephen King and John Irving read and answered questions for fans at Radio City Music Hall, benefiting Doctors without Borders and The Haven Foundation.

June 4 - July 20, 2007 -- 40 libraries across the country visited by the Knight Bus where fans were invited to share on video their thoughts and feelings about the Harry Potter Books.

July 21, 2007 -- 12 million - the record-breaking initial print-run of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows."

July 22, 2007 -- 8.3 million - copies sold in the first 24 hours following the release of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," breaking all industry records.

August 2, 2007 -- 11.5 million - copies sold in the first 10 days following the release of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows."

October 15-19, 2007 -- 2,000 - books signed by J.K. Rowling at each of four free events on the Open Book Tour, where J.K. Rowling read, from "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" and answered questions at the Kodak Theater in Los Angeles, the New Orleans Convention Center and Carnegie Hall in New York City.

June 11, 2008 -- Scholastic's Kids and Family Reading Report finds that 74% of kids say reading Harry Potter made them interested in reading other books. http://www.scholastic.com/readingreport

September 23, 2008 -- 7 1/2 hours - spent by hundreds of fans reading aloud J.K. Rowling's first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in its entirety at Scholastic's "Cover to Cover" event in celebration of the tenth anniversary of the book's publication.

December 3, 2008 -- Scholastic releases "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" to benefit the Children's High Level Group, a charity co-founded in 2005 by J.K. Rowling and Baroness Nicholson of Winterbourne, MEP to make life better for vulnerable children.

September 20, 2009 -- 228 - weeks Harry Potter spent on The New York Times bestseller list.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

These book have inpacted soooo many people that any other series would not have been able to do.

Posted by The Nerd on December 16, 2009, 08:21 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

It HAS been fun…

Posted by Won_Two on December 16, 2009, 08:28 AM report to moderator

Don’t forget that Harry Potter held the top three spots on the NYT Bestseller list as the millenium rolled into 2000. Here is a link to the January 2, 2000 list: http://www.hawes.com/2000/2000-01-02.pdf

I figured any series capabale of holding the top three spots at any given time was worth MY attention. Thank you Ms. Rowling for a wonderful decade!

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on December 16, 2009, 08:32 AM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

amazing and inspiring.

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on December 16, 2009, 08:36 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

WOW. Those are amazing stats! Great Job Harry Potter and of course J. K. Rowling!!!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on December 16, 2009, 09:09 AM report to moderator
250px-youre-a-wizard

I wish the next decade will be also for Harry Potter or any other novels from J.K. Rowling.
(maybe came true if Jo will release the Harry Potter encyclopedia :)

Posted by EnricoDc on December 16, 2009, 09:26 AM report to moderator
Downsize_-_copy__2__thumb

Dude that was an awesome decade and would never be forgotten

Posted by Kewlguy21 on December 16, 2009, 09:31 AM report to moderator
Zs_thumb

God, it’s so unbelievable! I remember getting the first two books for Christmas when I was in 2th grade… I am incredibly thankful to Harry to have spent the last decade and my childhood with me.

Posted by adyzsofi on December 16, 2009, 10:04 AM report to moderator
1204091927_thumb

best decade EVER
thanks a million Jo :)

Posted by Heroine Luna on December 16, 2009, 10:41 AM report to moderator
Muggleplease_thumb

This brought tears to my eyes.

Posted by acciodee! [WBM!] on December 16, 2009, 10:55 AM report to moderator
Normal_hp_actors_thumb

Congrats JK! It’s been a nice run.

Posted by CandyCane2304 on December 16, 2009, 11:23 AM report to moderator
Iconator_e5413e9850e2294d5bfb655a9ead163b_thumb

Man, I’m about to cry! This makes me so sad that the end of an amazingly wonderful decade of HP is ending. HP has shaped my life and defines who I am today. Jo has done something that no one else has been able yo do. I am sooo grateful that I have been a part of something so magical. I have learned so much from HP and it will live in my heart forever and ever <3

Posted by PadfootLover4ever on December 16, 2009, 11:28 AM report to moderator
Dscn0187_thumb

and i think hp will continue to dominate for another decade

Posted by Laura Keaton [WBM!] on December 16, 2009, 11:41 AM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

wow… I can’t believe that it’s been ten years. I hadn’t realized it before, but I really did grow up with Harry Potter. Amazing series! And these are some incredible numbers. Oh and Arthur Levine’s statement is so very true.

Posted by da_member0808 on December 16, 2009, 01:20 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

I was fortunate enough to discover the books in November 2006. I am incredibly grateful for that. I’m so happy that I was one of the lucky fans who actually got to know how it felt like to wait for a book. It makes me tear up at the thought of it. I’m so so so happy that I have HP in my life. Thank you Jo! And long long Harry Potter!

Posted by Christine on December 16, 2009, 01:40 PM report to moderator

"It sounds as though you've been trying to sew your skin back together," said Mrs. Weasley with a snort of mirthless laughter, "but even you, Arthur, wouldn't be [i]that[/i] stupid --"