WSJ: Tom Felton Talks Jason Isaacs, Draco and Epilogue of Deathly Hallows, More

DH Film
December 11, 2009, 06:31 PM

Thanks to the Wall Street Journal we have an another good interview with Tom Felton to update you on tonight, where the Draco Malfoy actor discusses working on Deathly Hallows, his character in the Epilogue, making some of the features found on the newly released Half-Blood Prince DVD and more. Of interest are new comments from Tom who says they have just filmed "some of the very last scenes from the very last film," and "it’s very moving, because this is what we’ve been working toward forthe last 10 years. Daniel [Radcliffe] is the figurehead of the series, so when we see him battered and abused and scarred [while in character] on set, you get all emotional."

Tom also goes on to speak about working with acclaimed actors on the film series, notably Jason Isaacs, Ralph Fiennes and Jim Broadbent:

In the final scenes, you get to work with more of the adult cast, which must be a nice change of pace — as well as a high-end acting workshop.Definitely. I was always one of the 800 kids floating around, and now I get to work more with the big guns, if you will. They’re all incredibly nice people. Jason Isaacs, who plays my dad [Lucius Malfoy], is especially great. I wouldn’t go up to Ralph Fiennes [who plays Lord Voldemort] and ask, ‘How do you cry?’. But Jason I feel quite comfortable asking, ‘how do you do this, and how do you do that?’. And he would never take offense if one were to go, ‘Jason, just shut up.’The most helpful thing he’s taught me is to speak up, because when you’re surrounded by these great actors, you tend to be the quiet voice when everyone is talking, and he taught me to stand up for myself. On “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,” Jim Broadbent joined the cast and very oddly, he played my dad in my first movie when I was 7. Because I haven’t seen him in 10 years, I was convinced he wouldn’t remember me, but from the first moment he saw me, he called my by my character’s name from that first film. I’m a massive fan of his. He’s probably one of the most underrated actors, certainly in the U.K.

...

In J.K. Rowling’s final scene, we seen Draco and Harry as adults, almost nodding to each other at the train station. What do you think happened to Draco in the meantime? "It’s all beautifully left to interpretation, isn’t it? I really hadn’t given it too much thought, but one thing I got from that final scene is that there is that recognition moment between Harry and Draco as they put their kids on the train, and it’s a very real moment, and very touching. I can only hope the filmmakers actually use us on the day they shoot that [scene, and not older actors]. I like to think that Draco has slightly separated himself from his family and his kid isn’t as annoying as he was as a kid."

Speaking of “Half-Blood Prince,” you’re featured quite a bit in the extras for the newly released DVD and Blu-rays. Were you guys consciously shooting extra bits during the film’s production expressly for the DVD? "In previous years, without knocking them too much, [the DVD producers] kind of just threw the extra bits they couldn’t use from the movie onto the extras. This time, because they knew the Blu-ray was going to be able to hold a lot more content, the cast and the publicity team literally sat down and talked about what we would be willing to do and what we’d be happy to do, so that’s where ideas like the “Quickfire Questioning” came from. It was really cool for us, because they gave us [actors] a camera crew each for a day, and we all went to a different departments that we had never gone to. Because obviously, the actors get a lot of praise, but there are all these amazing people building set and making wands that, many of whom, we’d never even met. So it was fascinating to talk to them [for the DVD featurettes] and explain what they do to the audience."

Thanks much Michelle! On a related note, MTV has yet another interview online with Tom, where he speaks this time about the different directors over the past years on the Harry Potter film series, saying by far current director David Yates is his personal favorite: "I get on with him like a house on fire. I think he's a genius at what he does..."Chris Columbus was a fantastically fun guy to work with, especially with kids because we didn't know what we were doing and he was a brilliant person to try to get us into it and for it to remain fun,which is essential," Felton said.He added, "Alfonso obviously had a very artistic view of it and a lot of fun with him."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Iconator_4a84e48cd91bc7150c419e167949a783_thumb

that’s a great interview with Tom! So refreshing to hear those things. All this DH filming makes me anxious for November, but I want it to take it’s time!

Posted by cosmo409 on December 12, 2009, 11:19 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Very good interview!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on December 12, 2009, 11:35 AM report to moderator
Amelie_by_yishui_thumb

I enjoyed the Quickfire Questioning feature, and Tom is so wonderful.

Posted by RAzzLe on December 12, 2009, 11:48 AM report to moderator
Iconator_0ddd959618ae9a78efb424ee6e099b53_thumb

Awww, Jim remembered him ;) I never knew they’d played together before, that’s kinda sweet…

Posted by AK on December 12, 2009, 01:05 PM report to moderator
Iconator_7fa3cb670bce345350cd6832b9b7b562_thumb

As always a great interview :) I hope they don’t use older actors too, there’s no need!!

Posted by DracoRox *ROAR* on December 12, 2009, 02:43 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

I’m glad Tom is getting more attention!!!

I hope his hair will be ok after all is said and done :-)

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on December 12, 2009, 03:22 PM report to moderator

great interview!

Posted by Dawna on December 12, 2009, 05:06 PM report to moderator
Hp__neville__s_patronus_by_pen_umbra_thumb

That Draco-Harry moment at the end of DH could be absolutely splendid (If Yates doesn’t feel like being “edgy”).

Posted by All Was Well on December 12, 2009, 06:06 PM report to moderator
_r9kau7w_thumb

its fun to hear all the tidbits of dh and the making of all the previous movies. i really enjoyed toms interview…that shows how different he is than the character he portrays…hes a really excellent guy!

Posted by Nealie Zealbie on December 12, 2009, 09:03 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

tom’s amazing. he’s just so, so, so, so great!! gotta love him. im so excited to see him in other films (but dreading HP to end). i love how he cares about his fans so much. I <3 TOM!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by MaggieNoise on December 13, 2009, 01:28 AM report to moderator
Bildschirmfoto_2013-01-31_um_11

Thank you for posting it!

Posted by Spinner's End ^HISS^ (ITC) on December 13, 2009, 06:41 AM report to moderator

i wonder how he will feel about about the “receding hairline”

Posted by IrishgryffinpuffGirl on December 13, 2009, 12:20 PM report to moderator

Lovely interview!

Posted by Jillxoxo on December 13, 2009, 12:46 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Great interview! I love Tom! I love how he gets along with Jason so well and I hope they also use them in the epilogue as well. :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on December 13, 2009, 04:01 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-stars_thumb

i always am interested to hear what tom has to say. good interview!

Posted by harrygetsme on December 13, 2009, 07:29 PM report to moderator

Harry's other presents were much more satisfactory than Dobby's odd socks -- with the obvious exception of the Dursleys', which consisted of a single tissue, an all-time low -- Harry supposed they too were remembering the Ton-Tongue Toffee.