Harry Potter Cast and Crew Interview Round Up for HBP DVD Release

HBP Film
Posted by: Edward
December 13, 2009, 10:40 PM

A slew of interviews with actors and producers from the Harry Potter films are now online in conjunction with the recent DVD release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.  In the first of three articles from the Toronto Sun, Potter producer David Heyman comments on why the Half-Blood Prince DVD was produced with more special features than previous film released.  In part, he says:

"I have very mixed feelings about it. I made — we made — a conscious decision early on to reveal very little. If you look at the early DVDs, there is very little behind-the-scenes materials. That was for a couple of reasons. We wanted to preserve the mystery. And I think there is real validity to that, although we are probably the only film in the world that now takes that position. The other reason that we withheld is that we didn’t want to put anything on the DVDs that would show how things were being done in the upcoming film. We wanted the pleasure of the new film not to be interrupted. Now that we’ve come to the end (with the production of Deathly Hallows), we’re a little more comfortable. On this sixth DVD, for instance it is much more open in terms of what we are showing."
Actress Jessie Cave (Lavender Brown) relates this feeling as well, saying in a second article from the Sun, "I think it’s great because you see people having fun on set as well. You see what they’re really like."  Among the special features included on the DVDs, Miss Cave is featured during owl handling training.  Regarding this experience, and its inclusion on the DVD, Miss Cave is quoted as saying:
"I learn to fly an owl, which is cool. It was beautiful, but docile. I was a bit shocked. I thought I was going to be really squeamish but I was okay. And I was just happy to share with everybody how much goes into this."
A third article from the Canadian publication relates the feelings of Mr. Heyman on the futures of Potter Stars Dan Radcliffe (Harry), Rupert Grint (Ron), and Emma Watson (Hermione).  Giving the tremendous success of the young actors to "luck," Heyman goes on to give his predictions at the possible futures of the trio.  Quoteage:
"Dan will continue acting and maybe directing. I think he’s interested in that.

"Rupert will continue acting. Rupert is one of the most original people you will ever meet, really lovely. He’s a one-off. And I think Rupert is a really talented actor with great comic timing.

"Emma, if she wants, can be a movie star. She is hugely talented and incredibly in touch with her imagination. She is fiercely intelligent and I think she could do whatever she chooses to do."
A fourth and final article comes from The Welland Tribune, in which producer David Barron discusses the plethora of special features found on the Half-Blood Prince DVD.  Noting that "it is about enhancing the experience," Mr. Baron goes on to say regarding the responsibility of balancing the business and entertainment sides of things, "anything that we can do that provokes a genuine additional interest is very worthwhile. And it provides something extra for our audience, our very loyal following. We do have a responsibility."

The Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince DVD is currently available on DVD and BluRay.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Downsize_-_copy__2__thumb

ey bought this the day it came out and it was rad ha put it on my surround sound…nice uh and i got the map to

Posted by Kewlguy21 on December 14, 2009, 08:08 PM report to moderator
Downsize_-_copy__2__thumb

#1, #5, and #6 was the best so far and #5 cuz Dumbuldore gets to face Voldemort and of course Voldedormt gets scared ha

Posted by Kewlguy21 on December 14, 2009, 08:10 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

very nice interviews!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on December 14, 2009, 09:29 PM report to moderator
Ari_with_roses_thumb

you know what i would have loved on the dvd… a slide show of EVERY product at Weasley Wizard Wheezes OoOo a tour of the Room of Requirement

Posted by Amy Darlene on December 14, 2009, 09:53 PM report to moderator
Bab10_thumb

More wierdly unbalanced comments about the main three from David Heyman, I see… none too interested in saying much about Radcliffe but plenty of praise for the other two.
And it annoys me that they have been so stingy with the extra features until now, they missed the boat because most DVDs of major movie releases have some great featurs, sounds like the producers are just making excuses when they talk about not intefering with the “magic.”

As to the look of the DVDs…I think the quality of the picture when playing a regular DVD can depend on the size and resolution of your HD TV. Standard DVDs just don’t look as good when shown on my 50 inch plasma.

Posted by Old_gnarled_woman on December 15, 2009, 12:59 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

DVD is way too dark!

Posted by Won_Two on December 15, 2009, 01:36 AM report to moderator

Way not to praise Dan, David. What don’t we know?

Posted by pottershrink on December 15, 2009, 03:24 AM report to moderator
Image_thumb

Well, I think Dan gets a lot of press – and he’s been praised a lot throughout the years by these people. I don’t think their admiration and appreciation of him is really in question. I do think it’s nice to hear the (from what I can tell) accurate descriptions of both Emma and Rupert. Rupert, especially. He really is an original and hilarious guy. He seems to really get it when it comes to comedy – even the most subtle hints that bring out the authenticity of the story and characters.

Posted by Smitch on December 15, 2009, 04:27 AM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

My one is great on DVD nerf. Maybe its just the light? I have watched the movie but haven’t had time to watch the special features. Can’t wait to see them. :)

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on December 15, 2009, 06:31 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

@pottershrink Dan gets too much attention!!!

Awesome!!!!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on December 15, 2009, 07:15 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

I would love to see dan dirtor some mooives

Posted by The Nerd on December 15, 2009, 08:28 AM report to moderator

I hope that we will eventually get an edition (on DVD, not just on Blu-Ray) with commentary tracks. LOTR and then Narnia set the standard there, so why has HP never gone that way? Didn’t Warner see a market for it? Ok, so it means you (might) need two discs just for the movie itself (depending on how many commentary tracks you have. The LOTR Special Extended editions all spread the movies across two discs with four or five commentary tracks, but they were of course very long movies.

P.S. Before posting, I made a quick check around about the so-called “Ultimate” editions now coming on-stream, but one review on Amazon says “disappointly, there’s no commentary”. What gives?

Posted by SpellWraith on December 15, 2009, 01:00 PM report to moderator

SpellWraith, they are right, no commentary tracks which I think is a crock. I would love to hear the cast and Rowling herself, do a track. The Movie Experience extras that is on Half-Blood and the first two ultimates come the closest we have to commentary tracks. But yes, criminal that we still have no scene by scene commentary by anyone involved.

Posted by LLcruize on December 15, 2009, 06:44 PM report to moderator

I have to disagree with Heyman’s justification for the lack of extras on the DVD’s. No magic is lost with having a simple making of or commentary track. It has been criminal the lack of quality extras on these disks. Finally, with Half-Blood Prince, they give up the goods and no magic is lost. I have the BluRay release and I have watched it 5 times already. It has become my favorite of all the Potter movies and my favorite release on disk. I so want to get the Ultimate Editions of 1 and 2, but I will have to wait for a little more money to come my way :)

Posted by LLcruize on December 16, 2009, 10:46 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

I didn’t find any DVD for HBP that was recently released.. they said it is sold out… waahhhh…. calling on WB.. please release copies some more..

Posted by alegria35 on December 17, 2009, 09:14 AM report to moderator

[i]"Ginny!"[/i] said Mr. Weasley, flabbergasted. "Haven't I taught you [i]anything?[/i] What have I always told you? Never trust anything that can think for itself [i]if you can't see where it keeps its brain?"[/i]