John Hurt to Film again as Ollivander this Month for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
November 04, 2009, 12:48 PM

Actor John Hurt has made some new comments regarding his role as the mysterious wandmaker Mr. Ollivander for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Confirming his character will be in both films, John Hurt spoke to Rotten Tomatoes about filming again this month on the movie, as well as some frank comments on the studios in Britain, large franchises and more. Quotage:

JH: I've filmed one, which actually is the last one, and now I've got the penultimate one to do which is in November, and that wraps it all up. It's a big loss for Britain in terms of having a big studio movie here, but it's not representative of our culture in terms of the films that we make. I am convinced that though Pinewood and Shepperton -- the big studios -- playing host to big movies is very important, our film business is in the independent world. Of that I'm convinced...

Do you think the big franchise movies shooting in the UK give a false impression of the health of our industry? All these productions move in and hire local talent, but they aren't British films.

JH: No, they're not British films. Even Harry Potter isn't a British [franchise]. We gave it to Warners, we just sit and collect. That always infuriates me. I do think huge areas of the industry are being neglected and we've lost the ability for middle-budget films. When we did have a stronger industry -- and not just a business -- we did have room for middle-budget films. They've gone out of the window, as they've done in America as well, but a $20m picture would be wonderful to make every now and then. We could do a lot for that.

But it's like any country, if you don't have a lot of money to spend. And it's interesting seeing how much money gets spent on Harry Potter. It's quite absurd, really. I watch it and think it's just the same as Hollywood. I look around and you've got three costumes there, none of which are likely to be worn, and they're all replicas of each other. It's a vacuous waste of money and it drives me insane."

Thanks so much Joe!

Leaky's Harry Potter Twitter list is the most exhaustive collection of news and official Harry Potter information in the world. Be sure to follow it today!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Screen_shot_2011-08-05_at_5

i remember he is exactly what i pictured ollivander to look like

Posted by Sirius17 -ROAR_ on November 05, 2009, 09:49 AM report to moderator
Image

They do spend lots of money! But he’s awesome!

Posted by magicmaniac on November 05, 2009, 10:00 AM report to moderator
Image

They do spend lots of money! But he’s awesome!

Posted by magicmaniac on November 05, 2009, 10:02 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

John Hurt is an amazing Ollivander!!!!!!!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on November 05, 2009, 10:16 AM report to moderator

WOOT

Posted by madman1277 on November 05, 2009, 10:28 AM report to moderator
Natalieportman14_thumb

“It’s a vacuous waste of money and it drives me insane.”

Hear, hear! I completely agree with this statement.

Posted by Tassana Burrfoot on November 05, 2009, 11:00 AM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

I’m thrilled Jon Hurt is back and what he said was very enlightening…

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on November 05, 2009, 12:47 PM report to moderator
Wicca_thumb

I love John Hurt. He is awesome as Ollivander.

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on November 05, 2009, 02:11 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

So glad that he is back as Ollivander! SQUEE!

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on November 05, 2009, 02:45 PM report to moderator
Hydrangeas_thumb

yahh

Posted by alicia00 on November 05, 2009, 03:51 PM report to moderator
Banana_l_thumb

I totally agree with abandonedboyjon’s comments. And with John Hurt’s.

Posted by Iceholic on November 05, 2009, 04:07 PM report to moderator
98143829_thumb
1910 Points

Good. It would be strange if Olivander wasn’t the same Olivander we met in the 1st movie!!!

Posted by Jane_Potter on November 05, 2009, 07:12 PM report to moderator
Closeupoftriohbp_thumb

I’m glad he is going to be back. He is an awesome actor and play Olivander wonderfully! Very good interview. Great to hear more news about DH!

Posted by beewell on November 06, 2009, 01:05 AM report to moderator
Image_thumb

It’s good to hear a voice from the industry expressing some concerns and speaking out against wastefulness and greed. That is one thing that we can all do without – even though we love this series, I’m sure we could all agree that we hope it is created on screen in the most socioeconomically friendly way.

Posted by Smitch on November 06, 2009, 01:36 AM report to moderator
Thumb_dh_unofficialstills_harry_ron_hermione_012_thumb

I’m so glad he’s back for DH. I fely he should have been in GOF, as well.

Posted by dreampotter [ROAR!] on November 06, 2009, 04:35 AM report to moderator

"I hope you told them to dress properly, these people," he snarled at once. "I've seen the sort of stuff your lot wear. They'd better have the decency to put on normal clothes, that's all."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014