MTV: Filming on Deathly Hallows Now Will Run Until June 2010

DH Film
December 10, 2009, 10:11 PM

There are several new interviews to update on tonight, as actor Tom Felton has been busy with the press during his recent trip to New York. One of those interviews has been with MTV, where Tom discusses filming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and the article points out the ongoing shoot still has a long way to go, stating that filming will now run until June. Of interest are new comments from Tom on the filming of the Battle of Hogwarts, as he stated "It's kind of cool, because this is the first time we've had so many castmembers on one set at one time, especially everyone from the evil camp and everyone from the good camp in a Western-style showdown — without revealing too much," said Felton, who plays the nefarious Draco Malfoy. "It's an amazing last scene, what we've shot of it so far. It's very exciting..."I've rarely had an opportunity to work with the evil family," he said. "I'm working with Helena Bonham Carter, who's a lovely lady and also a completely scary witch when she wants to be. I'm enjoying working with adult cast tremendously."

Earlier Tom Felton also spoke to Female First, where he again spoke of filming those dramatic Hogwarts castle battle scenes, filming at the outdoor set at Leavesden we saw earlier this year. Tom spoke about the vast amount of work that goes into making these films, as well as the detail created by those in the crew:

"So, you know when you’re making the film, obviously, we see it and you’re in these amazing settings and there’s all these places, how do you create that, how easy is it like, you know filming with green screens.

Well, it’s a mixture. If you came down to the set you may not, it’s pretty funny. Whatever is in front of the camera is obviously decently lit, heated and looks amazing, the props etc, whilst anything behind the camera is basically err, up to our own devices, lots of cables running about and lots of building materials and the rest of it.

For example we’ve been shooting outdoors at the moment and they build, basically this decrepit castle that’s all been smashed up and it’s quite incredible… so a lot of credit goes to Stuart Tozer who’s the set designer, it’s never an easy task.

They go such lengths of detail too, one example from an earlier film is when the students get books to read in the class room, and to be honest, there was no need for that book to have anything written in it, but it’s actually 122 pages of withering text that some guy’s sat down and written just to help the other kids and stuff like that, so it’s incredible the amount of detail that they go to!"

Thanks to Tom who let us all know via his Twitter he was also featured in the LA Times Ministry of Gossip blog, where he did a Q & A session. Tom spoke script readings he did with Michael Gambon and Alan Rickman before filming Half-Blood Prince:

MD: Your character takes a huge step up in "Half Blood Prince," more presence and certainly more drama. Were you nervous?

TF: I came into the film horribly nervous. Our director, David Yates, had terrific confidence in me. I had some one-on-one readings with Michael Gambon and Alan Rickman, which made me even more nervous! Draco's quite solemn in this film, so I spent most of my free time on set staring at walls. Usually in between takes we'd talk about what movie we saw last night. I had to practice feeling despondent from everyone else.

Finally be sure to check out a new video interview with Tom on ABC news here
(or here in our galleries)

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Copy_of_hit_dat_thumb

I don’t really care when the 1st part comes out. I’m not going to be satisfied until I’ve seen the both part 1 and 2 from beginning to end, back-to-back ;)

Posted by Inzainiac on December 11, 2009, 06:47 PM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

glad they’re shooting even more, but i must admit, with Dan saying there’s huge rewrites and changes and frank dillane doesn’t even know if they want him back for sure (just a “maybe” now), it sounds like sloppy filmmaking. scripts usually go thru a dozen drafts, but you stop before production. making changes during is dangerous, because it’s hard to see the whole picture when you shoot out of order. there were even discrepencies in HBP resulting from doing this.

two months is a long time to add. they aren’t just shooting inserts, that’s for sure.

Posted by abandonedboyjon on December 11, 2009, 07:08 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

i dont mind as long as it doenst effect the day it comes out (pushes back the dead line) and the moe filming, the more thurough, the more detail, the more they can try to stick to the books right?

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on December 11, 2009, 10:32 PM report to moderator
P4093399_thumb

@abandonedboyjon No, actually you’re wrong..They never stop rewriting the script for big films.. I don’t know if you’ve watched the “making of” documentaries of The Lord of the Rings but EVERY single day the actors received a new changed script.. and everyday they had to rememorize it during their make up time.. And look how that turned out.. LotR are incredible films.. so it doesn’t matter.. if they’re trying to make it as accurate as possible, then fine by me..
As for the delay.. I don’t think there will be one.. they have plenty of time.. after all, Tom’s talking about the battle which is part of the 2nd movie..

Posted by Natalia {ROAR} on December 11, 2009, 10:51 PM report to moderator

a 2 month delay will not affect release

Posted by hallowman on December 11, 2009, 11:47 PM report to moderator
Q3_thumb

I think the movies will still come out on time, because into June, that’s probably the last half of the movie…..so at least the 1st half will come out on the right time. I don’t think WB wants to have to go through that again……

But this sounds really amazing I’m so excited for this movie. The fact that they are putting so much into it really means they want to end this in the right way <3
GAH I can’t wait!

Posted by KennedyJames on December 12, 2009, 02:10 AM report to moderator
Groucho2_thumb

Like others, I’m also wondering if DH 1 will be pushed back and released later than planned, or if the scenes for DH 1 are completed and in editing?

Also, this comment from Felton caught my eye: “one example from an earlier film is when the students get books to read in the class room, and to be honest, there was no need for that book to have anything written in it, but it’s actually 122 pages of withering text”

Hm, I wonder if someday we’ll see the publication of Slinkhard’s Defensive Magical Theory?

I still want Hogwarts, A History, as well as Home Life and Social Habits of British Muggles

Posted by budb on December 12, 2009, 02:25 AM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

@Natalia. well, yes, I know it’s a thing they do now, and every time they do it, I think Sloppy! I hate the lotr films, so I’d agree with you there.

Posted by abandonedboyjon on December 12, 2009, 03:29 AM report to moderator
Moon3_thumb

Sounds great, they can take as long as they need to make it great.

Posted by Figment on December 12, 2009, 03:33 AM report to moderator
Iconator_4a84e48cd91bc7150c419e167949a783_thumb

Fantastic! Just to echo what everyone said, it gives them time to make it better.

does anyone know how they shoot battle sequences without Emma? this is off topic, but just ocurred to me that she’s not there for a bulk of filming.

Posted by cosmo409 on December 12, 2009, 04:49 AM report to moderator
282337_f260_thumb

i have a nasty feeling that both of these movie will run UNDER two hours!

Posted by PensievePlotter on December 12, 2009, 05:55 AM report to moderator
282337_f260_thumb

or maybe at most both movies will be a LITTLE over two hours, that would make them the shortest Potter films yet.

Posted by PensievePlotter on December 12, 2009, 05:56 AM report to moderator
Me_desirable_1_thumb

Sounds good, it gives them time to make the films even more Fantastic!!!!

Posted by paul_hp_fan [OoM2] *ROAR* on December 12, 2009, 06:10 AM report to moderator
Animation_thumb

its gonna be the saddest thing when the last one comes out and then boom its done

Posted by lilmisssnape on December 12, 2009, 07:11 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Wow, that is incredible that they write in the books!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on December 12, 2009, 08:42 AM report to moderator

"Why would anyone want to celebrate the day they died?" said Ron, who was halfway through his Potions homework and grumpy. "Sounds dead depressing to me...."