Harry Potter Cast and Crew Interview Round Up for HBP DVD Release

HBP Film
Posted by: Edward
December 13, 2009, 10:40 PM

A slew of interviews with actors and producers from the Harry Potter films are now online in conjunction with the recent DVD release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.  In the first of three articles from the Toronto Sun, Potter producer David Heyman comments on why the Half-Blood Prince DVD was produced with more special features than previous film released.  In part, he says:

"I have very mixed feelings about it. I made — we made — a conscious decision early on to reveal very little. If you look at the early DVDs, there is very little behind-the-scenes materials. That was for a couple of reasons. We wanted to preserve the mystery. And I think there is real validity to that, although we are probably the only film in the world that now takes that position. The other reason that we withheld is that we didn’t want to put anything on the DVDs that would show how things were being done in the upcoming film. We wanted the pleasure of the new film not to be interrupted. Now that we’ve come to the end (with the production of Deathly Hallows), we’re a little more comfortable. On this sixth DVD, for instance it is much more open in terms of what we are showing."
Actress Jessie Cave (Lavender Brown) relates this feeling as well, saying in a second article from the Sun, "I think it’s great because you see people having fun on set as well. You see what they’re really like."  Among the special features included on the DVDs, Miss Cave is featured during owl handling training.  Regarding this experience, and its inclusion on the DVD, Miss Cave is quoted as saying:
"I learn to fly an owl, which is cool. It was beautiful, but docile. I was a bit shocked. I thought I was going to be really squeamish but I was okay. And I was just happy to share with everybody how much goes into this."
A third article from the Canadian publication relates the feelings of Mr. Heyman on the futures of Potter Stars Dan Radcliffe (Harry), Rupert Grint (Ron), and Emma Watson (Hermione).  Giving the tremendous success of the young actors to "luck," Heyman goes on to give his predictions at the possible futures of the trio.  Quoteage:
"Dan will continue acting and maybe directing. I think he’s interested in that.

"Rupert will continue acting. Rupert is one of the most original people you will ever meet, really lovely. He’s a one-off. And I think Rupert is a really talented actor with great comic timing.

"Emma, if she wants, can be a movie star. She is hugely talented and incredibly in touch with her imagination. She is fiercely intelligent and I think she could do whatever she chooses to do."
A fourth and final article comes from The Welland Tribune, in which producer David Barron discusses the plethora of special features found on the Half-Blood Prince DVD.  Noting that "it is about enhancing the experience," Mr. Baron goes on to say regarding the responsibility of balancing the business and entertainment sides of things, "anything that we can do that provokes a genuine additional interest is very worthwhile. And it provides something extra for our audience, our very loyal following. We do have a responsibility."

The Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince DVD is currently available on DVD and BluRay.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Picture_057_thumb

oh, those HP producers. well it seems they’ve finally realized they have a real responsibility to us – it’s not every fan base that will stick with you a good ten years. and if they’re holding back for “the magic’s” sake, then after DH, the deluge.

Posted by abandonedboyjon on December 13, 2009, 11:23 PM report to moderator
_r9kau7w_thumb

agreed. if they arent telling us stuff now for the mystery i expect a whole lot of extra features on DH or an entirely new dvd of bloopers/behind the scenes/interveiws/making of etc etc separate for DH…bring it on.

Posted by Nealie Zealbie on December 13, 2009, 11:42 PM report to moderator
_r9kau7w_thumb

*FROM dh not for…but whatever

Posted by Nealie Zealbie on December 13, 2009, 11:43 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

My mother accidentally purchased for me the single disc DVD and not the two disc one! I must say that I am disappointed to be deprived of the opportunity to view all of these special features. However, it is my hope that this situation is remedied shortly. :D

Posted by Kirk on December 13, 2009, 11:53 PM report to moderator
Lltqav1-1

I messed around with some of my tv settings and the movie does look much better. Certainly not perfect, or “amazing”, and no where near the quality of most of my other DVDs… but it’s better. And now I shall stop spamming this section. :)

Posted by Nerf on December 14, 2009, 05:59 AM report to moderator
Closeupoftriohbp_thumb

Purchased the DVD 2-disc set but haven’t had time to watch it. I also purchased the single DVD. I am a nut about this but what can I say. Was very upset that I couldn’t find the Ultimate Editions of the first 2 movies. Guess I will just have to order them online. I have never had a problem with watching the movies on my TV-52" HD TV (can’t remember the brand). I have already seen the movie on DVD and it looked great to me!

Posted by beewell on December 14, 2009, 10:18 AM report to moderator
Lltqav1-1

And yet no one mentions how HORRIBLE the movie looks on DVD. Worst DVD video quality I have ever seen. Everything is faded, drained of its color, and sharpness and detail is gone. Everything is fuzzy, grainy, blurry… they ruined the movie and I am extremely upset and I don’t know why the would sabotage the DVD like this.

Posted by Nerf on December 14, 2009, 03:51 PM report to moderator
Normal_hp_actors_thumb

@Nerf mines looks amazing on DVD. Maybe it’s your TV because mine is absolutely gorgeous.

Posted by CandyCane2304 on December 14, 2009, 04:37 PM report to moderator
Muggleplease_thumb

@Nerf: Really? My DVD’s image looks amazing. Is your television HighDef?

Posted by acciodee! [WBM!] on December 14, 2009, 04:40 PM report to moderator
Hydrangeas_thumb

i did not get mine yet i am getting mine for christmas but i hope i get the ultamet addation soo i can c all the behind the seans

Posted by alicia00 on December 14, 2009, 04:42 PM report to moderator
Hp__neville__s_patronus_by_pen_umbra_thumb

I’m never that much into the special features, but some of them are neat.

Posted by All Was Well on December 14, 2009, 05:38 PM report to moderator
Lltqav1-1

Yes, I have an HD Samsung TV. Mine is a DVD and not a blu-ray, is that what you two have, or do you have it on standard DVD like me? After watching, I went and found a review of the DVD online and they said what I saw: bad video quality.

Posted by Nerf on December 14, 2009, 06:26 PM report to moderator
Lltqav1-1

Drat, can’t edit my comments. In addition, while watching the special features, any clips they had of HBP, or any of the movies for that matter, looked fantastic. And I do have other DVDs of movies and shows that look amazing. But this movie, along with the previous one, seem to not look very good. The quality of HBP makes the 5th movie look great, when it also has a faded, jagged edges look.

Posted by Nerf on December 14, 2009, 06:30 PM report to moderator
Normal_hp_actors_thumb

@Nerf, I have the blu-ray version but watched on the regular DVD that came with blu-ray since I don’t have my PS3 yet. I also watched it on itunes via computer and iphone, perfect for me.

I watched mine on HD too a Dynex tv.

Posted by CandyCane2304 on December 14, 2009, 06:58 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

An interesting article, this. I think that Rupert, Dan and Emma are very talented and should do well in theatre or other movies. Our DVD is fine, and very clear, and we have an older TV. Maybe nerf got a bad disk. Good luck, Nerf, i hope you get the problem sorted out.

Posted by Fresca ROAR on December 14, 2009, 07:02 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Professor Trelawney broke into hysterical sobs during Divination and announced to the startled class, and a very disapproving Umbridge, that Harry was [i]not[/i] going to suffer an early death after all, but would live to a ripe old age, become Minister o