The Prodigal Son Returns: Chris Rankin Filming as Percy Weasley for Deathly Hallows

DH Film
November 04, 2009, 01:16 PM

In the wait before the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, our fandom debated...and debated...and debated on many topics, one being the possible return and redemption of Percy Weasley. When we learned the news that actor Chris Rankin was to return as Percy for the final Harry Potter movie, we were all delighted; today it is perhaps bittersweet news that we learn he is indeed filming, for we know those scenes do involve the return of the prodigal son if you will, following some very dramatic, and very emotional moments for the beloved Weasley family.  Yesterday, Chris said via his official Twitter: "morning all! back in the trailer... learnt how to use my wand yesterday afternoon. I now know how to attack and defend in 5 different ways!" Today the weather is a factor for all as he stated "back at hotel after an enjoyable afternoon's filming (if a little cold)."

TLC has gotten some reports over the past week that filming is ongoing this weekend on the outside lot at Leavesden Studios, where there are many green screens and various buildings that are thought to be used for the battle portion of the final movie. On a related note too, another photo from the set of Deathly Hallows has surfaced online on HP4U, this showing the inside of the Weasley home, and the kitchen.

Leaky's Harry Potter Twitter list is the most exhaustive collection of news and official Harry Potter information in the world. Be sure to follow it today!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Well, this is fantastic, but…

Percy’s role was barely in the films. He randomly disappeared after Film 2, and then he randomly made an appearance at the Ministry without much of an explanation. We don’t see any of the drama with Percy in the movies, so it won’t be as touching, I suspect.

Posted by SwedishSkinJer on November 04, 2009, 06:06 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I’ll be sooo sad when Fred dies but when dobby dies I’ll be dead inside. He was an amazing character in the book!!!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on November 04, 2009, 06:15 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

that’s awesome!! yay chris! he’s a great percy = )

Posted by DesQueJteVois on November 04, 2009, 06:53 PM report to moderator

NOOOO
I DIDNT WANT FRED TO DIE!
poor george :(

Posted by dobbyis_free on November 04, 2009, 07:25 PM report to moderator
Slytherin_girl_thumb

Awww, poor Fred! :(

Posted by LadySidi on November 04, 2009, 08:06 PM report to moderator
M005_edited-1_thumb

They’re already filming the battle!! woohooo! Chris always updates the filming/hints the scenes on twitter, that’s why I followed him.

RIP Fred!!! :(

Posted by ginevrapotter07 on November 04, 2009, 08:34 PM report to moderator
Slytherin_wearing_by_mazza_909_thumb

I’m making sure to carry lots of tissues to the theater when this finally comes out!

Posted by Genine_Malfoy on November 04, 2009, 09:35 PM report to moderator
Wicca_thumb

I am already tearing up, thinking about that scene.

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on November 04, 2009, 10:24 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

OMG! I have been following him on Twitter and love hearing how he is filming again… SQUEE!!

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on November 04, 2009, 10:42 PM report to moderator
Banana_l_thumb

I’m still in denial about Fred, so if you all could just pretend it didn’t happen… :’(

Posted by Iceholic on November 04, 2009, 11:37 PM report to moderator
Dobbyyoda_thumb

Looking forward to seeing these scenes.

Posted by bookishgal,OoM3,GS on November 05, 2009, 12:55 AM report to moderator

Yay! Nice to know! I can’t waiiiiit! :)

Posted by Mairéad on November 05, 2009, 05:35 AM report to moderator
Postejeunes4_thumb

Woohoo! I’m so glad he’s back.

Posted by Boy With A Lightning Scar on November 05, 2009, 05:43 AM report to moderator
Micleakyavatar_thumb

That is ine of my fave scenes – the one where Percy shouts: “Hey minister, i don’t think i’m coming to work on monday!”

Posted by shellymione {WBM} on November 05, 2009, 05:48 AM report to moderator
The_master_close_up_thumb

I’m glad they’re including Percy’s return in DH. Although not much has really been mentioned about him being gone or estranged from the family in the films. Just some scenes in OOTP, but still it’ll be a good addition to the bittersweetness of the events in the film.

Posted by vespasian68967 on November 05, 2009, 05:52 AM report to moderator

"That glass ball that smashed wasn't the only record of the prophecy. I heard the whole thing in Dumbledore's office, he was the one the prophecy was made to, so he could tell me. From what it said, Harry took a deep breath, "it looks like I'm the one who