The Prodigal Son Returns: Chris Rankin Filming as Percy Weasley for Deathly Hallows

DH Film
November 04, 2009, 01:16 PM

In the wait before the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, our fandom debated...and debated...and debated on many topics, one being the possible return and redemption of Percy Weasley. When we learned the news that actor Chris Rankin was to return as Percy for the final Harry Potter movie, we were all delighted; today it is perhaps bittersweet news that we learn he is indeed filming, for we know those scenes do involve the return of the prodigal son if you will, following some very dramatic, and very emotional moments for the beloved Weasley family.  Yesterday, Chris said via his official Twitter: "morning all! back in the trailer... learnt how to use my wand yesterday afternoon. I now know how to attack and defend in 5 different ways!" Today the weather is a factor for all as he stated "back at hotel after an enjoyable afternoon's filming (if a little cold)."

TLC has gotten some reports over the past week that filming is ongoing this weekend on the outside lot at Leavesden Studios, where there are many green screens and various buildings that are thought to be used for the battle portion of the final movie. On a related note too, another photo from the set of Deathly Hallows has surfaced online on HP4U, this showing the inside of the Weasley home, and the kitchen.

Leaky's Harry Potter Twitter list is the most exhaustive collection of news and official Harry Potter information in the world. Be sure to follow it today!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

I somewhat disliked Percy all through the books, especially since OOTP, and was quite happy and surprised when he came to his senses in DH. But, like others have said, his return in the movie (as in the book) marks the start of an extremely sad passage.. :‘-( I couldn’t believe my eyes when I read about Fred dying. ;‘-( I was like "no, no, no, he can’t be dead, he can’t be dead! I’m not believing this, I won’t have this!"

Long Live Fred. We love you so much. <3

Posted by MischiefManaged on November 05, 2009, 06:00 AM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

neat :]

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on November 05, 2009, 06:13 AM report to moderator

According to James, he was at home watching the sesame street 40th anniversary show while everyone else is filming.

This means Fred died already and he is done filming!!!!:(((

Posted by Vaporage on November 05, 2009, 06:50 AM report to moderator
Muahaha_thumb

There’s no telling how deep Percy’s role will be. He may just get one line, “I resign!” and that could be it. I hope there’s more to it, of course!

Posted by ScottMan on November 05, 2009, 07:15 AM report to moderator

where is my post???? I commented yesterday, and my comment disappeared!!!!!!!!!! it’s so annoying…

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on November 05, 2009, 07:22 AM report to moderator

why doesn’t my posts show??????

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on November 05, 2009, 07:23 AM report to moderator
Hp_buddyicons_caught_bellamlfy_96x96_129322477441953550_thumb

i agree with mischiefmanaged…i haven’t been very fond of percy throughout the series (but i guess all families have a rather unenjoyable sibling somewhere)

R.I.P. Fred

Posted by HalfBloodPrincesss (Jenna Evans) on November 05, 2009, 07:30 AM report to moderator
Untitled-4_thumb

Ah, very Shakespearean (?) we gain one back, and lose another. And we love them both, tragic! I sincerely hope they give Percy’s redemption the justice it deserves, it’s one of the main themes of the books, the effect of war on families. The Weasleys finally have their family put back together, and Fred is killed. Percy hasn’t really had too much contact with them for a long time, and a brother of his dies, both heartbreaking and so, so very sad at the same time, a true picture of how war effects the family. I REALLY hope they do it justice.

Posted by mini bagel on November 05, 2009, 07:38 AM report to moderator

It’s gonna be awesome that he’s in it. Only people who haven’t read the books aren’t gonna remember him. :P

Posted by ApplesArthur on November 05, 2009, 07:49 AM report to moderator
Kc_lucius1_thumb

yay love chris rankin!

Posted by KC Nox on November 05, 2009, 07:50 AM report to moderator
I-quote_ravenclaw0183_thumb

awesome

Posted by LulubelleI {WBM} on November 05, 2009, 08:03 AM report to moderator
Harrypotter_thumb

Wow. The movie is faithful!! Hope it turns out great, and shatters our expectations.. :)

Posted by MikeMagpuyo on November 05, 2009, 08:04 AM report to moderator
Pluto_thumb

Great news and photos!
(Let’s not think about Fred’s death now)

Posted by simos girl {WBM} ~Lemon~ on November 05, 2009, 09:05 AM report to moderator
Harry-potter-4_thumb

Excelent! Can«t wait to see Percy fight in Hogwarts! Finally on the good side!

Posted by Hmrc5 on November 05, 2009, 09:25 AM report to moderator
Harry-potter-4_thumb

Excelent! Can«t wait to see Percy fight in Hogwarts! Finally on the good side!

Posted by Hmrc5 on November 05, 2009, 09:26 AM report to moderator

"Mum's always wishing we had a house-elf to do the ironing," said George. "But all we've got is a lousy old ghoul in the attic and gnomes all over the garden."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014