Total Film: Harry Potter "Franchise of the Decade"

Movies
December 14, 2009, 10:59 AM

This week, Total Film magazine is releasing their newest issue with ten different covers as part of their special on best of the decade. Harry Potter will be featured on one of the covers (also here in our galleries) as "Franchise of the Decade." Coming in at number 8, the cover says about Harry Potter: "From page to screen, how Harry Potter made movie magic. Plus, first word on the epic finale." If anyone can get scans of the feature inside the magazine, please send them to staff@the-leaky-cauldron.org!

Also, thanks to our Order partner RupertGrint.net we know the magazine will also have a feature on Rupert dressed as one of his favorite film characters, Napoleon Dynamite.

Thanks RG.net

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Thio_palha_o_msn_thumb

And I thank Justin the Mighty, for clearing things up!

Posted by Thio on December 15, 2009, 09:12 PM report to moderator
Moon3_thumb

I’m not surprised it made the list, but I would think it would be higher.

Posted by Figment on December 15, 2009, 10:30 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-stars_thumb

well duh ;)

Posted by harrygetsme on December 16, 2009, 02:07 AM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

oooo. cool. i wish they put a better photo on the cover though. and i know it has 2 b harry, but draco would be much, much better. i know, i know – just a silly in-love-with-draco girl. whatever. say what you want…

Posted by MaggieNoise on December 16, 2009, 04:54 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_025-copy_thumb

hmm… i wrote a comment in response to this, and it never showed up- sad day.

basically, I just wanted to say 1. thanks, Justin, for being able to read and clearing that up. 2. Even if it was a ranking system, I don’t care how big of an HP fan you are, LotR by far deserves to be number one in any such film competition. This is not heresy in anyway, and it’s a little embarrassing to see that some people might actually think that. There is nothing wrong with being fans of multiple series (i myself am a huge fan of LotR, narnia, harry potter, i’m not as big on star trek but i enjoy it. i don’t like twilight, but you know, as long as you don’t try to say that twilight is a better book than HP, we can still be friends…). And I’m sorry, the Harry Potter movies in the grand scheme of films aren’t that good. LotR, on the other hand, truly are all amazing films. That’s not to say that I don’t enjoy HP movies for what they are, and they have definitely improved a lot with each film, but there is no comparison with something like LotR, which is arguably one of the best book to movie translation ever made.

Also, to whoever commented on the HP franchise losing fans, I wanted to reply that actually, after the HBP movie, I have had several friends finally decide they wanted to read the books (hallelujah!) and who have become much more into the series than they ever were before. Again, with the moves getting better, I do think it still retains the power to draw in new fans. So while it may be loosing people in some areas, I do think that by and by from what I’ve seen, it’s still gaining fans.

Posted by Rinny on December 16, 2009, 09:33 AM report to moderator
Dobbysnap_thumb

Thanks, Thio and Rinny. :) And your comment did show up, Rinny. But it’s on a different page. (I had the same issue yesterday. A follow-up comment regarding a typo ended up on an earlier comment page. Rather wonky.)

Posted by Justin the Mighty on December 16, 2009, 03:36 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_025-copy_thumb

huh, that is really weird. well now everyone can rush to analyze how i rephrase myself when i’m having to repeat what i already once said. hah.

Posted by Rinny on December 16, 2009, 04:15 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

Cool… but EMPIRE COPYCATS!!!!!!

Posted by Beazy :) (Formerly: MidnightSun321 ) {!!ROAR!!} on December 16, 2009, 06:48 PM report to moderator
Earthforeverava_thumb

It seemed like people aren’t really reading the bio below the covers. HP is the FRANCHISE of the decade, but it came in at number eight. Lord of the Rings is number one because it’s the EPIC of the decade while Star Trek is SCI FI of the decade. Nevertheless, it’s sad that the COMEDY of the decade (Shaun of the Dead) is ahead of the FRANCHISE (HP).

Posted by leigia on December 16, 2009, 09:00 PM report to moderator
Playermodel

thats cool, i wonder whats number 1

Posted by jonfrog {ROAR} on December 18, 2009, 03:40 AM report to moderator
Dobbysnap_thumb

strangles leigia I’ve covered this. And Rinny worked her magic on this too. They’re ranked by category. The covers aren’t ranked 1 through 10. They’re simply numbered 1 through 10, with the top of each category getting a respective cover. Now you’re re-confusing people! Slytherin attack!!! more strangling

Posted by Justin the Mighty on December 18, 2009, 06:35 AM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

Harry, you’ll always be #1 to me!

Of course it was “Franchise of the Decade”, how could it not?

Posted by inferi_shark_blood on December 19, 2009, 08:46 AM report to moderator
Darthhallows_thumb

I just looked at the top 10 it is so lame. Okay I’ll give them Lord of the Rings for number one—I personally didn’t care for them but that’s just me. But Batman and James Bond as 2 and 3. Batman Begins was a good movie but the Dark knight wasn’t great. James Bond sucked James Bond has always sucked it’s just a bunch of showy action with bad puns and comercials mixed in. Harry Potter has two movies in the top 5 hightest grossing movies of all time, 4 in the top 10 and all in the top 25. That makes it the true Franchise of the Decade.

Posted by StarWarsHippie on December 20, 2009, 01:44 PM report to moderator
Me_desirable_1_thumb

Congrats to HP, although I feel it should have been ranked better!!

Posted by paul_hp_fan [OoM2] *ROAR* on December 22, 2009, 09:36 AM report to moderator

"It was one of my more brilliant ideas, and between you and me, that's saying something."