John Hurt to Film again as Ollivander this Month for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
November 04, 2009, 12:48 PM

Actor John Hurt has made some new comments regarding his role as the mysterious wandmaker Mr. Ollivander for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Confirming his character will be in both films, John Hurt spoke to Rotten Tomatoes about filming again this month on the movie, as well as some frank comments on the studios in Britain, large franchises and more. Quotage:

JH: I've filmed one, which actually is the last one, and now I've got the penultimate one to do which is in November, and that wraps it all up. It's a big loss for Britain in terms of having a big studio movie here, but it's not representative of our culture in terms of the films that we make. I am convinced that though Pinewood and Shepperton -- the big studios -- playing host to big movies is very important, our film business is in the independent world. Of that I'm convinced...

Do you think the big franchise movies shooting in the UK give a false impression of the health of our industry? All these productions move in and hire local talent, but they aren't British films.

JH: No, they're not British films. Even Harry Potter isn't a British [franchise]. We gave it to Warners, we just sit and collect. That always infuriates me. I do think huge areas of the industry are being neglected and we've lost the ability for middle-budget films. When we did have a stronger industry -- and not just a business -- we did have room for middle-budget films. They've gone out of the window, as they've done in America as well, but a $20m picture would be wonderful to make every now and then. We could do a lot for that.

But it's like any country, if you don't have a lot of money to spend. And it's interesting seeing how much money gets spent on Harry Potter. It's quite absurd, really. I watch it and think it's just the same as Hollywood. I look around and you've got three costumes there, none of which are likely to be worn, and they're all replicas of each other. It's a vacuous waste of money and it drives me insane."

Thanks so much Joe!

Leaky's Harry Potter Twitter list is the most exhaustive collection of news and official Harry Potter information in the world. Be sure to follow it today!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Wicca_thumb

I love John Hurt.

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on November 04, 2009, 10:05 PM report to moderator
Hermione3_thumb

Wow, they do spend quite a bit on Harry Potter!

Posted by Fire Berry on November 05, 2009, 05:03 AM report to moderator
Trio_poster_thumb

So, that means that they are sooting scenes in Malfoy’s Manor or at Shell Cottage.. OMG, sooooo excited… :)

Posted by Petra on November 05, 2009, 05:13 AM report to moderator
Groucho2_thumb

ah, but one could argue (with some justification) that JKR, HP related hoopla and the films have been one of the cornerstones of the UK economy for the past decade!

Posted by budb on November 05, 2009, 05:21 AM report to moderator
Darthhallows_thumb

It’ll great to see John Hurt back as Ollivander!

Posted by StarWarsHippie on November 05, 2009, 05:23 AM report to moderator
Postejeunes4_thumb

I think he’s not entirely wrong about the franchise itself not being entirely British anymore. The rights belong to Warner, the Park is being built in Orlando… The actors may be British, but the movies really aren’t. Anyway, I’m glad he’s back!

Posted by Boy With A Lightning Scar on November 05, 2009, 05:48 AM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

ooh pretty cool that he’s back :]

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on November 05, 2009, 06:17 AM report to moderator
Me_desirable_1_thumb

I love that he’s back to portray Ollivander!!!

Posted by paul_hp_fan [OoM2] *ROAR* on November 05, 2009, 06:26 AM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

well i’m with mr. hurt. i wish the hp films were more reflective of the style of filmmaking the brits are so good at – independent, faithful adaptations of great literature… instead their like other american blockbusters… it is a little sad.

Posted by abandonedboyjon on November 05, 2009, 07:05 AM report to moderator

Wow, never heard someone speak of the movie industry/Harry Potter that way. Interesting…

Posted by Leeann on November 05, 2009, 07:07 AM report to moderator
Me_desirable_1_thumb

I agree with MischiefManaged, I hope we get to see Harry’s insight into Voldemort’s mind. In my opinion the insights are key parts of the story.

Based off of what John Hurt says about being in DH1 & DH2 and Yates stating “the first part of the film will be on the trio going from place to place, like a great journey, and the second show Hogwarts being destroyed”, I believe Yates is going to end DH1 after Dobby’s burial.

Posted by paul_hp_fan [OoM2] *ROAR* on November 05, 2009, 07:15 AM report to moderator

I was just wondering if he’d be back to play Ollivander — great news.

Posted by Oh, Neville OoM4, GS on November 05, 2009, 07:16 AM report to moderator
Harrypotter_thumb

Gosh, this is great! And FYI he’s in Merlin, too.. he’s the dragon. I love HP!

Posted by MikeMagpuyo on November 05, 2009, 08:01 AM report to moderator
Hp-lupin-wand-short-100_thumb

I’m so glad he’s coming back, if they changed actors it would be too weird…

Posted by Lucida on November 05, 2009, 08:27 AM report to moderator
Animation_thumb

cant wait

Posted by lilmisssnape on November 05, 2009, 09:00 AM report to moderator

The narrow path had opened suddenly onto the edge of a great black lake. Perched atop a high mountain on the other side, its windows sparkling in the starry sky, was a vast castle with many turrets and towers.